Hollywood Video

Updated 16 November 2014
3.8

Hollywood Video CEO Mark Wattles
Mark Wattles

Pros
  • fun, free movie rentals, great staff, over time, great customers, could play kids movie sometimes at work, free move rentals (in 31 reviews)

• Free movie rentals and discounts, fun place to work (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay with lack of pay raises and lots of demand to push promotions (in 11 reviews)

• No real benefits for people over 20, cruel and anal upper management, low LOW pay (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Reason they are gone

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Communication, fun place to work, good team with great people. The leaders tried hard to make it a good place to work and enjoy the team.

Cons

The leaders tried to keep every store open and not save the half of the company that could have been saved. There were a lot of stores that were extremly profitable. The problem was they had the same approach with the stores that lost money as the one that were making tons of it.....backwards thinking.

The Underdog Company That Satisfied the Employees and Customers

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Queens Village, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Queens Village, NY (US)

I have been working at Hollywood Video full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, Customers Loved Our Store and therefore were Easy to work with, Free Rentals (DVD and Video Game), Flexible schedule

Cons

Personal Growth, Fully Staffed yet often overworked to save money

Continue to respect your employees as you do, but remember to give them a chance to breathe. We were always overworked despite being full staffed because due to foot traffic, they felt only 1-2 people needed to run a store at a time when there was always difficulty closing the store when it did get busy and it did now and then.

It was ok

I worked at Hollywood Video

Pros

Provides an excellent opportunity to work around media that you are passionate about and to find others with shared interests and ideas. Worked with a great team. Get to talk about movies, video games

Cons

sales goals were difficult to make and there was a lot of pressure to meet those goals. The managers seemed out of touch especially the District managers.

Not recommended for anyone.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC (US)

I worked at Hollywood Video part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free company rentals for movies. That's literally all I can think of. Other than that the benefits are the exact same as any other entry level, part time job in a retail position. No benefits, no vacation time, minimum wage.

Cons

Virtually no opportunity for promotion outside of your immediate superior quitting. Not enough labor at any given time creates too much of a work load for all employees. The company was losing business very quickly to services like Netflix, and eventually filed for bankruptcy. Because of that (before the bankruptcy) they continually placed MASSIVE sales demands on all their bottom level employees in an effort to stop themselves from going bankrupt.

Don't try to make your bottom level employees attempt to sustain the sinking ship of your business by compounding ever increasing sales demands on them.

Good Job. Fun

I have been working at Hollywood Video

Pros

Great experience, Great people, fun times

Cons

Long hours, low pay, Dealing with customers

Good Starter Job, Poor High Level Management

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun environment with a great client base. Provides an excellent opportunity to work around media that you are passionate about and to find others with shared interests and ideas.

Cons

Poor compensation and a management structure that focuses too heavily on sales quotas as opposed to client service. Quota structure incentivizes sale of product with lower profit margins defeating purpose of holding sales force accountable for increasing company's bottom line.

Focus on Client Service not Salesmanship and Qoutas

Wasn't bad while it lasted

Former Employee - Store Director in Shoreline, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Director in Shoreline, WA (US)

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Moved up quickly within the company. From entry level to Store Manager in about 2 years. Flexible schedule, free movie rentals and the ability to watch movies before they come out to the general public. Decent benefits and even offered them to Part-Time employees.

Cons

High pressure sales, tyrannical leadership. Business model that was not successful for apparent reasons (because the company is not Out Of Business). Never put any serious effort or money into advertising, instead had their Salaried Store Managers out spamming parking lots with flyers.

Less corporate spending next time. Keep current with technology.

Decent Retail Job

I worked at Hollywood Video

Pros

It was very easy. Spent a lot of time reading since we were near a Blockbuster. Got free movies and games each week.

Cons

The pay was not very good, and the management was mediocre at best. We were expected to sell promotions with little to no incentive.

Best job I ever had...I miss it every day.

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people and the flexibility.

Cons

Late hours and the company closed.

Customer Service Representative interview

Former Employee - Customer Service in Westwood, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Westwood, CA (US)

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I began my first job here during college and I learned a lot in regards to how to treat customers and what daily tasks to be responsible for. I also began to take on extra duties not originally assigned to me and began to work my way upward using them as leverage for raises.

Cons

I was in college at the time, and although I loved working at Hollywood Video I felt that at times since the schedule was a bit on the late side for me, as well as not having a car, I would be getting home at a very late hour and would go to sleep immediately and wake up a bit tired the next day.

I feel that there could have been many more opportunities for growth and training sessions that could have propelled me faster toward management.

Hollywood Video Photos