Hydrogen Group plc

2.4

Hydrogen Group plc CEO Tim Smeaton
Tim Smeaton

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great for someone starting in recruitment but definitely not for the long term.

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Good starter training.
    - Enjoyable culture if you like to party.
    - Something to get your foot in the door.

Cons

- You are just a number; no one cares about your progression as long as you're billing.
    - Terrible management.
    - Salary is poor for the considerable amount of hours.
    - Favouritism is high; sleep with a manager and you will progress to consultant level/senior consultant!

Recruitment consultant

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Strong brand in some practices - well networked, great reputation for being specialist and delivering. This gives a strong platform for new joiners.
    The commission structure has some mixed reviews but I tend to find the people who say it's terrible are those who are not performing to the right standard. Having researched into the market, most competitors are very ambiguous as to what you will receive commission wise and it's quite often at the discretion of their managers whereas at Hydrogen it's very transparent with even calculators so you can see what you earn each quarter.
    Great incentives - if you work hard and perform well you really do reap the benefits.

Cons

There has been a lot of change - most of it necessary - but the communication from the leadership teams has been dreadful at times which often leads to gossip which spreads like wildfire.
    It's hard to do a commission scheme where one size fits all - in some areas it can feel easier to make money.
    New hires are often not up to scratch - overconfident and never deliver. Need a better screening process.

Changes have been made. Now let's move forward.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work with some great people and have a good time at work (on the whole).

The environment is a young one yet is starting to get a little more mature. This is a good thing.

It now feels like the big changes are done with and that we can now stabilise and be more how it used to be. Again; this is a good thing.

The learning and development team are truly excellent. I have been in recruiting for quite a few years across a few companies and they are the best I have encountered in the industry.

Cons

The large amount of changes unsettled a lot of people and we lost some good colleagues (and some less good colleagues to be fair).

Back office processes are seemingly complicated and front office sales staff have little idea what they are. It's frustrating.

Communication between areas of the business needs to improve (management to sales and sales to back office). Maybe even a suggestion box? Hub Chatter is really only used for successes and not suggestions.

KPI system is one size fits all (across some very different recruiting areas). It's not appropriate.

Be more visible to staff (a bit of floor walking never hurts).

No more changes in 2014. Please.

Reduce sales staff attrition somehow. It's got out of control.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your comments. We're glad you understand the longer-term direction of Hydrogen and why changes need to happen. You raise some very valid points. Like all of these reviews, of course ... More

Going... Going... Gone.

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Started off ok last year but novelty wore off very quickly.

Great people to work with. If I didn't have this I'd have left 6 months ago. Very relaxed compared with other businesses.

Thanks honestly about it.

Cons

Where do I start.

Upper Management are seemingly all idiots.
    Culture has turned to crap.
    Salaries are diabolical (I earn less than minimum wage you would do better as a cleaner.)
    Comission is shocking, completely geared against new starters. You have to "pay" for the cost of your seat, so no commission on anything under £10,000. Likely % are about 5-10 after that which is low compared with others.
    CEO doesn't seem to really know what's happening on the ground.
    Vision is just a load of smoke
    Stuffing "values" down our throats.
    Little to no contact between disciplines.
    Other people always screwing up other people's clients, lost key business as a result.
    The list goes on....

I would not advice starting here. You'd do much better trying to jump in at the deep end elsewhere.

Actually listen to what is happening. Sort out the crap commission structure & pay people a wage that is in line the market average.

Recruitment Consultant

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training. Perfect for a first experience in recruitment.

Cons

Big variations from
    A team to another in terms of management. No real long term vision and strategic imput in the work done. Agressive approach to recruitment.

More wore on the merit of a consultative approach to recruitment and try to get rid of wrong managers

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen. As a matter of course, anybody that leaves the business is offered an exit interview so that we can continually learn and improve. If there was anything you ... More

Hydrogen has huge potential

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hydrogen has the right foundations in place to be really successful now that we have undergone a period of change and transition. We had some great characters here but it was too much of a fun place to be and had only a handful of really successful and driven consultants and leaders. We, in recent months appear to have grown up and fingers crossed will see more high earners and leaders develop in the future. I am excited to see how we look this time next year.

Cons

People have to genuinely want it and expectations need to be exceeded not just met so it concerns me that some people being lazy will delay this change happening quick enough to keep the good people interested.

