IBM

12,180 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,862 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

IBM is a great place to start your Career

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong support and training available, smart colleagues, (relatively) stable company, always a challenge around the corner. IBM treats it's entry level employees fairly well, and the health care offered is fantastic.

Cons

Like others have said, as a consultant prepare to work long hours with clients that may not hold IBM in the highest regard. Also, in the near 2 years I've worked here, the companies financial performance has been declining. That has definitely reduced morale around the office, and the feeling by those around me is "why try hard this year, there are no bonuses anyway"

With improved financial performance overall, it would be a better place to work. I know that's not an easy ask.

Poor Pay, Terrible working conditions

Former Employee - Consulting IT Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Consulting IT Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Too Much Travel. Not proper work/life balance

Don't let HR run the company

"Don't protect the past…which seems to include many of the reasons to work there"

Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You have an opportunity to work with some very smart and seasoned people. Benefits are generally good. Depending on your management, you may have an opportunity to move around and manage your career.

Cons

Training other than self-study/off-hours is pretty much non-existent due to spending budget restrictions. The internal education site "free classes" are mundane and out-of-date. Morale overall was pretty downtrodden. Every cycle a couple of people would disappear from immediate or matrixes teams in the next resource action, even where no low/mid-performers in revenue-generating roles. No longer a long-term career for most outside of management. Benefits decreasing or disappearing. Managers can limit your mobility within company by identifying you as a "critical" resource based on job-role, but have no means to justify keeping the headcount when the cuts are mandated.

Culture and values are spiraling downward. May be great if you make it to the other side of Roadmap 2015, but negatively impacting a large number of quality, performing US workers along the way. Quality and time to delivery is suffering.

Not like what it used to be

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Still get to work alongside some wonderful and intelligent people.

Cons

The management team (especially in corporate) no longer cared about the employees, they just cared about meeting their numbers.

Get back into caring about the employees, that's what made the company great in the first place.

Great Company to start with hard to move up ranks

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Starting Compensation - Coming out of college the salary is much more than most companies offer.
    Having the IBM name on your resume
    Flexibility with working from home

Cons

Tough to move up the ladder -
    Management out of touch
    Hardly any perks - Over the years IBM has gradually ripped the employee benefits one by one. To the point where there are little to no incentives outside of your salary.
    Extremely tough to get a raise

completed contract

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at IBM as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

IBM Strategic Outsourcing is making good head way on re-focusing on the cost, value and customer stat needs. The tools are getting better for project management.

Cons

I have trained so many global resources that I should be considered a member of another country! That being said, being a U.S. PM - you should consider moving to other employment options. The reason is obvious ($$/rubee/Yuan …) are not in your favor.

I think U.S. Management at the lower levels have to be pretty tired due to RIF and consolidated groups - my compassion is great to them. As for upper management - they are trying to find the next product that will keep them in the game. The last major trick was massive out-sourcing in 1990' to mid 2006 -- and they are late to the cloud party. It will be interesting to see how this pays out - good luck!

Bad place for contractors, stay away!

Current Employee - Information Security Advisor in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Information Security Advisor in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on the position, you get to work from home. That's the only good thing depending on how you look at it.

Cons

IBM never gives you advance notice before your contract expires, so you always find out on the last day that you are gone! They usually hire you for a year contract then sometimes renew it until the day you find out your contract is over (often times managers know ahead of time when your contract will expire, but they do not tell the contractors because they want to use the contractors until the last day so that it won't hurt the business). Also, you are always in a furlough, every year! They will cut your hours as low as 25 hours/week, which is impossible for someone to make a living. They want you to work like an animal and what you hear during the interview process is not what you will be doing; they will add more work to your plate. You end up not making what you are supposed to be making due to furlough, no holiday pay, no overtime, etc. Forget about getting hired full-time; this will never happen regardless of how many years you work there as a contractor. You won't get any help from management either because executives are making all the decisions. Managers treat the contractors like garbage; they only support "regular" employees!

This is a stable and fast-growing enviornment, great benefits, and potential transfer within the company.

Current Employee - Team Lead in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fast growing environment, great benefits, work/life balance

Cons

no salary increase, too many procedures to follow.

promotions

Reached a peak of job satisfaction 5-7 years ago, downhill since then

Current Employee - IT Architect in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - IT Architect in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home arrangements, Name recognition, dealing with a global team... you will meet everyone from everywhere, but only if you travel on business. Benefits are still good, compared to other places, but being reduced each year.

Cons

IBM has a huge work from home culture, however I wouldn't necessarily call it work-life balance, as you are always expected to drop what you are doing 24/7 for conference calls. Your manager may be in another country and from a culture which is not similar to your own... but you will change managers every year and the only thing the new manager will know about you is what your previous manager tells them in the turn-over meeting. I probably had 8 managers in the last decade while staying in the same job role. I only ever met 2 of them in person.

Not really worth the time, the band 9 and 10 managers have no power to influence or change anything, and the people above them do not listen to anything from "the ranks"

Not exactly the company I envisioned.

Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Medical and dental insurance were good. Company sought to grow it's consulting business, but it's not happening fast enough to keep up with competitors.

Cons

In my division there was very little growth. Most jobs were migrating to India or South America. During the 12 years I was employed, I probably only received a small raise very other year.

I realize that the business is global, but IBM needs to start caring about it's employees as people, not as just a body filling a chair.