Huntington National Bank

Be The First To
Add Photos

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour

Steve Steinour

Pros
  • great work/life balance for my family (in 6 reviews)

• Management was very personable, everyone was a team player, good benefits and perks (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work long hours sometimes 6-10 days in a row (in 16 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is a huge issue at HNB - IT employees normally work 60 (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great bank for the customers, not too great for employees

ProsAlthough this largely depends on the management, the schedule is flexible within reason and there are genuine efforts being made to promote nice work/life balance.
    Huntington's products are great and there is a genuine feel that the company truly believes in looking out for their customers. Same can not be said for most of the other larger banks.

ConsTurnover on the retail side is pretty bad and it isn't hard to see why. Huntington does not seem to be concerned with retaining talent. Rather then putting resources into retaining top talent, Huntington makes great efforts to increase their market share, regardless of the cost. Merit increases in retail are scarce, while the management's stance is that employees should focus on selling more and relying on incentive payouts. The biggest problem with this is that incentive payout opportunities decrease on the bi-yearly basis, while goals and expectations keep going up. Additionally, there is a lack of focus on professional development of employees and a huge lack of promotional opportunities. Huntington tends to give preference to hiring candidates from outside, rather than promoting from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on driving down the retention and development of colleagues. Happy and motivated employees will surely sell much better than disgruntled ones. Focus more on celebrating successes rather just pushing for more $$$s

Room to Move up, Small Business Feel

Store Banking Specialist (Former Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsI had a great experience working for Huntington, although I was only there a short while. The training offered was helpful and extensive. I felt as though my manager truly cared about my progress and future with the business. Benefits were great and I felt valued as an individual.

ConsI cannot speak to working as a banker in a stand-alone store, because my experience was at an in-store branch at Giant Eagle. The most unfavorable component of this position is 'aisle time.' The company wants employees to spend time pushing checking accounts and other banking services / products while customers are doing their grocery shopping. It's awkward, intrusive, and feels obnoxious.

Advice to Senior ManagementSetting up a cart at the front of the store or throughout the store gives employees a place to feel grounded and less uncomfortable, rather than expecting them to push banking services / products to customers shopping the aisles.

It was a great job I enjoyed the duties and customers just had a bad manager that pushed sales too far!

Teller (Former Employee) Toledo, OH (US)

ProsThe actual job of a teller is fun and mostly never boring.

ConsSALES SALES SALES!! and when someone wants you gone, its banking they can make anything look suspicious!

Advice to Senior ManagementSALES IS FOR BANKERS

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

modeler

Senior Modeler (Current Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

Prosgood work life balance
    good location
    PTO package is good

Consnothing particularly bad some politics

Good break in to the banking industry

Prossalary, upward mobility, training, time off

Conslong hours, random schedule, small staff

Great opportunity

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI (US)

ProsThe growth potential for the in-store program is tremendous.

ConsIncentive pay is convoluted. You are never quite sure what you will make from month to month. The Insurance program leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsult with some experts outside of the banking industry in the health field to see what other Insurance programs are out there. Simplify the incentive program. If you meet or exceed targets then reward your team.

Good job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood job as work was easy and made sense - training programs were good and management always there to help if questions from customers or questions that I would have. Coverage was good if one needed time off for doctor appointments or other appointments for kids.

ConsLong hours on my feet, sometimes management at different branches not real helpful. I also did not like the hours on Friday evenings or on Saturdays as I have children and difficulty in finding sitters, etc. I did not have to work every Saturday but many did.

Nice company

ProsGood benefits , pto . I like the work I do.

ConsNo bonus . Too much work .

Goals before customers

Personal Banker (Current Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay the bank closes at 5pm M-Th

ConsCan not retain top talent employees quit managers not companies. A lot of the Cincinnati area branch managers are not good communicators. Hitting your monthly goal is put before the customer

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicating and being a leader will help retain a lot of top talent

As a collector, our goals were completely unrealistic and were not granted the support of management.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsDecent hours and paid holidays off, which was a good thing.

ConsCOMPLETELY stressful and no support from management. The managers and team leaders were VERy disconnected with the team members

Worked for Huntington National Bank? Contribute to the Community!