IBM

12,149 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,848 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1321 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1289 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 416 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 209 reviews)

More Highlights

The Best Company, The Best People.

Former Employee - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Sydney
    Former Employee - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Sydney

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When you join IBM you are an IBMer for life. There are so many talented, intelligent, innovative people working side by side with you every day that you are inspired to be the best you can be.
    Work/life balance is extremely important as are the happiness, satisfaction and safety of all staff.
    All new ideas, no matter if they come from the mailroom or the executive board are treated with the consideration and enthusiasm.

Cons

I really have no negatives to report at all. If I hadn't needed to move away I would have happily been an IBM lifer

Keep on keeping on!

Best place to work.. good work culture

I worked at IBM

Pros

Best place to work.
    Very good work culture as compare to other Indian IT companies.

Cons

Salary below market trends sometimes.
    complex management hierarchy.

IBM is great if you enjoy the culture

Former Employee - SAP Developer in Melbourne
    Former Employee - SAP Developer in Melbourne

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Compensation was average. Benefits average. Promotions - Americans in Australia should forget promotions. It is not going to happen.

Cons

I worked in Melbourne, Australia and those particular Australians did not like Americans. I also did not appreciate their constant "maximize revenue" mantras. It was always about getting more business rather than making sure that the customer was receiving maximum value.

I learned a lot

Current Employee - Associate Partner in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Associate Partner in Melbourne

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with backing to do big things

Cons

Confused strategy and KPI many execs from commodity background

Get the strategy right

customer service

I have been working at IBM

Pros

v good team and friendly and stuff

Cons

ok pay but not too great and stuff

Good People, Management lack of Vision

Current Employee - ITSpecialist in Sydney
    Current Employee - ITSpecialist in Sydney

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Work Arrangements, Good People, Ability to move inside IBM fairly easily

Cons

Overly centralised control of Strategy, too much red-tape, overly focussed on Process rather than results

Allow the technical People to make the technical decisions, and let Management focus on Managing

IBM can't get out of its own way

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have to say I have never worked anywhere with as much support infrastructure as IBM. The company is really good at understanding markets and pulling together solutions that meet particular needs. IBM Sales School is one of the best and equips people very well for sales roles. There are a tremendous number of really good people at IBM and many of them are very good at what they do.

Cons

I found the infighting too much to bear. As soon as an opportunity is identified people come out of the woodwork to get their fingers in the pie - especially from under-performing parts of the business. There are lots of people at IBM who are so-called experts with very little evidence to support that claim. I ran into a number of managers that seemed to be in their roles by virtue of longevity rather than any real management skill.

My one bit of advice is to do more to preserve acquired companies. IBM seems to suck the life of out of acquired companies and they wind up falling short of what was envisioned. IBM somehow, perhaps by design, makes life difficult for acquired personnel to the extent that many of the people who made those companies an attractive purchase struggle to find a reason to stick around.

A technology leader who's forgotten how to lead with innovative technology

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worldwide opportunities
    A global change agent for companies and societies
    Work with very smart people
    Work-life balance
    Family friendly
    Exposure to some of the best technologies out there: Softlayer is best of breed and Watson does not have any serious competition

Cons

Senior management is unwilling to ditch flawed strategic roadmap
    Layoffs are chopping people that are required for strategic growth
    Average pay
    Training is becoming optional or held on weekends

Ask what would Thomas Watson do? Where's the soul of IBM? Is what you're planning going to take IBM another 100 years on?

Not Paid for work I performed

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at IBM as a contractor

Pros

I was not paid for the work I performed at IBM hence there are no pros to enter in this section of the review.

Cons

My story as a contractor at IBM – I worked for IBM eighteen months ago and my contract was cut short by IBM two months early.

I started another 6 month, hourly paid, PAYG contract with IBM through an agency recently but decided to leave early after working 68 hours (9 working days at 7.5hrs) with 2 days enforced leave, no email or intranet access for the first week.

I have been paid for 13 hours only (the hours worked on the first two days of the contract). When I queried I was referred to the:

“No Compensation” clauses on Page 7, this indicates that “Should the Contractor for any reason, not complete the term of the assignment and have been engaged by agency for more than 10 working days, then agency shall not be obliged to pay any fee to the Contractor for the final 10 days worked by the Contractor”.

Shocker!

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Home life balance was great, but that was about it.

Cons

Red tape, took too long to do simple tasks. Cost cutting to the point of no tea or coffee, no bins, no stationery, no claiming broadband, no team lunches or dinners. A very very tight company. IBM made thousands redundant and therefore the vibe within the company is depressing. You never know when you are going to get the tap on the shoulder. Not a friendly company to work for. And definitely not a social company. I would even say that people will stab you in the back to get ahead. Barely a pay rise in years.

Consider not being so tight!