Hotels.com Reviews

Updated 19 July 2014
3.6

Hotels.com President Johan Svanstrom
Johan Svanstrom

Work with fun, super smart and creative people on new challenges every day

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big open planned office in a central part of London. Big roof terrace which is great during the summer. The benefits package is pretty good and includes a fair few travel perks. Not a pro for everyone but you get to travel quite a bit for work which can be good fun.

Cons

Can push the boundaries even more than we have done and create more of a balance between using data and listening to what our customers are telling us. Though this has been addressed more this year.

Wonderful workplace overall

Current Employee - User Experience  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - User Experience in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great office with large roof terrace, team building events.A top notch benefits package including hotel discounts and excellent family health insurance. Friendly people and a very relaxed, informal culture. A world class brand to be proud of.

Cons

There is no appetite for innovation. There is very little strategy. The company is so big that much knowledge gets lost between teams. A/B testing rules everything even though it sometimes seems flawed.

Pick a strategy and stick to it, use it to justify every decision from VP level down to the lower level workers. Experiment, innovate, play....try new things.

Fun, fast-moving, energetic company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time

Pros

Great benefits (e.g. travel discounts) and fabulous people. The offices are all modern and open plan, which creates collaboration.

Cons

The leadership at times seems a bit random, and their does not seem to be a consistent strategy. This creates a bit of chaos as priorities and focus tends to change moment to moment. Also, the data is a mess.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lacks direction, but the new ads are good!

I worked at Hotels.com

Pros

They are a leader in the business. It's fun to work in travel, generally.

Cons

Lots of favoritism, sucking up to managers, phony enthusiasm. They keep changing direction. Technology is not cutting edge. Also, with direction coming from London, no clear cut goals or priorites.

Watch out for competitors or you will become less and less relevant. Pay your "lower level" employees better. They work hard and produce quality.

Structured but decent job at a good company

Former Employee - Telesales Agent  in  Arlington, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Telesales Agent in Arlington, TX (US)

I worked at Hotels.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a call center sales person I shared in the gross sales I made.

Cons

Very, very structured environment is OK, that's the nature of the telesales environment. Not giving any raise while top management is making millions a year is less so. That's what is wrong with this company and our country. Outsourcing jobs to people in 3rd world countries in order to save a buck is also an issue. Should Hotels.com continue in these practices I'm sure the customers will outsource the company.

Give a little more in annual raises to the sales people in the call centers.

Fun, innovative, fast paced and great offices!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hotels.com in Dallas is a great place to work. It is a fast paced, fun, energetic, collaborative environment. I think the last two reviews written were by a few disgruntled employees on the search team, who were recently (more or less) pushed out of the org. Hotels.com isn't perfect, but I'd say it's a great place to work. Also, there are reviews that seem to be left here from the call center team in Springfield, which is a different organization than the hotels.com team in Dallas, so I'd read those separately. The pros:

- Great new office space; open lay-out, travel themed conference rooms and decor, games such as ping-pong, x-box etc, free drinks...
    - Free perks- not sure why someone wrote these are going away in 2014. I haven't heard anything about that. We have free weekly lunches, in-office happy hours, free fruit, free drinks etc. I guess one con is that sometimes it does feel like people start to take this for granted and will complain if we don't have lunch one week for whatever reason. That can be annoying to be around.
    - It's a laid back environment- you can wear pretty much whatever you want and people keep flexible hours if they need to come in early or leave early, there is no standard work-day.
    - Of course, working in the online travel space is fun. It is fast moving and, if you like travel, the perfect place to combine something you like to do personally, with work.
    - Leadership is open and seeks feedback and input from others. They try hard to build a collaborative environment by planning team events, team building etc.
    - Generally the team is passionate, hard-working and fun. There are a few people who are downers but overall, it's a good team to work with.

Cons

Like I said, Hotels.com is not perfect but having worked at many other places, I think it's not far off. Cons are:

- Much of the overall leadership is out of the London office, which means people in Dallas can sometimes feel cut out of the decision making process or uninformed when decisions are made
    - The area around the office (highways) are always under construction! Makes traffic bad.
    - Not enough technology (such as video conferencing) for an office who has to constantly interact with other global offices

Move more quickly on building a strong team; handful of lazy/negative people hanging around can sometimes bring down the general environment. Continue to be transparent in communications and foster a positive team environment. Help us stay connected to the London office. Make career paths for those in Dallas more clear.

Poor Direction, Leadership and Strategy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Hotels.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are really good people trying to do good work at the staff level

Cons

The leadership in Dallas penalizes people that don't fit into a certain mold and have people operating on pins and needles. Leadership is belittling. They tend to promote and embrace consultants at the expense of talent coming from other disciplines. There are very few internal opportunities to advance without moving to Expedia in Bellevue or Hotels.com HQ in London. Lastly, there is no strategy for addressing the growth of Booking.com, especially in Canada.

Take a genuine interest in the people and get a strategy to address Booking.com.

No Growth + Micromanaging + Clueless Leadership = Failure & Great Employees all Leaving

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some really great perks within the travel industry

Cons

1. There's little to no growth opportunities here, any jobs that open up they will seek a consultant outside the company to hire. All the best talent in the company are leaving due to no growth, micromanaging, and no clear direction.
    2. Leadership being hired is clueless about the industry and job at hand. They are hiring consultants with no experience within the field or industry to lead teams. (Failure!)
    3. Leadership is hiding behind micromanaging to pretend they know what they are doing. (Failure!)
    4. 2014 they started taking away perks like Wednesday lunches in the Dallas office, Friday in office happy hours, monthly pizza gatherings because the Dallas VP/GM says it's not being appreciated and used properly.
    5. If you are able to make great power points, claim others work as your own, and present this work as yours...you will move up quickly.
    6. Unless you are with the "in crowd", wanting to kiss up to management and be fake all the time, you wont do well here. Imagine high school all over again.
    7. Talent isn't appreciated, just what consulting firm you were at before joining the company.

Promote within and stop hiring inexperienced consultants as directors/leadership of areas they have zero knowledge in. At some point, someone is going to have to do the work.
    Stop giving out false promises to employees of career growth.

good experience

Former Employee - Fax Clerk  in  McAllen, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Fax Clerk in McAllen, TX (US)

I worked at Hotels.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedules and overtime allowed. Easy work and some potential for growth into management field.environment was very young but hard working.

Cons

not much negative to say. left because i was looking for advanced career opportunities where i could better apply my skills.

A highly talented environment, yet lacking egos.

I have been working at Hotels.com

Pros

Supportive
    Fun
    Relaxed, yet hard-working
    Great environment (the best I've worked in)
    Talented colleagues.
    Friendly.
    Opportunity to make stuff better.

Cons

Not joining sooner
    Job can be slightly frustrating if you're under a bit of pressure to deliver, as technically, it's not perfect.

Continue listening to your staff. Wipe the slate clean with some of your older tech - be creative when going about how to solve these problems - it will inspire, motivate and enable your tech employees to strengthen the company's competitiveness by delivering even more rapidly those customer experience improvements.

Give tech staff more down-time to innovate, and give them real business challenges to figure out. The support and infrastructure is there, but the time each tech employee is allocated less than 3%. Contrast that with Google's 20%.

You guys have the talent there, and they're waiting to be tapped in to.... and when the lights go on, you'll be amazed.

Worked for Hotels.com? Contribute to the Community!