Get out more and be inspirational.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response. It's great to see you understand the longer-term view for Hydrogen and how with us all working towards this, combined with the attitudes of people like yourself, we ... More

Really worried about the future

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're a recent grad keen on a party hard culture, H2 is great, 90% of the consultants are fresh out of university - the play-hard culture can be lots of fun.
    They tell a great story and can be very inspirational at times

Cons

I've been here for just over 2 years, but I am starting to get worried about what's going to happen in the next 2 years.
    We recently had a 'half year launch' and the presentations given by the senior leadership team were, in a word, awful. The slides were full of typo's and spelling mistakes, some of the directors didn't seem to know their material, some didn't seem to understand the figures, one lacked any conviction/belief in what they were saying. In places it was embarrassing to watch, but the reality is it's just another example of what I've seen happening to the business since I joined.
    We've just released another negative trading statement to the city, admitting that we aren't performing to expectation and it's just occurred to me that we haven't given the city any positive news since I joined - and the recruitment market is supposed to be booming right now!?!?
    A lot has changed since I started, which didn't use to bother me, however, we are changing too often and and too quickly and it's starting to feel like it's all reactive and short term and done to save money and protect our profits rather than because it's the right to do for the long term future of the business and it's for this reason I worry about what the future holds.

Be honest with your people, the spin you put into all the 'inspirational' talks, presentations and sales meetings is starting to wear thin - they might work on all the new hires who don't know any better, but for those of us who've been here a while, I'd like to hear the truth for a change.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention your concerns. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to find an AD or senior manager whom you have a ... More

Steadily going downhill

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Colleagues, Good brand, Location, Training

Cons

Low pay
    Work-life balance/flexibility
    Commission structure
    Promotion structure uninspiring
    No individual treatment
    Ask for help and don't get it

Instead of losing consultants to competitors, retain them by showing them their value in the business. A one size fits all approach does not work with regards to promotions etc, good billers are not necessarily good leaders and if you were more supportive you could unlock much more potential with the staff you have rather than letting them go elsewhere and then spending time and money on recruiting again

Disappointing and unsupported

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brand
    Colleagues
    Office is nice
    Great location
    Good clients
    Very relaxed work environment

I'm honestly struggling to meet the 20 word minimum for the pros side of things

Cons

Commission structure
    Basic salary
    Salary is less than minimum wage and doesn't even pay my living costs even after a year here
    They fired half my team
    All the top billers left
    Stranded in a slow market with little guidance
    Company feels like it is dying or will restructure to a much smaller size

Try and understand what the employees need and support that. Power points with baseless targets help no one.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention your concerns. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to raise these with your Line Manager. However, if ... More

Really good experience thus far

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Upon finishing university, I had no idea what I wanted to do. In an ideal world, I would have entered academia. However, the anaemic pay and poor working conditions (even at many top universities) were enough to put me off this route. Unlike most of my university friends who chose banking, consultancy, the Big 4 and law conversions, I really had no interest in pursuing these options either. I found them generic (and still do).

So, it was by complete chance that I applied to Hydrogen. As luck would have it, I couldn't have picked a better place to start my career. Instead of dull and menial tasks, I felt like I was given responsibility from the very beginning. In fact, every month at Hydrogen thus far has been a great learning curve. I work with some great colleagues. They're supportive, witty and, most importantly, work hard.

I'm constantly given new targets and regularly receive feedback from my management team. As a result, I know exactly where I am in terms of my progression and what I should be doing in order to improve. I've learned that time-management is key to everything and to keep pushing even when you feel you're getting nowhere. Compared to my friends in larger corporates, I know that I've learned a lot more and have actually enjoyed the content of my work.

Will I stay at Hydrogen forever? Who knows, but I do think the company has a great culture and an ambitious vision of what it wants to be. So, to conclude, I'm happy with my time here.

Cons

There needs to be more emphasis on people using the Hub. Too often candidates are added and left completely or partially unskilled (having said that, the Hub training is pretty comprehensive and organised).

More company-wide competitions to encourage a sales culture should take place.

If people have to hit certain KPIs, for example, then this should be more standardised i.e. everyone HAS to make 40 calls per day irrespective of your practice.

I find the cultures between various desks and practices vary quite a lot. Some desks and practices are great. Some have really good team leaders and a mature atmosphere. Others, however, do not.

Don't forget that the growth of APAC is also due to the economic growth of many emerging markets. It's no surprise that we're experiencing a boom there due to the disparity in talent between home-grown recruitment firms, with far less experience and capital, compared to foreign recruitment firms, like ourselves.

Get your act together when it comes to taking new consultants onboard. The gap between one consultant and the next is, at times, ridiculous. Be as picky with the sourcing of our consultants as we are with the sourcing of our candidates. Much more discrepancy is needed when trying to find consultants who actually have a decent work-ethic and who can quickly understand what their candidates do.

Get rid of certain team leaders. Far too many loud-mouthed consultants seem to have been promoted to positions of authority purely because they've billed respectably for a few quarters. Fortunately, my team leader is more mature, has a lot of experience and commands respect because he's actually good at managing people. However, this does not seem to be a company-wide phenomenon.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response. We're really pleased you chose Hydrogen too! You raise some very valid points. Like all of these reviews, of course we take on board these comments, however we also ... More

Hydrogen Group plc Photos