Holiday Retirement

Updated 20 November 2014
1.8

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

The 40 year old "model" no longer works - it is 2014

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There really aren't any... The cons negate any pros that you might think there are.

Cons

You are managing to a 40 year old budget/financial model that is far beyond it's time. To think for one minute that in todays economy people will arrive for 2 hour shifts and be paid $18.00 prior to taxes in incomprehensible. The model no longer works - Kai - utilize some of the talent that you have out there in your management teams move forward to 2014. Get rid of the RSL's - they are glorified admin assistants absorbing dollars that could be used on-site. If your leads are going to be managed by AMD's then have them direct report to them - the RD's basically have no contact with the leads... 18 minutes over 8 weeks is pathetic-money is being wasted...Managers and comanagers have no life - co managers apt off the main dining room? Managers have a bedroom wall that is shared with the office? Let's get with the tmes...

Overhaul the entire model - eliminate RSLs - have leads report to AMD's - could probably get rid of RDs as they basically serve no purpose...

Making a Difference in Seniors Lives

Current Employee - Community Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping seniors feel safe in their home

Cons

Telemarketing and dividing couples one sales one operations

Listen to community managers

Unreasonable Expectations

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement (more than an year)

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this company unless you think being over worked and under paid is a good thing.

Cons

Lazy district manager. Ditrict Sales manager was a crook. Company would adjust policies if you were doing to good and making a bonus. They forgot to pay me for all of my hours more than once.

All the positive reviews are from damage control in Salem..., thewir Head Office.

Current Employee - PM Chef in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - PM Chef in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There really isnt any, cause tha cons are so overwhellming you cant notice the positives.

Cons

I have noticed after working there for 7 years, seeing change of ownership 2 times, the company is on a down hill spiral, flaming out of control. Carlson sold the company and since then its been all about money and move ins.
    They collect 1000s of dollars a year from the seniors on a fixed income, they dont even send condolences to the family when the client passes. No compasion. No heart. No feelings. Typical Corporate America.

take the soother out of your mouths and put on your big boy pants and and be responsable to the client, not the bank. And who ever this CITY is, please, really. Thats messed , lol

I got to work with Some very Interesting Residents well I grow fund of. I learn A Lot.

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

well it was very Refreshing for me and the staff they all were Team players. I learn and apply myself with active Listening Techniques applying confidentiality. also applying counseling Techniques. I didn't get to Exercise the time-off policies but I was up for A promotion.

Cons

well very hard work but I like hard work. It gave Me A chance to grow To Expand My Techniques. I learn A Lot when I was Trained. and Also Bought A Lot To The Table.

my advice is keep eyes and ears open. listen Pay Attention keep your Nose Clean. if you have A problem with Management Talk to Management yourself. might get Better Results.

Holiday retirement

Current Employee - Community Manager in Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the senoirs and staff.

Cons

Long hours. Little time off. Pressure.

Praise employees

Serving residents is wonderful

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training, residents, Events, service, versatility

Cons

pressure, life work balance, hours, personal growth

more accomitating

Run..the job is all about money and not the people as they say it is!

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with Seniors and developing life long relationships

Cons

Upper management screaming at you. They have no clue!

Look at all of the good people you have lost..hmm..it cannot possibly all of us with the problem

Upper Management Cold As Ice

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Residents are WONDERFUL!! :). I enjoy making an impact with residents. THe concept; housekeeping, meals and transportation is excellent concept; Building relationship with the residents is the best!

Cons

Upper management is carsy sales people, fake, phoney and immature. Upper Management is micromanagement; rather then guide and believe in who they hire, they constant be-little the managers, staff and residents. They beef up and wow a tourist, though when they get the sale and bring the resident in, they could care less for them. As community Manger, I try to do best for residents, but constant pestering about calls, conferences and emails it can be difficult; Upper management and ALL training is based on 95% Sales and 5 % Operations. Way backwards of a professional company. They got it all backwards--if no change soon-the company will fail.

There is potential if you start to care about who you hire. Focus more time on operations-believe, encourage the people you hire. Staff is number one key to successful business; focus on quality of operations; QUALITY of FOOD-Beef it up, and sales will follow. Talk to CEO to get carsy salesy people out and bring in kind, mature compassionate managers and you'll see a positive turnaround. There are good healthy people out there they'd love a management position.

Worst Sweat Shop in the industry

Former Employee - Community Manager in Riverside, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Riverside, CA (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful residents. Concept is great just not the companies true goal.

Cons

Long hours. Expected to call Seniors on every holiday to talk them into leaving there homes for the "holiday touch" what a joke

Look at your 98% quit rate, how blind can you be,