IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(2,890 ratings)

10,000 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Management allows me to work from home and have flexible working hours"
    in 1053 reviews
  • "Work/Life balance and they still have some of the smartest people in the industry"
    in 1013 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance has magically morphed to work/life integration meaning your life is your work"
    in 319 reviews
  • "Practitioners on the other hand literally abuse the "Work from home" culture and "Sick leaves""
    in 74 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ok progression for not much pay raises

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM

ProsFlexible work-life balance, Plenty of opportunities

ConsPay needs to be negotiated before signing the agreement. After that its stagnant

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a consistent strategy

One liner..

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSignificant place to learn new mass market technology

ConsPigeon holed to a role and difficult to step out of it

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps look at newer approaches to performance management

IBM would be great if it got out of it's own way!

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsQuality of their people and willingness to assist new starters navigate their way around IBM restrictions.

ConsThey have the worst internal processes of all global companies I have come across. They believe the IBM way is the best way and their procurement, recruitment and other back office functions are woeful. IBM "lifers" and ex PWC execs play the game of survival and management by cost reductions. They have no concept of how to vary strategy according to local market conditions, and their cost overheads render themselves uncompetitive iin all but the largest global deals.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow professional hires to influence your go-to-market strategies in local markets. Delegate much more reponsibility to your front-line management. Adopt Jack Welch's business values.

Long time IBM'er

Client Executive (Current Employee)
Brisbane

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIBM still has the best solution/capability set in the marketplace, although as you scale down to smaller customers its becomes less and less relevant.

ConsMorale is poor. Lots of redundancies in 2013, often the best and brightest (highest paid). As Client Exec I'm nearly always the smartest guy left on the sales team which is a worry in a supposed "Innovation company". Lots of "Mr Average" left working for IBM these days.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on getting to $20 earning per share (2015 roadmap) through cost cutting, and invest in Innovation again.

IBM is a company with truly global reach and a broad selection of career opportunities for all levels of professionals

Software Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexibility, breadth of opportunity, technology leader, reputation, strong culture of vision and values

ConsGiant bureaucracy, pillared business units, performance management program is dated

Advice to Senior ManagementRadically reinvent the employee management structures for performance, recognition, and progression

Great company. Your exposed to every part of a business and can always find somebody that knows the answer.

Client Executive In Ibm.com (Former Employee)
Sydney

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPut me through a great sales training course. Invested heavily in me through corporate training events and mentors were great. Stood the test of time in the technology space. Lots of smart people that want to do good work. Very experiences corporate types. Great thought leadership. Does work that matters.

ConsSystems, Process, Culture needs to change to be more like Google, Facebook, Linkedin. Established culture where a more entrepreneur approach to sales might work better.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up the IBM stereotype. Take risks. Be more innovative in sales and business approach.

Great site within IBM to work at

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Gold Coast

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTechnology, location are big pluses

ConsDistance from the US in particular makes some things tricky - but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork towards co-located teams - not distributed

Great learning

Team Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time

ProsThe variety and type of functional roles is second to none in the IT industry

ConsPoor employee remuneration and benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed for better employee benefits and attention towards employee’s educational advanacements

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Supportive, yet competitive.

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

ProsGlobal network of smart and curious colleagues willing to network and help each other out.

ConsCost cutting and extreme self service is damaging morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on ratios and look for long term strategy that rewards employees.

Just another headcount

IT Specialist (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVolunteer group, people (some of them)

ConsSalary below market value, too many red tape processes, only care about cost cutting

Advice to Senior ManagementNo more fat to trim, how about cutting your own pay packets

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 10,000 reviews are posted anonymously by IBM employees.