Hotwire

Hotwire Reviews

Updated Jul 02, 2014

Hotwire President Henrik Kjellberg

Henrik Kjellberg

Pros
  • The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities (in 28 reviews)

• Exciting industry (travel) discounts on travel products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group (in 4 reviews)

• If you're looking for career growth, you need to make sure you are on your manager's radar at all times (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

It is a Dream Job!

Facilities (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe peoples are great to work with! And the events that they have are fun and entertaining! The work environment is great and positive. The location is perfect. Henrik Kjellberg is a great CEO to work for and he has an open door policy! I love that everybody sit in a cube. Even the CEO!

ConsFor me there is no cons!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good Job!

Worse company to work at

Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsBenefits are sub-par. There's really nothing good left to say about this place.

ConsMorale is down due to staff reductions in 2013 & those left all want to leave, moreover no one wants to apply to work here anymore. Salary is low. An positive review written on here are either from HR or management who are trying to entice new candidates to join a sinking ship. Henrik has Napoleon's complex. I'm sure he'll get the boot next. Funny how he came in a laid off half the work force then the remaining half all quit! Because of that, HR has stopped hiring for the SF office and now recruiting for Bellevue where there's less of a turnover. What a shame how fast this company fell.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck trying to re-build.

Trying for a fresh start but keeps revisiting the plan to do so

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSolid set of long-term back-end engineers who are holding down the fort but constrained by limited resources and an aging product on the front-end.

Renewed focus on analytics could bear fruit.

Finally realizing that the "we've always done it this way" approach doesn't work anymore in some areas and starting to try new things like off-loading certain functions to Expedia.

ConsHR seems to think company culture and employee motivation is developed from throwing in a few free lunches and having long company meetings. They keep your bonus and pay limited as an existing employee as it is has dependencies both on overall division (Hotwire) and also company (Expedia) performance so you take a hit if either doesn't meet plan even though though the CEO of Expedia always talks of "throwing off cash". They have an unnecessarily long delay of 4 months in-between the time you complete your yearly review with your manager to when bonus payouts and yearly increases hit. Managers don't even read the reviews anyway and even though they claimed to drop the calibration / sliding scale system it not so secretly still exists, you just aren't told your score.

New president came in and followed his formulaic approach used at another division of lay-offs followed by bringing in his friends from other parts of the company. There was definitely some change needed in the old guard at the Exec level who blindly let the competition eat their lunch but the lay-offs at lower levels were nonstrategic and left certain parts of the org decimated and without needed resources.

So far in 2014 strategies have shifted multiple times and overall they are on the hook for delivering more than the org can reasonably accomplish. Some of the newly established org goals are idealistic though clearly unobtainable - they missed the "R" in SMART goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink more long term and don't make short term decisions that will bite you later. Example: Laying off software engineers (in San Francisco!?!) when you are still very profitable but not meeting the company plan just to find yourself needing more engineers a few months later to sustain the business. Now it's tough to hire them as everyone knows you lay-off people, hmmm.

Set a few realistic goals and priorities that everyone can get behind and stick with them.

Simplify your strategy to a few succinct goals that people can remember and start executing and deliver it before changing it again before it even gets out of the gate.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic company & extraordinary workforce

Risk Management (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThis is hands down the best job I have ever had and the best company I have ever worked for in my career! Some of the perks may be typical for San Francisco but Hotwire has a unique advantage since it is a fairly small company with a big corporate backing (Expedia Inc). This provides a more intimate working environment where you are able to wear many different hats and get to know most of your coworkers while maintaining job security. The added bonus is that you receive excellent benefits, especially if you love to travel!

There is always something fun happening in the office, whether it's a group gathering to watch the Word Cup, a serious game of ping pong or a full blown Cinco de Mayo party. There are also several annual events such as the bowling tournament and summer picnic. These are all great opportunities to get to know your coworkers on a more personal level while having a blast!

The best part of Hotwire is the individuals that make up each of the teams. It's a very inviting atmosphere which fosters creativity and is not overly competitive. There is a willingness to share knowledge for the common good of the company and senior management is very approachable. The workforce is also very diverse with employees and executives from all over the world with a great deal of longevity which offers various perspectives.

ConsTravel is a very competitive industry and you must be willing to work hard as well as be open to an ever changing environment. Hotwire is currently making significant investments in its infrastructure, which can be challenging at times to different teams. Overall the pros outweigh the cons!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be clear about the company's direction and our plan to stay competitive.

Marketing Manager

ProsAmazing work/life balance, great benefits and travel perks, on-site gym, smart and nice people, great office/location...the new president is extremely insightful/smart and has a clear vision on the direction he wants to take the company.

ConsOften too conservative and not willing to take risks (this is changing), growth opportunities are limited, compensation is lower than competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the clear vision and transparency. However, need to boost moral and inject more fun into the culture in order to get the company back to its roots. Employees/talent afraid to join the company or stay due to negative opinions circulating, this is changing, but really need to highlight the benefits of the company and it's strong brand.

This place is going down

ProsIf you want a job with great work/life balance, look no further. It is also situated in a great location with plenty of lunch options.

ConsBelow average compensation; Lost office culture; Too much turnover and too many unhappy employees. It has been one full year since the new CEO/President joined and we are still seeing reorg happening every now and then. It is obvious that management doesn't know what to do and which direction to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo little too late. Culture has been lost despite management's effort to bring it back.

I loved the company especially the training.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsThe call center environment was what I enjoyed

ConsI worked very hard to complete tasks

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to add for mgmt.

Great change takes time

ProsWork/wellness balance. People want you to take care of yourself here.
    Coworkers and great humor in the office.
    Redeveloping company culture with great results.
    Lots of new hires have come in with a smile on their face, freshening up the place.

ConsChange is slow, and rebuilding the company takes a significant amount of effort.
    If you're looking for career growth, you need to make sure you are on your manager's radar at all times.

Terribly managed

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Tigard, OR (US)

ProsWhile the turn over rate for this place was insane, the few employees that stuck it out were generally good people. Connecting on a level of "I-hate-this-place" was our common ground. Some of the management team was tolerable.

ConsNo incentive or perks, minimum wage with no shift differential or opportunity for raises, ever-changing expectations and training, jumbled management and policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no help for this place

Great company

User Experience Design Lead (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat culture, excellent benefits, great work life balance. The people and teams are great. Awesome location.

ConsLack of direction, dying brand. There was recently a change in all of the executive team. Not sure yet how they're going to perform.

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!