IG Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

IG Group CEO Tim Howkins

Tim Howkins

Challenging, fast paced work place

I have been working at IG Group full-time

ProsAccess to latest technologies, regularly pushing the technical boundaries with suppliers as the flag bearer, modern and fun office with excellent amenities. Competitive pay and benefits, close to Gym.

ConsThe fast pace is often at the compromise of technical training and staff growth is limited, lack of or limited planning for projects and a 'just make it work' approach. IT staff participate in on call work with time in lieu as compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your staff, treat them as your greatest assets and as people.

Good but not that good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IG Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood group of colleagues. Nice perks e.g. monthly drinks, good bonuses.

ConsVery political, minimal communication with senior staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more regular feedback.

Ok-ish company to work with, for a short while

Java Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at IG Group full-time for more than a year

ProsVery pretty office, plus all the nice IT company perks: fruit, Friday beers (well, once a month), pool table, etc. Good social scene: drink, parties etc. Opportunities to learn, especially for beginners. Deadlines nearly non-existent in some projects. Big bonuses and regular pay hikes, although the base salaries are pretty low. Very easy to get promoted (and demoted).

ConsCatty, stressful environment with a culture of blaming, finger-pointing and brown-nosing. Thriving there is more of a matter of marketing yourself than producing good code. Lots of stuck-up people, in some teams more than in others. Micromanagement endemic, again only in some teams. Some mediocre staff who have managed to build themselves a niche and seems to be there since about forever. Not fully agile: QA somewhat disconnected from the building process. Systematic character assassination of every developer who has left spontaneously. Frequent firings of people although, as far as I've witnessed, only as a last resort.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernise. Some of the procedures used, both technical and managerial, are jurassic.

Worst if you are a developer

Developer (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at IG Group full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary, no work pressure and fruits

ConsEverything else and prod support

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to behave as a human

High politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IG Group

Pros- good work life balance

Cons- Highly political environment
- Fading entrepreneurial fading

Good as at the very beginning or the very end of your career.

Java Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at IG Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company culture, relaxed environment, not too stressful.
I met very great and experienced people ready to share experiences and have the occasional beer.
I think it's a great place to have a first exposure to a "big" company, without the stress that usually comes to it: very recent technologies, good developing best-practices, agile environment.
A great place to do a Graduate Scheme and have that first step into Finance.

Also, IG would be a great place if you are looking for a technical position that won't stress you, 9am-6pm, fairly incremental work.

ConsAfter a while, you can learn something new only if you try really hard. The source of innovation comes more from the minds of bright employees that strive for improvements than from Management or the Company in general.

Also, it feels like IG is becoming more and more corporate by the day, and this transition is not being handled as smoothly as it could. I guess this will settle down, in time, but right now things change every day, not necessarily in coherent directions, and this leaves employes wondering what is the "bigger picture", if there is one.

Salaries not very competitive, for City standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize resources better, value the work of your younger employees (grads, juniors): it's a waste of time if after spending one or two years training them, they just leave for another place and you have to start all over.
Also, coordinate the communication between teams and departments better.

Learning experience but increasingly bureaucratic

Technical Team Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at IG Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome excellent tech people working here that you can really learn from.

Fast career development up to team lead due to very fast turnover of the better tech people.

Good offices. Good social scene. Work is genuinely fun.

ConsSenior management very out of touch with the jobs people are doing.

The release procedure belongs in about 1998. Takes until 8am quite regularly and you have to stay up all night to do it. Of course people make mistakes having been up all night and it frequently goes wrong. Releases are only monthly because the procedure is so painful. There are some efforts to fix this but bureaucracy slows everything down and it is still very far from best practice.

Not really embracing Agile. Eg, QA is a separate team, there aren't members of QA on a project team. Some QA is outsourced to India but for every pound it saves two are wasted on the inevitable misunderstanding that result from QA being 4,000 miles away and not sitting in any of the meetings. It is quite common to get into the office and spend your first two hours explaining why the bugs raised by India QA are based on misunderstandings of the solution rather than actual defects.

Business managers who oversee tech projects don't really make the decisions, they just try to sit inbetween do-ers and deciders. This makes for some very weird Chinese whisper type conversations. The company recognised this but their solution was insane - more project managers so that now there is an extra link in the Chinese whispers chain.

A lot of work is little more than vanity projects designed to make somebody senior feel special because he gets to sign some big cheques. These projects are always arranged so that reliable metrics on their effectiveness can not be gathered.

Projects started without knowing what the project is for. A purpose gets bolted on later.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must know who the under-performers are in senior management. Get rid and replace with competent people. Empower teams. Don't talk about "innovation" as some mysterious abstract quality - actually foster innovation.

Turnover in IT is a big problem. It is just masked because the worse tech people stay for a long time. You're losing the best people because they can easily move on.

Let the people making the software talk directly to the people who want it to be made instead of jumping through so many weird hoops.

Good company to work with.

Developer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at IG Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work and good package if you negotiate proper..

ConsIn India people are not aware of company. So please develop a better india website... So that people can join..

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aggressive..

7.5/10 - Work here but not for long. Stepping stone company for the young ambitious type.

I have been working at IG Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople work together and are very lovely to work with.
Advanced tech.
Medium to fair salary. IG want to say they pay like a bank but they don't.
Good parties and monthly free drinks.

ConsRedundancies made but some middle managers remain. Costing the company 250k a year in salary etc.per person. Possibly a further round of redundancies needed to me made to the middle management not just the long running staff who hold the company up.
Bonus pots seem like an old boys club, not linked to how well teams have done but restricted.
High rate of attrition. People leave because there is no career prospects.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out the end of year appraisal system. It's currently a joke.
There is also less than zero career development paths for staff in Dev, Marketing and IT Prod.
This is why people leave. Promote from within, even if it hurts.

Great environment for learning

I have been working at IG Group full-time

ProsLong sighted business strategy from management
Talented people to work with
God work life balance
Flat structure

ConsDifficult to progress career internally, but for the most part this isn't an issue for me. Given the flat structure there would be no change in roles or responsibilities
Out of hours support rota

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep i tup

Worked for IG Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IG Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for IG Group CEO Tim Howkins. All 23 reviews are posted anonymously by IG Group employees.