IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(2,890 ratings)

10,000 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits; flexible work hours; work from home (depending on the project);"
    in 1127 reviews
  • "There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up"
    in 1087 reviews
Cons:
  • "Demanding on time -- puts increasing pressure on maintaining work life balance"
    in 337 reviews
  • "Senior management that does not want to hear the truth about their pet ideas"
    in 193 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Take what you can get/use and progress your career elsewhere

Security (Current Employee)
Sydney

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros(Some) great people, flexibility working from home or different locations, great brand reputation to have on your portfolio

ConsSo much political and hierarchical nonsense, so much red tape and paper work crap in the background. Cost cutting EVERYWHERE, so many jobs cut (both contractors and full-timers), barely any salary improvement unless you literally walk on water or something. They try to work you into the ground with ridiculous work hours with no extra compensations

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip, let go of all these stupid unrealistic objectives to reach a certain goal by 2015, its not going to happen. Wake up

Profit before People

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people to work with and good technology

ConsThe constant change in management and territory does not allow you to build continuity in the role. I had 6 managers in 3 years, and 4 different territories I had to cover. This constant change means you are confused with the go to market strategy, so can you imagine how confused the customers are?

Advice to Senior Managementpeople before profit, and stop changing things every 6 months, and have a long term vision versus what is going to close or load order wise in the next week

Good experience, but don't stay too long

I have been working at IBM full-time

ProsNice work environment
Opportunities to travel
Reasonable perks

ConsYou're just a number
Mass retrenchments resulting in low morale

pegged with not alot of options

Technical Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Proson the plus side, work/life balance is good. Being able to work from home has it's benefits for both employee and employer. Most people on the same level as you are good to work with.
Pay is pretty good, but takes alot of years to achieve a decent salary. Lots of varied roles to choose from.

Conscompany boasts about providing education time (40hrs), but they rarely focus on truly investing in your education and skills properly. They have neglected education and skills for so long now, that they had to come up with the 40hrs, but staff need alot more. Building your skills is left to you to work out for yourself. So because people are lacking tech skills sometimes in the products they work with, the customers ultimately are disadvantaged. Management are constantly focused on metrics, and while that is required to a point, they take it too far. No GDP payments in 2014, and unlikely to be any in 2015. Staff cuts and offshoring just leaves more work for others to do. Staff cuts are damaging morale. Management is losing faith with staff. Not alot of people are happy. 2015 business plan is slowly destroying the company. Innovation comes from acquisitions, not much from within IBM.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your IBMers so they are seen as experts, and stop investing in number crunching.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Big but vulnerable and no strategy worth the name

Architect (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

ProsKnowledgeable people. Wonderful colleagues who wants to do what is right. Team level is cooperation is good.

ConsThe top brass has no strategy other than firing people to get their own mega bonuses for their own Earnings per Share 2015 road-map. Instead of firing people and investing in people and new products they are consumed by financial engineering and they don't see that the ship is sinking (or perhaps they are and just want to squeeze out the last pennies from the corpse). Everyone is consumed by fear that they might be the next layoff. All divisions are cut to the bone and mgmt still demands growth. There is a total disconnect between top management and the people below on why sales are not working. The reason why sales aren't working is the fact the poor sales and pre-sales people are having 10 layers of management trying control every move with red tape while competition is fast and nimble. IBM is its own worst enemy at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSkip the EPS2015 roadmap (which is clearly only your own bonus interests) and start building the company again with long term investments in people and cutting edge products. Your employees have lost all trust in you and are just waiting for your next cull. This is not the IBM we were proud of. Cut management layers and red tape so the employees can be productive and busy trying to report upwards all the time and you might actually get some revenue growth again.

I have had a great 5 years, with amazing growth and development opportunities.

Managing Consultant (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat opportunities, amazing width of experiences (across industries, service offerings, and clients).

ConsArduous administrative processes, also it is a slow promotion path (e.g. have to fill in a 30-40 page document to get a promotion)

Advice to Senior ManagementThe "efficiency" moves have placed greater administration burden onto practitioners and prevents them from performing their core function, that is delivering value to clients.

Fantastic Culture

Sydney

I have been working at IBM as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros- The people
- Countless opportunities to work across the business
- Collaborative culture

Cons- Work/life balance was an issue

overall happy experience

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsConstantly changing environment and work/life flexibility

Consdo more with less...., constantly, year after year

Impressive company in terms of portfolio, people and heritage

I have been working at IBM

ProsUnmatched portfolio of capabilities, resources and market presence. Company has the means and the offerings needed to capitalise on opportunities arising from industries transforming, emerging or being disrupted around the globe.

ConsTends be too conservative and hence not exploiting its full potential, which can be very frustrating when you see missed or lost opportunities, or being beaten by bolder and more entrepreneurial, albeit less capable, competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe bold(er), take and manage risks - not simply avoid them

Ok progression for not much pay raises

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM

ProsFlexible work-life balance, Plenty of opportunities

ConsPay needs to be negotiated before signing the agreement. After that its stagnant

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a consistent strategy

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 10,000 reviews are posted anonymously by IBM employees.