Human Rights Campaign

4.1

CEO

Valuable intern experience

I worked at Human Rights Campaign

Pros

HRC U, the internship program, created community between the interns and HRC staff. I had real responsibility and felt valued while also contributing and learning LOTS.

Cons

It was an unpaid internship (this has since changed), which was difficult financially.

Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very cool, laid back, progressive organization to work at and much of the staff is very friendly and helpful in mentoring. The events are absolutely amazing to be apart of.

Cons

Communication between divisions is quite poor, in that sometimes people do not realize that someone is out of the office or when their interns work. There is also a lack of substantial work at times, which ends up in having to go to other departments to find something to work on.

Poorly run

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked my way up from an intern to full-time employment while I was still a undergrad in DC. I met some great people who I still keep in touch with today.

Cons

Not a great place to grow and they pay very low. Finance Department is all over the place and the people who are running the department obviously do not know what they're doing. If you know someone in the company, you'll definitely get in even if you're not qualified. For a company that is supposed to support equality, many employees are not treated that way.

Hire on managers and employees that are actually qualified for the job. Also, use the money that is donated to this non-profit towards its mission, not parties.

My experience at the Human Rights Campaign can overall be described as phenomenal.

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people are intelligent, personable and passionate about the issues. Interns are made to feel like they're really important to the work that gets done in the organization from the onset. Even while it is unpaid, there are so many opportunities and doors that are opened to you that it really makes up for it in some ways!

Cons

Unpaid internship, which made finding cost-effective living arrangements difficult, and led other interns to pursue jobs after the internship was over for the day in order to fund their summer expenses.
    Some interns were set to one singular task over the course of the entire internship, while others were given a wide breadth of work--sometimes interns would be without work to do, while another intern would have an intensive project they'd be tasked with.

Pay your interns! There are so many worthwhile progressive organizations in D.C. that to remain competitive in getting the best interns, there needs to be compensation for them all.

Great Internship Experience

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great passion behind the cause

Cons

It's very fast paced and everyone needs to pull their weight. If they don't, then it gets tricky.

HRC is a great place to work and grow professionally

Former Intern - Foundation Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Intern - Foundation Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Working at HRC as an intern, I was able to build an incredible community of mentors, fellow activists, and friends. I would highly recommend the internship program. It includes robust programming, valuable mentorship, and fabulous professional connections that I don't know if I could've gotten anywhere else.

Cons

Perhaps the only draw-back to the internship program is that some internships can be very silo-ed. Some of my fellow interns were assigned to only one project and had to fight pretty hard to get flexibility to work on other things. That was not my experience, but I think it's something to watch out for.

I think that management is overall doing a great job! The environment there is friendly, considerate, warm, collegial, and fabulous. I just think that they need to ensure that all interns are PAID in the future. Currently, only a small portion of interns receive stipends.

Fantastic summer internship program.

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, phenomenal educational opportunities, generally has an open-door culture. The program focuses on professional development in a way that few other internships do. Enjoyed the mentoring aspect.

Cons

Like any other internship, it is what you make it. No stipend, so not a place to work unless you're actually passionate about the issues.

Keep doing what you're doing! Consider adding a stipend to make the program more competitive with other internships in the progressive D.C. circle.

loved most of it; hated some experiences

I worked at Human Rights Campaign

Pros

met some of my best friends working there

Cons

slim opportunities for advancement. Abysmal handling, regardless of circumstances, of staff who are parting with the organization. Do better at pursuing justice justly.

GOOD WORK, GREAT ENVIRONMENT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Laid-back environment with a high energy staff. Very bright and open setting. HRC is highly strategic in the work that it does and plans out strategies excellently.

Cons

Sometimes Senior Management can treat other staff like they are below them. Sometimes "favorites" get away with doing very little while other staff is loaded down with work. Compensation could be higher for entry level staff

Human Rights Campaign Photos

Human Right Campaign headquarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user NCinDC, available under by-nd v2.0)
Human Rights Campaign (Photo thanks to Flickr user bankbryan, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
Green Roof at Human Rights Campaign (Photo thanks to Flickr user whiteknuckled, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo