IBM

3.2 10,000 reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,365 ratings)

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights
10,000 Employee Reviews

I have had a great 5 years, with amazing growth and development opportunities.

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsGreat opportunities, amazing width of experiences (across industries, service offerings, and clients).

ConsArduous administrative processes, also it is a slow promotion path (e.g. have to fill in a 30-40 page document to get a promotion)

Advice to Senior ManagementThe "efficiency" moves have placed greater administration burden onto practitioners and prevents them from performing their core function, that is delivering value to clients.

Impressive company in terms of portfolio, people and heritage

ProsUnmatched portfolio of capabilities, resources and market presence. Company has the means and the offerings needed to capitalise on opportunities arising from industries transforming, emerging or being disrupted around the globe.

ConsTends be too conservative and hence not exploiting its full potential, which can be very frustrating when you see missed or lost opportunities, or being beaten by bolder and more entrepreneurial, albeit less capable, competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe bold(er), take and manage risks - not simply avoid them

Fear and Loathing - If You Think its a Great Place Work you must be A Salesman

Support (Current Employee)

ProsSome of the staff are technically brilliant and working with them you learn a great deal.
    Leave for health issues is very generous.

ConsGlobal delivery staff from third world countries are often inept and do not do their jobs, meaning that we have to do the 'heavy lifting' on their behalf.
    Their is a culture of fear as to who will be the next to be cut.
    Salaries tend to be static, even if you take more responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff have no respect for you or understanding of your plans. You 'rule' with fear.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok progression for not much pay raises

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work-life balance, Plenty of opportunities

ConsPay needs to be negotiated before signing the agreement. After that its stagnant

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a consistent strategy

One liner..

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsSignificant place to learn new mass market technology

ConsPigeon holed to a role and difficult to step out of it

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps look at newer approaches to performance management

Long time IBM'er

Client Executive (Current Employee) Brisbane

ProsIBM still has the best solution/capability set in the marketplace, although as you scale down to smaller customers its becomes less and less relevant.

ConsMorale is poor. Lots of redundancies in 2013, often the best and brightest (highest paid). As Client Exec I'm nearly always the smartest guy left on the sales team which is a worry in a supposed "Innovation company". Lots of "Mr Average" left working for IBM these days.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on getting to $20 earning per share (2015 roadmap) through cost cutting, and invest in Innovation again.

IBM is a company with truly global reach and a broad selection of career opportunities for all levels of professionals

Software Development Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility, breadth of opportunity, technology leader, reputation, strong culture of vision and values

ConsGiant bureaucracy, pillared business units, performance management program is dated

Advice to Senior ManagementRadically reinvent the employee management structures for performance, recognition, and progression

Great company. Your exposed to every part of a business and can always find somebody that knows the answer.

Client Executive In Ibm.com (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsPut me through a great sales training course. Invested heavily in me through corporate training events and mentors were great. Stood the test of time in the technology space. Lots of smart people that want to do good work. Very experiences corporate types. Great thought leadership. Does work that matters.

ConsSystems, Process, Culture needs to change to be more like Google, Facebook, Linkedin. Established culture where a more entrepreneur approach to sales might work better.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up the IBM stereotype. Take risks. Be more innovative in sales and business approach.

IBM would be great if it got out of it's own way!

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsQuality of their people and willingness to assist new starters navigate their way around IBM restrictions.

ConsThey have the worst internal processes of all global companies I have come across. They believe the IBM way is the best way and their procurement, recruitment and other back office functions are woeful. IBM "lifers" and ex PWC execs play the game of survival and management by cost reductions. They have no concept of how to vary strategy according to local market conditions, and their cost overheads render themselves uncompetitive iin all but the largest global deals.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow professional hires to influence your go-to-market strategies in local markets. Delegate much more reponsibility to your front-line management. Adopt Jack Welch's business values.

Supportive, yet competitive.

ProsGlobal network of smart and curious colleagues willing to network and help each other out.

ConsCost cutting and extreme self service is damaging morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on ratios and look for long term strategy that rewards employees.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!