IBM Reviews

11,915 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,727 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1308 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1281 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 414 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 208 reviews)

More Highlights

customer service

I have been working at IBM

Pros

v good team and friendly and stuff

Cons

ok pay but not too great and stuff

Good People, Management lack of Vision

Current Employee - ITSpecialist in Sydney
    Current Employee - ITSpecialist in Sydney

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Work Arrangements, Good People, Ability to move inside IBM fairly easily

Cons

Overly centralised control of Strategy, too much red-tape, overly focussed on Process rather than results

Allow the technical People to make the technical decisions, and let Management focus on Managing

IBM can't get out of its own way

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have to say I have never worked anywhere with as much support infrastructure as IBM. The company is really good at understanding markets and pulling together solutions that meet particular needs. IBM Sales School is one of the best and equips people very well for sales roles. There are a tremendous number of really good people at IBM and many of them are very good at what they do.

Cons

I found the infighting too much to bear. As soon as an opportunity is identified people come out of the woodwork to get their fingers in the pie - especially from under-performing parts of the business. There are lots of people at IBM who are so-called experts with very little evidence to support that claim. I ran into a number of managers that seemed to be in their roles by virtue of longevity rather than any real management skill.

My one bit of advice is to do more to preserve acquired companies. IBM seems to suck the life of out of acquired companies and they wind up falling short of what was envisioned. IBM somehow, perhaps by design, makes life difficult for acquired personnel to the extent that many of the people who made those companies an attractive purchase struggle to find a reason to stick around.

A technology leader who's forgotten how to lead with innovative technology

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worldwide opportunities
    A global change agent for companies and societies
    Work with very smart people
    Work-life balance
    Family friendly
    Exposure to some of the best technologies out there: Softlayer is best of breed and Watson does not have any serious competition

Cons

Senior management is unwilling to ditch flawed strategic roadmap
    Layoffs are chopping people that are required for strategic growth
    Average pay
    Training is becoming optional or held on weekends

Ask what would Thomas Watson do? Where's the soul of IBM? Is what you're planning going to take IBM another 100 years on?

Not Paid for work I performed

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at IBM as a contractor

Pros

I was not paid for the work I performed at IBM hence there are no pros to enter in this section of the review.

Cons

My story as a contractor at IBM – I worked for IBM eighteen months ago and my contract was cut short by IBM two months early.

I started another 6 month, hourly paid, PAYG contract with IBM through an agency recently but decided to leave early after working 68 hours (9 working days at 7.5hrs) with 2 days enforced leave, no email or intranet access for the first week.

I have been paid for 13 hours only (the hours worked on the first two days of the contract). When I queried I was referred to the:

“No Compensation” clauses on Page 7, this indicates that “Should the Contractor for any reason, not complete the term of the assignment and have been engaged by agency for more than 10 working days, then agency shall not be obliged to pay any fee to the Contractor for the final 10 days worked by the Contractor”.

Shocker!

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Home life balance was great, but that was about it.

Cons

Red tape, took too long to do simple tasks. Cost cutting to the point of no tea or coffee, no bins, no stationery, no claiming broadband, no team lunches or dinners. A very very tight company. IBM made thousands redundant and therefore the vibe within the company is depressing. You never know when you are going to get the tap on the shoulder. Not a friendly company to work for. And definitely not a social company. I would even say that people will stab you in the back to get ahead. Barely a pay rise in years.

Consider not being so tight!

Looks great on the resume, but...

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Melbourne

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You'd be working for a strong brand name that everyone recognises and respects. It's a global company that's interconnected, so there's many opportunities to work with people in other countries, and even pursue careers over there (if you play your cards right). There's the option to work from home, although that can sometimes pose a problem (see 'cons'). There's jobs for anyone of any background (Project Management, Sales, Accounting, Consulting, etc), but not everyone.

Cons

Unless you're in the project management space, there's no formal training/hand-over proccess in most areas I've worked, so you'd be at the mercy of existing team members if you're new. Hands-on training can be poor. It's also difficult to achieve a strong team environment with synergy, because often people choose to work from home, and you don't get to speak with them face-to-face. Sometimes it's like you have to formally book a meeting just to see a member of your own team. Managers are good at what they do (technically), but lack important people skills - They're often task-orientated, and when under pressure, they focus solely their own survival than on their workers well-being. To be blunt, most managers I've experienced see their subordinates as tools rather than actual people.

Make an effort to truly (and enthusiastically) understand your employees. Spend more time with them face-to-face, and take more interest in how their coping with workloads. If you can, discourage people from working from home unless they have a good reason, because people really should work together in the same office. Remember - Actions speak louder than words. You must DO. If you just offer lip service, then you can expect people to run off to the likes of HP, Accenture and Fuji Xerox.

Inside Sales Representative

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Sydney
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Sydney

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Will learn all product, software and services offering.

Cons

At some time you will feel bored due to non-personal and face-to-face engagement with the clients.

It is good that management advised the Inside Sales Reps about the job coverage and expectation. It might be better to shorten the training period and move reps to other roles after 6 months.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Call Centre in Ballarat
    Current Employee - Call Centre in Ballarat

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Teams, Opportunity, Quality, Friends, Training, Location

Cons

none that I can think of right now

keep up the good work

It's been worthwhile

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Global footprint, Big brand, Learning and Training opportunities

Cons

Tend to get lost in the crowd, Increments are not as encouraging

Recognition of those who are not able to hard sell themselves, but are good workers nevertheless.