Hot Topic

Updated 24 February 2015
3.3

Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper
Lisa Harper

Pros
  • Almost no rules for dress code, you can be as different as you want to be (in 52 reviews)

• Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times) (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store (in 24 reviews)

• Lack of hours for sales associates (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work-Life Balance
    Culture
    Everyone is awesome
    You feel valued in the job you are doing
    The food in the cafeteria is a good and we have food trucks come
    Pet friendly Fridays
    Everyone loves what they do here

Cons

Office politics
    Never have time to utilize the gym
    Amount of pay
    Location of HQ
    I never thought I'd say this, but there is too much chocolate and sweets everywhere

Best job yet.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time

Pros

- Really great atmosphere
    - Dress code (getting to wear whatever you like, having tattoos, colored hair, etc.)
    - Flexible scheduling
    - Awesome coworkers
    - Employee discount
    - Concert ticket compensation

Working at Hot Topic has been the greatest. I love my job here.

Cons

- Hours aren't very reliable, but that's true with most retail jobs
    - Moving up can be very difficult
    - Closing the store can take a very long time, but it's nothing too major.
    - Shipment can get a little bit crazy at times.

Good employer, great atmosphere

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people, customers are fun, job duties are well-defined, management keeps employees informed of their status & performance, always something new and exciting.

Cons

Corporate sometimes does things that make no sense, occasional redundant and/or pointless rearrangement of floor displays, despite systems in place to reduce labor/increase efficiency corporate insists upon staff double/triple contacting customers.

Listen to your people.

I love this company

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic

Pros

This company is great and is easy to move up in. As long as you are a hard worker, they have a lot of opportunity for their employees. You are allowed to be yourself 100%.

Cons

Competitive hours for sales associates.

The younger you are, the greater it is

I have been working at Hot Topic

Pros

Discount, cool coworkers, nice listening to music every day.

Cons

The higher ups understand selling by numbers and money but don't really understand it in a practical store sense. Not all stores are the same and the areas they are in. You can't just keep changing things and expect every store to be able to meet that standard. With minimum wage and awful hours there are some ways to majorly improve.

Rocking out

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can really be yourself there and you can make friends with your customers.

Cons

Black out periods can really effect your life in a negative aspect. Its a high priority job so good luck doing anything with your personal life. District Manager cares nothing other than sales.

Okay job

I worked at Hot Topic

Pros

discounts on clothing, listening to great music

Cons

standing on your feet, a bunch of creeps hitting on you

Hot Topic is a stressful work experience.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get a 40% discount at Hot Topic and the sister store and a 20% discount at blackheart. You see items as they come in so you can get them before they run out. Shifts are just 3 1/2 hours so you don't get too hungry or tired or anything. My coworkers were all really cool people.

Cons

They only pay minimum wage. When they hired me they said that because the pay was so low they could work around my schedule in case I needed another job or I was in school, but I never saw that to be the case. They continuously scheduled me over every time I asked to not work, and I had to miss church every week I worked there and cancel about half of my drum lessons. Also, since the shifts were only 3 1/2 hours, I had to work most days of the week, because they still expected you to work 17 to 20 hours per week, which became frustrating after a while since the schedules were so unpredictable. Finally, I found the management very frustrating and felt almost hazed. My boss found out I was very uncomfortable working in the front on busy days, as large groups of people make me nervous and the music is really loud, so instead of putting me on cashier, which I loved and no one else liked, or in the back or on stocking, which no one liked either, she stuck me in the front at every opportunity almost as if to prove a point because it was "part of my job" and I needed to "get over it." They also tried to make me put everything up that required the ladder once they found out I'm afraid of heights and ladders. I finally quit after one incident where they made me work in the front on a tax free weekend and I had a panic attack, and another incident where one of my bosses harassed me and embarrassed me while I was working for "talking back" when my other boss moved my zone mid-shift and she told me to go back and I told her I'd been moved. Overall it was a horrible experience and I can't believe I worked there that long. The discount was not even close to worth it. Also don't even try to work here if you have any other obligations such as another job, school, church, lessons, clubs, or anything else because they will schedule you over everything and expect you to work it out or trade shifts with someone every time.

Improve your scheduling skills. Zone people to best suit their skills. If someone is very organized but dislikes large crowds, put them on restocking.

Part time Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great job for first time job seeker
    Dress code wear what you want
    Friendly co workers
    Chill place

Cons

Wage sucks
    Hours suck
    The amount of hours you work is based on how much the store makes that week

Ps. If they see that you make better sales then the full time sales associate they start to not like you and your cut hours

Hot Topic Photos