Huntington National Bank

Updated 22 October 2014
2.8

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Pros
  • work-life balance was very good; great benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Management was very personable, everyone was a team player, good benefits and perks (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a huge issue at HNB - IT employees normally work 60 (in 11 reviews)

• Work long hours sometimes 6-10 days in a row (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you know upper management you have it made when it comes to promotions and raises.

Cons

No pension plan it was frozen December 2013. benefits changed to where the employee is spending more out of pocket expenses to save the company money

It is the little people who is the back bone of the company. You need to make benefits more affordable.

As a collector, our goals were completely unrealistic and were not granted the support of management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent hours and paid holidays off, which was a good thing.

Cons

COMPLETELY stressful and no support from management. The managers and team leaders were VERy disconnected with the team members

Great bank for the customers, not too great for employees

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Although this largely depends on the management, the schedule is flexible within reason and there are genuine efforts being made to promote nice work/life balance.
    Huntington's products are great and there is a genuine feel that the company truly believes in looking out for their customers. Same can not be said for most of the other larger banks.

Cons

Turnover on the retail side is pretty bad and it isn't hard to see why. Huntington does not seem to be concerned with retaining talent. Rather then putting resources into retaining top talent, Huntington makes great efforts to increase their market share, regardless of the cost. Merit increases in retail are scarce, while the management's stance is that employees should focus on selling more and relying on incentive payouts. The biggest problem with this is that incentive payout opportunities decrease on the bi-yearly basis, while goals and expectations keep going up. Additionally, there is a lack of focus on professional development of employees and a huge lack of promotional opportunities. Huntington tends to give preference to hiring candidates from outside, rather than promoting from within.

Focus on driving down the retention and development of colleagues. Happy and motivated employees will surely sell much better than disgruntled ones. Focus more on celebrating successes rather just pushing for more $$$s

Room to Move up, Small Business Feel

Former Employee - Store Banking Specialist in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Store Banking Specialist in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had a great experience working for Huntington, although I was only there a short while. The training offered was helpful and extensive. I felt as though my manager truly cared about my progress and future with the business. Benefits were great and I felt valued as an individual.

Cons

I cannot speak to working as a banker in a stand-alone store, because my experience was at an in-store branch at Giant Eagle. The most unfavorable component of this position is 'aisle time.' The company wants employees to spend time pushing checking accounts and other banking services / products while customers are doing their grocery shopping. It's awkward, intrusive, and feels obnoxious.

Setting up a cart at the front of the store or throughout the store gives employees a place to feel grounded and less uncomfortable, rather than expecting them to push banking services / products to customers shopping the aisles.

It was a great job I enjoyed the duties and customers just had a bad manager that pushed sales too far!

Former Employee - Teller in Toledo, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Teller in Toledo, OH (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The actual job of a teller is fun and mostly never boring.

Cons

SALES SALES SALES!! and when someone wants you gone, its banking they can make anything look suspicious!

SALES IS FOR BANKERS

modeler

Current Employee - Senior Modeler in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Modeler in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good work life balance
    good location
    PTO package is good

Cons

nothing particularly bad some politics

Good break in to the banking industry

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

salary, upward mobility, training, time off

Cons

long hours, random schedule, small staff

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The growth potential for the in-store program is tremendous.

Cons

Incentive pay is convoluted. You are never quite sure what you will make from month to month. The Insurance program leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Consult with some experts outside of the banking industry in the health field to see what other Insurance programs are out there. Simplify the incentive program. If you meet or exceed targets then reward your team.

Good job.

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Good job as work was easy and made sense - training programs were good and management always there to help if questions from customers or questions that I would have. Coverage was good if one needed time off for doctor appointments or other appointments for kids.

Cons

Long hours on my feet, sometimes management at different branches not real helpful. I also did not like the hours on Friday evenings or on Saturdays as I have children and difficulty in finding sitters, etc. I did not have to work every Saturday but many did.

Nice company

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Good benefits , pto . I like the work I do.

Cons

No bonus . Too much work .