Home Instead Senior Care

Updated 21 October 2014
Updated 21 October 2014
3.3

Roger Baumgart

Pros
  • Great group of people who want to make a difference and help seniors (in 9 reviews)

• Flexible hours that work around your schedule (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours can flucuate and there are no benefits due to ACA FTE requirements (in 15 reviews)

• Management makes snap decisions, low pay, no benefits (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

High value, low pay

Former Employee - Caregiver
    Former Employee - Caregiver

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can get enormous joy from feeling useful.
    You know you are providing needed service to a generally unserved portion of the population.
    Most of the people you care for are delightful, and listening to them gives you a clear window to the past. They are "Living History"!
    You can, often, get more latitude, concerning hours/days worked, than many other types of work. Training is provided, free of charge.
    You will learn patience, and a sense of humour, along with your other lessons.

Cons

You must expect to "lose" clients, frequently, due to age/health issues.
    Sadly, you are not allowed to "follow" clients that you no longer care for. You may not visit them, or have contact with their family. In many cases, I was not even informed of their death until weeks, or months, after their funeral. Then, it was because I inquired after them.
    Pay is low, expectations are high. You are often informed that you will be needed with little notice, and little respect as to your current plans.
    It is difficult to keep from becoming fond of your clients, and this can be a source of stress.

Pay more attention to your caregivers, they may see day to day problems that you miss.
    Pay your caregivers what they are worth. We understand about your "bottom line", but we need to address ours, too. We are doing a physically, and emotionally, demanding job. We deserve more than a "babysitter's" compensation.
    Hire "floaters". Caregivers who can come in, on short notice, on any shift, as needed. This will eliminate having to call caregivers in, at the last minute, or on their day off, when they have plans.
    You should give floaters slightly more, per hour, as they are constantly "on call".
    When considering rewards; cups and plaques are nice; but shirts, gift cards, and checks, are much more useful. There should be more rewards for "good work", (in addition to, not instead of) as most now, are for length of service.

I have gain great experience working for homes instead as a Nurse assistant.

Former Employee - Nurse Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Nurse Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You meet new and interesting people.

Cons

Contracts are always short, never long term.

Great to be able to help care for different people and help them be more independent.

Current Employee - CNA in Cartersville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - CNA in Cartersville, GA (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is interesting getting to meet new people and learning their needs. I am also independent and need to make decisions for their needed care and things to keep them active and involved. I was able to get a pay increase after trial period and training is provided by the company. Nurse is available for questions and to check on client if needed. Schedule is sometimes regular but often changes as different clients have different needs and family to help.

Cons

Trying to find new places, sometimes directions aren't specific or GPS doesn't lead to correct area. Driving between assignments and not knowing time needed to travel to new areas. No compensation for driving long distances and between assignments and sometimes long time period between assignments but too far to go home so hard to use time well.

Great First Experience in Social Services!

Current Employee - Staff Coordinator in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Coordinator in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The wealth of knowledge in the elder care field you obtain if you're interested in social work or any field related to bettering the lives of seniors
    - The experience you gain in relationship building
    - The fast acting problem solving skills you acquire

Cons

- Salary job plus commission based off monthly or yearly sales, you may be working the most overtime when your check is the lowest.
    - Small, but continuous lack of respect from clients and CAREGivers due to issues outside of your control (you become the trusted point of contact while client's caseworkers and other who assist at client's homes do not follow through on their obligations).
    - Time off is hard to come by if you're in a smaller office and business is doing well. Life/Work Balance = Not Good At All.

Support your franchise owners more than offering them a leadership contact after initial setup. While I have to say anyone from the corporate office that I've met has been extremely professional and knowledgeable, there should be more grassroots support than there is. Personally hearing advice from Omaha beyond our internal franchise site would be extremely encouraging sometimes, even as a Staff Coordinator.

Management difficulties

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time

Pros

Treated caregivers better than many other employers in the industry, wonderful training and fantastic clients

Cons

Management makes snap decisions, low pay, no benefits. Office staff notbtreated with respect by management

Think thingsvthrough more before staff changes. Make expectations clear and consistent. Offer coaching to employees instead of only discipline.

They are a nationwide company and are a Leader in Senior Care.

Former Employee - Caregiver in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can make your own schedule, working with elderly is very rewarding. There is training and now you are required by law to be a CNA.

Cons

Poor pay, raises barely any,no medical benefits and you use your own car and get paid mileage when doing errands for clients. There is vacation pay after your first year, no Holiday pay unless you work and no sick pay. Not a dependable paycheck.

They hear what they want to hear and use their employees for there benefit. the office reaps the benefits and they need to give a little more to there Caregivers who are the beef of there business.

Worked as a GM, planning and preparing a new office. Worked for an amazing company with amazing people.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company with an impeccable reputation. Management is fair and friendly. Good family atmosphere. Very ethical and compassionate people all the way around. Loved my experience here.

Cons

Biggest challenges are keeping standards high and meeting expectations. Nothing negative to report!

Plenty of opportunities to assist clients

Current Employee - Caregiver in Bethel Park, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Bethel Park, PA (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can work around your personal schedule and pick up extra assignments

Cons

Sometimes the scheduling team can be overwhelmed with finding replacement caregivers if employees call off

A decent place to work

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

This office has a lot of autonomy and wants to provide the best service possible

Cons

No further advancement inside of the local franchises.

Focus on the employees more than the bottom line.

Wonderful opportunity for a long term career with a stable organization.

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time

Pros

Wonderful, warm friendly atmosphere. Staff is passionate about what they do.

Cons

Tons of competition providing the same or similar services.

Increase salary for caregivers.