Huntington National Bank

Be The First To
Add Photos

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour

Steve Steinour

Pros
  • great work/life balance for my family(in 6 reviews)

• Management was very personable, everyone was a team player, good benefits and perks(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work long hours sometimes 6-10 days in a row(in 15 reviews)

• Some disconnect between company vision of employees and upper management(in 12 reviews)

Room to Move up, Small Business Feel

Store Banking Specialist (Former Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsI had a great experience working for Huntington, although I was only there a short while. The training offered was helpful and extensive. I felt as though my manager truly cared about my progress and future with the business. Benefits were great and I felt valued as an individual.

ConsI cannot speak to working as a banker in a stand-alone store, because my experience was at an in-store branch at Giant Eagle. The most unfavorable component of this position is 'aisle time.' The company wants employees to spend time pushing checking accounts and other banking services / products while customers are doing their grocery shopping. It's awkward, intrusive, and feels obnoxious.

Advice to Senior ManagementSetting up a cart at the front of the store or throughout the store gives employees a place to feel grounded and less uncomfortable, rather than expecting them to push banking services / products to customers shopping the aisles.

Great opportunity

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI (US)

ProsThe growth potential for the in-store program is tremendous.

ConsIncentive pay is convoluted. You are never quite sure what you will make from month to month. The Insurance program leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsult with some experts outside of the banking industry in the health field to see what other Insurance programs are out there. Simplify the incentive program. If you meet or exceed targets then reward your team.

Great bank for the customers, not too great for employees

ProsAlthough this largely depends on the management, the schedule is flexible within reason and there are genuine efforts being made to promote nice work/life balance.
    Huntington's products are great and there is a genuine feel that the company truly believes in looking out for their customers. Same can not be said for most of the other larger banks.

ConsTurnover on the retail side is pretty bad and it isn't hard to see why. Huntington does not seem to be concerned with retaining talent. Rather then putting resources into retaining top talent, Huntington makes great efforts to increase their market share, regardless of the cost. Merit increases in retail are scarce, while the management's stance is that employees should focus on selling more and relying on incentive payouts. The biggest problem with this is that incentive payout opportunities decrease on the bi-yearly basis, while goals and expectations keep going up. Additionally, there is a lack of focus on professional development of employees and a huge lack of promotional opportunities. Huntington tends to give preference to hiring candidates from outside, rather than promoting from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on driving down the retention and development of colleagues. Happy and motivated employees will surely sell much better than disgruntled ones. Focus more on celebrating successes rather just pushing for more $$$s

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood job as work was easy and made sense - training programs were good and management always there to help if questions from customers or questions that I would have. Coverage was good if one needed time off for doctor appointments or other appointments for kids.

ConsLong hours on my feet, sometimes management at different branches not real helpful. I also did not like the hours on Friday evenings or on Saturdays as I have children and difficulty in finding sitters, etc. I did not have to work every Saturday but many did.

Nice company

ProsGood benefits , pto . I like the work I do.

ConsNo bonus . Too much work .

Goals before customers

Personal Banker (Current Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay the bank closes at 5pm M-Th

ConsCan not retain top talent employees quit managers not companies. A lot of the Cincinnati area branch managers are not good communicators. Hitting your monthly goal is put before the customer

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicating and being a leader will help retain a lot of top talent

I would go back

Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsEverything. The co workers, the customers

ConsPaying for downtown parking. Other than that nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

A good broad experience.

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsThere are ample opportunities for personal growth. Compensation is relatively competitive in certain areas.

ConsPaid time off is lagging behind from past employers. The intention for promotions seemed to be right on mark but the follow through of actually putting the promotion through seemed to be lagging. The work being completed seemed to be 2-3 years ahead of the title/compensation.

Working in a Huntington Bank branch as a personal banker was the most stressful job I have ever had due to their focus o

Senior Personal Banker (Former Employee) Toledo, OH (US)

ProsThey invest time and money in getting their staff licensed for security and insurance sales. Branch offices are bright, modern and appealing. I enjoyed making friends and establishing relationships with my customers. They were the best part of my job. Of course, there were a few stinkers!

ConsTheir focus on sales goals not customer service & needs made every month end a nightmare. Wearing company, polyester "career apparell" diminishes professionalism except at the teller level. I was fearful of taking time off because of the monthly push to make numbers in all areas...a week vacation would mess up your pipeline.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out who is doing the work at the branch level and staff these branches adequately. Tellers get the raw end of the stick. Most have no benefits and are ill equipped to make intelligent referrals for investment and lending products. Turn over is a big problem.

It all depends on the management

Personal Banker (Current Employee)

ProsCoworkers, 401k, time off allowances

ConsManagement, expectations, changing sales goals to a point where you can't reach them, 10 cent raises if you are lucky, terrible medical benefits and cost, always fearful of getting written up.

Advice to Senior ManagementInspect what you expect, look over the compensation and ask yourselves "can our loyal, talented employees survive on this?" Concern yourself with the everyday struggles and anxieties that the middle and lower management causes the little people.

Worked for Huntington National Bank? Contribute to the Community!