Honda of America Mfg.

www.ohio.honda.com

Honda of America Mfg. Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Tomomi Kosaka

Pros
  • Overall the pay and benefits are good for the area that they employ from(in 8 reviews)

• Honda is a great company to work for they have great benefits and retirement also you make good pay with this company(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Even some of the other comments here seem to confirm that the Work-Life balance is pretty bad(in 3 reviews)

• Hard workers are scorned by management because they may never have worked the floor(in 4 reviews)

I really loved my job at Honda till I left in 09 when I took the buy out

Production Associate (Current Employee) Anna, OH (US)

ProsHonda is a great company to work for they have great benefits and retirement also you make good pay with this company.

Consthe cons of working at Honda is it wears down your body the 15 years I worked there I had 4 surgerys and my body is breaking down now that im older

Advice to Senior Managementtake better care of your associates they are the reason Honda is so successful

Good pay, decent treatment, great benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Marysville, OH (US)

ProsFor the area, you won't find any better compensation. It is a farming area and if anyone works for another factory, it is likely a Honda supplier. Great parking, olympic pool/fitness center with trainers and massage therapists. Very laid back and low expectations. You get a bonus once a month just for showing up to work everyday. Also profit sharing and stock options. No business attire needed for working ANYWHERE at Honda. The CEO wears the same shirt and pants as the man who puts the floor mats in. There is a plethora of inhouse training, from MS Office, to accounting classes and many thing that will heighten your business acumen. However, trying to get into an off-site training that will look good on your resume is difficult.

ConsMost of the facility is run by "good ole boys". The best education you can have is from the local high school. If you have a bachelors or a masters, your opinion will hardly matter and you will be there for the paycheck. Your manager will likely have a high school diploma, have no idea what a pivot table is, and be divorced because they will do anything management says. They stress family values, but that doesn't amount to quality time with family. Just means they will pay you. Most of the japanese who are there left their families in Tokyo and send their paychecks home. Also, you are stuck wherever you are. It is very hard to move to a different position and IMPOSSIBLE to move to another division.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow cross training to improve schedule flexibility and associate freedom. Reward employees with options for vacation or compensation.

Good company, strong Japanese culture in U.S.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRole longevity if you want it

ConsLow compensation, not a great career path

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Production Associate

ProsGood pay, hard work led to promotion at the time that I went in.

ConsNot everyone in management on the same page about philosophy/production management

Advice to Senior ManagementJust stop and remember why this company has gotten to where it is, and how you got to where you are.

Honda East Liberty

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) East Liberty, OH (US)

ProsGreat pay
    Keeps you busy
    Once you are in its hard to get lose your job
    Very stable company with no layoffs

ConsDo not trust some of the management
    Weekend work
    Hard to move up and get promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not use people....

Excellent but strict company to work for.

Payroll (Current Employee) Timmonsville, SC (US)

ProsExcellent health insurance with low premiums.

ConsManufacturing environment with strict adherance to policy or perfect attendance bonus is lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Honda of America Mfg., Inc. Assembly Equipment Engineer

Engineering Staff (Current Employee) East Liberty, OH (US)

ProsThe best part about working for Honda are the health benefits. Also, it is a good place to work if you are a hands on type of person. The associates are not unionized so there are very little restrictions as far as what you can and cannot do.

ConsSome of the challenges of working in the manufacturing plants at Honda is that production associates are promoted to engineering positions. This is difficult for degreed engineers because these associates are not held to the same standards, but yet they are given the same title and compensation. Also, engineers are treated the same or worse than the production associates. They are required to keep the sleeves of their uniforms rolled down at all times, keep breaks to 10 minutes and lunches to 30, cannot wear coats/jackets inside the facility even if they are company issued, there is little opportunity for advancement, wages are low, engineers are required to work the line when man power is low, vehicle purchase program is a joke (about 10% discount), etc... it goes on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementSEE ABOVE

My experience with HAM in the NAT department has been fast paced, rewarding, and exhilarating!

Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) Marysville, OH (US)

ProsHonda actually cares about each one of their workers, the leadership I had in my department was providing me with knowledge outside of just doing my current job but assisting me in acquiring my dreams and goals. Honda employees are very enjoyable and easy to talk to about ideas despite some of them being difficult to implement

ConsA lot of upper management have become accustom to the way things are, instead of fighting against the norm to implement changes that could drastically improve systems! I feel Honda has gotten a bit dull in the design of their cars and are afraid to step outside the box and offer exciting models! Loosing their way in what made Honda Great!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose sight of the core values of Honda! A lot of major issues between Honda's corporations goes unseen, hurting the growth between networks!

Honda Manufacturing - Internship

Intern (Former Employee) Marysville, OH (US)

ProsInterns/Co-ops get to work on many different projects related to the assembly line. You get a lot of exposure to Honda's manufacturing methods. Coworkers were great.

ConsThey had some bad past experiences with co-ops and didn't have very high expectations. You have to prove that you really want to learn something from working there.

Worked there 27 years, career advancement is good if you get along with the boss.

Honda Associate (Former Employee) Marysville, OH (US)

ProsGood people, decent pay, good hours

ConsVery redundant type atmosphere. Check Check double check! Honda is cost cutting big time. They are taking away benefits and not giving raises like they use too.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around more, dont select peoplae based on how well you get along with them.

Worked for Honda of America Mfg.? Contribute to the Community!