Holiday Retirement

Updated 24 October 2014
1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 28 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 55 reviews)

• The community managers don't seem to want to work as a team; very dictatorial (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Stressful like most sales jobs, however very fulfilling.

Current Employee - Sales Leader and Mentor in Tallahassee, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader and Mentor in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is great and insurance is wonderful. I believe that working with seniors and helping them transition to the next phase in life is most rewarding. I very much enjoy the team environment at the property level and the ability to work in the community and build solid relationships. I look forward to he growth opportunity within the company and the support I receive from my region director and regional sales leader.

Cons

Like most sales jobs the stress sometimes is difficult to manage, there are many different spinning wheels within the company that make it tick. I believe that every job is what you make it and no job is perfect.

Remember what made you one of the most successful and profitable senior organizations
    The resident. A clear message to the regional staff that can be clearly filtered down to the property level.

If you thrive on abuse, horrific hours, inconsistency , cut throat management ....you've found your dream company!

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meeting and working with seniors and their families was an awesome experience.

Cons

So much negative information to write it would take too long.This company has the mentality that they will work their employees to death and expect them to go the extra mile without one word or appreciation. It's all about " what can you do for me tomorrow?" They have no interest in the welfare of their employees and they manage by intimidation. I had 7 different bosses in one year. Average work week was 60-80 hours a week and it was expected!!!! The left hand and right hand had no clue what the other was doing. Rules changed on a daily basis. Corporate pitted managers and sales leaders against each other. Best advice: Run, run, run!!!

Go to confession and beg for forgiveness. It WILL catch up with you eventually!!!

Love it

Former Employee - Server in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got to serve my great Aunt dinner and make some great connections here.

Cons

Limited hours, work on holidays

enrichment coordinator assisted livinf

Current Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator Assisted Living
    Current Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator Assisted Living

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

residents, staff almost all working toghether. Quality of life work/Life Balance. Great benes :). all the poeple that say no one cares or listens. Do you do your job. I started a little over a year ago have received employee of month and Service of Exellence award.

Cons

Pay could be better

Holiday Touch? just what is that ?

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Residents hands down. I will do anything for them I do not care what the guide lines are they pay my wages so you know where you can stick your guide lines

Cons

having to tell my residents NO!!!! I have been thur so many Managers and Co's but the ones I have now are by far the worse I have never known two people that can lie so much and get a way with it . I go to work everyday sick not knowing if that is the day I get the pink slip I stay for my residents I work for them not the company and it's pretty bad when your leader has done things and said things that a normal staff member would have lost their job all they get is a slap on the hand .

If your not a people person This is not the Job for you

Just plain bad. Everyday is emotionally exhausted.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very little / just benefits

Cons

Micro managed, threatened, too many conference calls, run down buildings, no support, too many hours, no respect, no praise, consistent change, No decent raises always 2%, it's a burn out job! You have to keep residents no matter what even if they do not belong anymore due to illness. It's all about occupancy and cold calling. Management requires the sales staff to make up numbers and tours and they spend more time on conference calls than getting the job done. Community managers are pressured consistently. Nothing is ever good enough. Just emotionally exhausting.

It does not matter they do not listen and all have huge egos. What they should do is get new upper management and empower the community management. Let them run the business and stop with every little thing needs approval. It's not working. Manage through motivation not threats!!! You have lost some really quality people due to your ignorance.

Just check the turnover rate...enough said...

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Seniors are great..some great staff

Cons

too many to list..its all about the bottom line...MONEY...cuts to shave budget..staff overworked...upper management reaping the benefits..food budget for residents is a joke.

Share the wealth...

New to the Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The orientation training was well thought out.
    Leadership staff has been responsive to my questions. Most of the leaders are strong. People are being recognized for bringing up new ideas.
    The company has been adding new programs that are designed to support employees.

Cons

There is a lot of positive change so you will be happier if you are a person that can handle change.

Would not recommend working for Holiday

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Community residents are great. Travel perk is good if you get the time off to get out of town.

Cons

Many community management teams don't get along. Difficult work environment.

Corporate and district management doesn't know what is going on at the regional level. Need to visit dysfunctional regional teams more.

Micromanaged on Steroids

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The food, facilities and activity programming were significantly above norm for the area. This helped to generate leads and made the sales process easier.

Cons

Constant conference calls with regional staff to verbally report what was already logged into the sales software. Sales strategy of immediate and constant contact with leads helped to close some sales but created much ill will with potential residents who weren't looking for an immediate need to relocate.

The company has gotten away from the mission and forgotten what business they are in.

Holiday Retirement Photos