IKEA

IKEA Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall

Peter Agnefjall

Pros
  • Great benefits, Store Manager who really cares about everyone, fun place to work(in 55 reviews)

• Great team, good benefits, great work-life balance, opportunities for development & growth(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not always at the forfront for coworkers(in 18 reviews)

• coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours(in 18 reviews)

amazing company, with intellectual management

Sales Co-Worker (Current Employee) Perth, Western Australia

Prosflexible working hours
    heaps of opportunity to work in different department within IKEA
    pay rate is appreciable

Consyou need to be fit for physical lifting.
    excellent customer service skills are required

Advice to Senior Managementthere should be a department meeting every month to discuss the ongoing issues

Good vibe around friendly coworkers in the store

Customer Service Team Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

Prosfriendly coworkers and managers. good price for coworker's meal and discount
    lot of different departments to work for

Consstressful work with customer facing roles, relatively low salary and long working hours

Advice to Senior Managementreduce the politics

Great learning experience where the company is like a family.

Marketing (Former Employee) Perth, Western Australia

ProsThe training they provide is extensive and extremely well done. There is a huge variety of work and you have the ability to move around the company, for example from a sales position to a position in logistics. There are international opportunities and training. The people you work with are great. There's a reason that co-workers stay with the company a long time. The focus on families and kids is unmatched. Working on the marketing for a brand this fun was a great experience. Subsidised meals and drinks for those who are working. A cafeteria for staff, and a focus on making sure people take breaks.

ConsThere can be inefficiencies where people hire people they like rather than people who will create positive change. There can be inter-departmental competitiveness. As it is retail, the pay isn't great.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have an incredible brand. Your employees are your biggest advocates. Take care of them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Labour intensive

Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsNice people, pay and perks

ConsHard work, short breaks and few hours

Bureaucratic atmosphere, internal politics stops you to grow

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsGlobal Opportunities, Values and Culture is really strong but haven't seen getting implemented in IKEA Australia

Construe talent is leaving the company due to internal politics and bureaucracy. turnover rate is around 23%, still Senior Management doesn't want change their attitude.

Ikea Sydney

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsMost of the time easy going environment.

An opportunity to travel and work in other IKEA stores around the world.

Solid career opportunities provided that you are having your lunch with the right people in the coworker's cafeteria.

Cons*Coworkers restaurant is full of unpurchased food from customer's restaurant. Some of it not fresh and there is a possibility of getting a food poisoning or a diarrhea so better look carefully.

* The notion of a decentralized culture has a drawback in the form of panic and fear of someone capable being a part of the organizational workforce. The idea here is to hire only people without critical thinking who can be pushed around. So if you want to drastically improve your chances of being promoted or hired you have to appeal to the HR by showing poor reasoning skills, emotional insecurities, lack of confidence.

* The subsequent issue is those individuals end up being in Team leader/ Managerial positions, which in turn reinforces new waves of hiring of alike candidates, as they are unable to coordinate capable individuals.

* Another subsequent issue is it takes ages to get anything done, while I was there it was tempting to snitch to WorkCover (Australian OHS Authority) about the obvious safety problems and hazards. You have to threaten the relevant coworkers with legal responsibilities in order to get hazards removed/being dealt with.

*I am not sure if that a common Swedish practice but announcing long in advance that you are going to do an audit at a given store is defecting the purpose of doing an audit. The employees are openly being trained for an audit by their managers: what to say, how to say and so on. Eventually the auditors are ecstatic to conclude their visit with a report where they state that the culture is alive in a given store. The hypocrisy is at very high levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementNext time you do an audit make it a surprise.

Fun

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsEveryone is given a fair opportunity to develop at work and a fun place to work

ConsSlow decision making and outdated IT systems

A people-oriented company

Cashier (Former Employee) Melbourne

ProsFriendly working environment, no power distance, creative-ideas supported.

ConsMinimum wages offered, and limited career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate career development pathways.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsGreat place to work, good salary, great colleagues. Senior management actually cares about their employees. Expanding company that is secure and exciting

ConsJust the weekends and the long retail hours but that's normal everywhere. And only one store in Sydney so not enough career progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo real advice

Great place to work.

Sales Co-Worker (Current Employee) College Park, MD (US)

ProsVery accommodating of part-time work schedule so I can go to school. Great co-workers and a fun work environment. Co-worker cafeteria with three dollar meals. Company discount is excellent. The respect individuality, no restrictions on hair length, color, or style, visible piercings and tattoos are ok. Pay is better than average for retail.

ConsIt's a retail job so lots of standing and interesting customers. Three dollar lunch is not the highest quality but it's healthier than fast-food. Can't ask too much for three dollars.

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!