IBM

3.5 10,000 reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,330 ratings)

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

10,000 Employee Reviews

Great site within IBM to work at

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Gold Coast

ProsTechnology, location are big pluses

ConsDistance from the US in particular makes some things tricky - but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork towards co-located teams - not distributed

Supportive, yet competitive.

ProsGlobal network of smart and curious colleagues willing to network and help each other out.

ConsCost cutting and extreme self service is damaging morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on ratios and look for long term strategy that rewards employees.

Just another headcount

IT Specialist (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsVolunteer group, people (some of them)

ConsSalary below market value, too many red tape processes, only care about cost cutting

Advice to Senior ManagementNo more fat to trim, how about cutting your own pay packets

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very demanding and constant pressure

Delivery Executive (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsCulture of integrity, diversity, respect and teaming is excellent

ConsHours are long and extends to weekends

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in people

Decent place, some get lost in the system

Intern (Former Employee) North Sydney

ProsGood managers, nice place to learn

ConsJust another part of the machine, huge company

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and make all interns and grads feel more welcome and less like an expendable resource

Informative

Account Executive (Former Employee) Melbourne

ProsFantastic Training, really provides a solid basis for a career. Better than anywhere else that I have since worked.

ConsHighly political, focus on how well you can "play the game" and not on results or skills. The way to succeed is to be good at politicking.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on results instead of politics

Alright

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey bought my last firm

ConsToo big, clunky and lacking focus

Software Asset Manager Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- good team
    - good people

Cons- low morale
    - cost restrictions
    - offshoring

Poor management, poor morale and poor morals

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsLooks good on a cv

ConsThe constant rounds of redundancies and offshoring have sapped morale at this company, never have I worked at a company where the fear factor is so pervasive. The offshoring mantra is so embedded that nobody will raise an objection even though it just leads to more work being piled on the onshore team as the offshore teams are never up to the task, management will cover this up, all adds up to client dissatisfaction and losing contracts, which starts another round of redundancies and offshoring, a vicious circle.
    All in all have not worked at a company with less respect for their employees by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no real way to arrest the decline in IBM as it's so big to change the culture now is a massive task, they are losing contracts to smaller more nimble players and are filling companies with disgruntled ex ibmers who'll never award them contracts.

Old and still traditional type of giant organisation

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsAllow working from home. Most of the external clients are very professional to work with.

ConsPoor leadership and management. Salary is super low. Promotion process is ridiculously hard for majority to go through and succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be selfish. Be a positive leaders to support your workers, not just talk. Do this for the sake of "give back".

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!