Hydrogen Group plc

Updated 25 November 2014
2.4

Hydrogen Group plc CEO Tim Smeaton
Tim Smeaton

Was good when I was there!

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Be the best" culture
    transparent career progression
    ability to get market share quickly
    Some very high performing teams - best I've seen in recruitment

Cons

Very KPI focused business, often distracting from quality
    changed strategy too frequently
    Teams didnt work the well together, but relationship function was addressing that

Get the old trainers back - they made us better recruiters then the competition, the "in house" training was too standard with the rest of the industry.
    Hire better quality - like when the company was Finance Professionals and Project Partners ect, and far less average grads.

Enjoyable place to work and moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My experience of the business has been really positive and I genuinely enjoy being at work. The company has grown quickly over the last couple of years and the culture is evolving with this growth which I feel is positive and necessary but I know some people have sruggled to adjust to this change. Having worked in a large recruitment agency it is refreshing to work somewhere where you ideas are taken on board and you feel less of a number and more valued within the organisation.
    Friendly and approachable senior management
    Black and white commission structure
    Nice balance of work hard and play hard culture
    Best training I have seen in recruitment
    Good reputation on the market place
    Strong business relationships and PSL's in place.

Cons

Need to continue to recruit strong people to move the business forwards.

No structure, horrible culture, bad remuneration

Former Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

there is nothing nice to say

Cons

Structure, management, lack transparency, no work life balance

not applicable

Miserable working culture; young uneducated dimwits running the show

Former Employee - Anonymous in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc

Pros

-Good Database
    -Non-management level colleagues
    -Some good perks - if they actually follow through with their promises
    Struggling to find more pros I'm afraid. Basic advice - don't work for this company.

Cons

-Horrific working environment; nothing you do is ever enough, extremely stressful even if you are doing well
    -Highly political
    -Long hours with no flexibility
    -Appalling commission structure
    -Low salaries
    -Very little training for junior consultants
    -Greedy, egotistical team leaders
    -Money grabbing CEO and MDs
    -Management is a joke. Most of the seniors got promoted simply because they moved over when they set up the office, not because they have ever produced anything. Most of them don't even have basic intelligence
    -Favoritism - some make it to the top because they are friends with the boss, even if they are stepping over colleagues who have more than proved their worth
    -Untrustworthy - watch out for their contract. They don't have to pay you your hard earned commission if they don't want to!

Treat your staff like human beings and not just money making machines.

Started out great - went rapidly down hill

Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I joined I was attracted by the passion and energy of the directors. Good brand ad high growth.

Cons

It soon became apparent that unless you were one on the old faces (i.e. been there from the beginning) you had no hope of being recognised, whatever your results were. There was a core group of managers that had the ear of certain directors who would throw you under a bus at the first opportunity to make themselves look good. Not what I expected from a PLC. Then came the change (which was needed) but the person making the decisions had no guts and just kept the same poisoned leadership team in place. If you talk about change and opportunity, at least make honest changes rather than pandering to certain people - its so obvious!!! Glad to have moved on.

Be honest and make decision for the business rather than ones to please the old timers and friends of the CEO

Great for someone starting in recruitment but definitely not for the long term.

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Good starter training.
    - Enjoyable culture if you like to party.
    - Something to get your foot in the door.

Cons

- You are just a number; no one cares about your progression as long as you're billing.
    - Terrible management.
    - Salary is poor for the considerable amount of hours.
    - Favouritism is high; sleep with a manager and you will progress to consultant level/senior consultant!

Extremely horrible working culture

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good learning ground, good database system

Cons

Hydrogen Singapore:

It's all about sending spec CVs to clients. Management does not bother to understand their staff on an individual basis. Everything is about KPIs KPIs KPIs. The attrition rate is very high and the management does not look into it as the common believe is that only the fittest will survive and the weak will leave.

You are constantly expected to be on the phone and lunch for an hour is frowned upon. Good sales people are promoted as managers and most of the time these are young aggressive boys who have no management skills whatsoever.

Look into your working culture. Start a warm and friendly culture. Get more locals to start managing or hire good local talent. You are in Asia not in UK!

Recruitment consultant

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Strong brand in some practices - well networked, great reputation for being specialist and delivering. This gives a strong platform for new joiners.
    The commission structure has some mixed reviews but I tend to find the people who say it's terrible are those who are not performing to the right standard. Having researched into the market, most competitors are very ambiguous as to what you will receive commission wise and it's quite often at the discretion of their managers whereas at Hydrogen it's very transparent with even calculators so you can see what you earn each quarter.
    Great incentives - if you work hard and perform well you really do reap the benefits.

Cons

There has been a lot of change - most of it necessary - but the communication from the leadership teams has been dreadful at times which often leads to gossip which spreads like wildfire.
    It's hard to do a commission scheme where one size fits all - in some areas it can feel easier to make money.
    New hires are often not up to scratch - overconfident and never deliver. Need a better screening process.

Changes have been made. Now let's move forward.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work with some great people and have a good time at work (on the whole).

The environment is a young one yet is starting to get a little more mature. This is a good thing.

It now feels like the big changes are done with and that we can now stabilise and be more how it used to be. Again; this is a good thing.

The learning and development team are truly excellent. I have been in recruiting for quite a few years across a few companies and they are the best I have encountered in the industry.

Cons

The large amount of changes unsettled a lot of people and we lost some good colleagues (and some less good colleagues to be fair).

Back office processes are seemingly complicated and front office sales staff have little idea what they are. It's frustrating.

Communication between areas of the business needs to improve (management to sales and sales to back office). Maybe even a suggestion box? Hub Chatter is really only used for successes and not suggestions.

KPI system is one size fits all (across some very different recruiting areas). It's not appropriate.

Be more visible to staff (a bit of floor walking never hurts).

No more changes in 2014. Please.

Reduce sales staff attrition somehow. It's got out of control.

Hydrogen Group plc Response

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your comments. We're glad you understand the longer-term direction of Hydrogen and why changes need to happen. You raise some very valid points. Like all of these reviews, of course ... More

Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training. Perfect for a first experience in recruitment.

Cons

Big variations from
    A team to another in terms of management. No real long term vision and strategic imput in the work done. Agressive approach to recruitment.

More wore on the merit of a consultative approach to recruitment and try to get rid of wrong managers

Hydrogen Group plc Response

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen. As a matter of course, anybody that leaves the business is offered an exit interview so that we can continually learn and improve. If there was anything you ... More

Hydrogen Group plc Photos