IBM

12,328 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,925 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

Great learning environment

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Melbourne

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance with the ability to work from home. A lot of autonomy to perform your tasks. Good salary. Good learning environment. Great team culture. People are always helpful.

Cons

Majority of workforce is contractors. Low job retention rate as a result losing wealth of knowledge over time. Working in business units creates a lot of duplication (Silos).

Must address the retention rate. Must integrate the business units to reduce redundancies and duplication. Work towards a leaner organization.

Internship

Current Employee - Intern in Sydney
    Current Employee - Intern in Sydney

I have been working at IBM as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Many fellow interns and people to share drinks with.

Cons

Difficulty with managing expectations, depending on division there is either too much or too little work for the interns to do.

Please give training to teams for how to treat interns, and give the teams an insight into the incentives as well as the difficulty in working full time prior to graduation.

The Best Company, The Best People.

Former Employee - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Sydney
    Former Employee - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Sydney

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When you join IBM you are an IBMer for life. There are so many talented, intelligent, innovative people working side by side with you every day that you are inspired to be the best you can be.
    Work/life balance is extremely important as are the happiness, satisfaction and safety of all staff.
    All new ideas, no matter if they come from the mailroom or the executive board are treated with the consideration and enthusiasm.

Cons

I really have no negatives to report at all. If I hadn't needed to move away I would have happily been an IBM lifer

Keep on keeping on!

Best place to work.. good work culture

I worked at IBM

Pros

Best place to work.
    Very good work culture as compare to other Indian IT companies.

Cons

Salary below market trends sometimes.
    complex management hierarchy.

IBM is great if you enjoy the culture

Former Employee - SAP Developer in Melbourne
    Former Employee - SAP Developer in Melbourne

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Compensation was average. Benefits average. Promotions - Americans in Australia should forget promotions. It is not going to happen.

Cons

I worked in Melbourne, Australia and those particular Australians did not like Americans. I also did not appreciate their constant "maximize revenue" mantras. It was always about getting more business rather than making sure that the customer was receiving maximum value.

Lost The Plot

Former Employee - Program Manager in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Melbourne

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Honestly, I don't have anything positive to say about IBM right now. Initially it was a great company to work for, but now it's all about cost savings and job losses

Cons

Bad and unmotivating environment. Extensive job cuts and with the grapevine being what it is, many people unsure of what's to come.
    Becoming a dog eat dog world, with everyone out to save themselves
    Pityful payrises and bonus payments (if any!)
    Good people leaving
    Management only in it for themselves....don't care about employees
    Nothing at all for staff - xmas party, tea/coffee, stationery, social functions all gone
    Too hierarchical and approval process ridiculous
    Redundant employees given four weeks notice to find another internal role....bit hard with a hire freeze! Stupid policy

Learn to value and reward staff more. A lot of people work very hard, for no reward while the top cats still line their pockets.

I learned a lot

Current Employee - Associate Partner in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Associate Partner in Melbourne

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with backing to do big things

Cons

Confused strategy and KPI many execs from commodity background

Get the strategy right

Good People, Management lack of Vision

Current Employee - ITSpecialist in Sydney
    Current Employee - ITSpecialist in Sydney

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Work Arrangements, Good People, Ability to move inside IBM fairly easily

Cons

Overly centralised control of Strategy, too much red-tape, overly focussed on Process rather than results

Allow the technical People to make the technical decisions, and let Management focus on Managing

IBM can't get out of its own way

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have to say I have never worked anywhere with as much support infrastructure as IBM. The company is really good at understanding markets and pulling together solutions that meet particular needs. IBM Sales School is one of the best and equips people very well for sales roles. There are a tremendous number of really good people at IBM and many of them are very good at what they do.

Cons

I found the infighting too much to bear. As soon as an opportunity is identified people come out of the woodwork to get their fingers in the pie - especially from under-performing parts of the business. There are lots of people at IBM who are so-called experts with very little evidence to support that claim. I ran into a number of managers that seemed to be in their roles by virtue of longevity rather than any real management skill.

My one bit of advice is to do more to preserve acquired companies. IBM seems to suck the life of out of acquired companies and they wind up falling short of what was envisioned. IBM somehow, perhaps by design, makes life difficult for acquired personnel to the extent that many of the people who made those companies an attractive purchase struggle to find a reason to stick around.

customer service

I have been working at IBM

Pros

v good team and friendly and stuff

Cons

ok pay but not too great and stuff