Honeywell

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.2 1,625 reviews

Honeywell Chairman and CEO David M. Cote

David M. Cote

Pros
  • Good Work-Life Balance most of the time (sometimes it can get extremely hectic though) (in 125 reviews)

• Work environment is not very stressful and mostly you can choose your own projects (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits, perks and work life balance have been slipping last few years (in 44 reviews)

• upper management doesn't involve itself in employee betterment (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights
1,625 Employee Reviews

Slow pace, high standard

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood work-life balance,
    Salary is over market rate

ConsBureaucracy,the development process is not every agile

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Totally demoralising workplace

ProsThe misplaced reputation the business has makes time here look good on your resume.

ConsWaaaaay to many managers who know nothing about the products. Metrics that are driven by satisfying the management systems rather than satisfying the customers. Period purges of people, like the current one where they axed 1/3 of their Customer Support people

Advice to Senior ManagementAxe 1/3 (or more) of the management people and get back to looking after the businesses that pay your bills.

Diversified experience and

ProsProcess oriented and good working culture
    you can explore what ever you required

ConsMultiple direction to the job and daily work
    Not much of sufficient information

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lacking talent

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsWork is not very difficult and you are given plenty of time to complete it. Even if you fail to meet milestones, the feature will be descoped or postponed anyway. So it is very easy to achieve work/life balance. Hours are flexible and it is possible to work from home.

Work is not checked over by managers so you can exaggerate your accomplishments during meetings and take credit for the work of others to build a reputation. Even an individual contributor can average 8 hours of meetings a week, so there are plenty of excuses for falling behind.

You don't necessarily need to understand how the product works in order to be a manager, you can just deflect questions to someone else. Managers don't need to be involved in development if there are lack of resources, their only responsibility is to give opinions at meetings. Talented people leave the company, so there is plenty of space to move up.

Job is quite secure.

ConsPeople who have worked there 10+ years don't necessarily understand the product much more than a new employee. There seems to be a lack of good problem solvers, so those who are competent are burdened with all the debugging and bug fixing.

Excessive processes and micromanaging. No autonomy, no ownership of work. Pace of development is quite slow.

Code base is outdated and built on deprecated technologies, very difficult to innovate.

Lots of restrictions on what software you can install, excessive blocking of internet access.

Technical excellence doesn't seem to be valued much.

I have been looking forward to going to work every day!

Service Administrator (Former Employee) Brisbane

ProsHoneywell has found a way to incorporate the best values at work and in life, to join great personalities with great skills in an awesome multicultural environment! The best workplace I have ever had, both in Brisbane, Australia and Budapest, Hungary.

ConsNope...can't come up with anything!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease open an office in Nyköping, Sweden. :-)

Honeywell Australia, North Ryde

Project Manager (Current Employee) North Ryde

ProsGood people and happy environment

Consoffice furniture is old, open plan

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better furniture and change office layout.

Terrible Culture

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsOpportunities to work in process control projects with interesting industrial clients

ConsRotten politics, it's all about perception and not the work completed. You need to make sure you complain first and fast as all scientific evidence will be ignored by management. Basically you spend more time thinking about how to CYA than doing your job.

Strip clubs were considered normal entertainment for staff and clients, even new grads thought this was an acceptable night out.

Training is a joke, they offer many courses but when you are back in your team you are unable to use your new skills as you aren't working on projects that used them. Worse senior engineers will not let you apply the new skills to improve a project e.g. to make it run faster, because they've always done it this way. Which was the way it was taught five years ago.

If someone it mates with the boss they cannot do anything wrong and the boss will happily let them scapegoat someone else who had little involvement with the project.

Lying to clients was common, there were cases where external parties had been paid kickbacks to approve designs

It's the only company I know that doesn't have integrity as part of there core values and it shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell I would have told them to fire my boss but they already forced him to resign. They should have fired a few more people. The bad culture is so pervasive that you would need and huge turnover to break it.

Comfortable place to work, appeals to some and not others.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsTraining and employee development is promoted quite heavily as our particular office. 40 hours is set a side each year for training. The work environment not as stressful as some industries (finance and game development). The pay rate is roughly at market rate. Additional benefits include API lifestyle membership and online libraries.

ConsThe stock plan has been toned down from previous years, to promote long-term holding of the stock. The change has resulted in the benefits being diminished. The bonus has beens scrapped and changed to a fixed pay which is actually less than the bonus itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want employees to promote and work harder in Honeywell, the benefits from the bonus and share plan need to be improved. You'll find that some companies that have a better scheme have a higher retention rate and innovate a lot more.

Honeywell International

Process Machine Operations Specialist (Former Employee) Clover, SC (US)

Pros- Excellent pay.
    - Opportunity for advancement.
    - Job(s) worked are relatively easy & stress free.
    - Easy to obtain certifications and training that will useful in the future.

ConsSometimes the hours can be long. Were times I was asked to work 12's five days in a row.

Smart company

Market Research Analyst (Former Employee) Golden Valley, MN (US)

ProsI had a great manager who cared about my professional development and measured my success based on clear goals. I was able to learn a lot about the company and interact with many different functions.

ConsA lot of employees are chronically unhappy and crabby! If you don't have a good manager it could be unbearable. It can be hard to find the right people to work with in such a large, matrixed organization.

Worked for Honeywell? Contribute to the Community!