IOActive Reviews

Updated 3 September 2014
4.3

Jennifer Steffens

Business Development

I have been working at IOActive full-time

Pros

Outstanding company! Progressive!! Work Hard/Play Hard mentality! Well focused management! Strong goals, stronger ethics!! Everyone always will to help and assist if you ask. Strong availability for growth within the company as it is getting bigger!! Gartner recognition!!

Cons

Those that are not willing to ask for assistance or help do not get it. Looking for adults that are professionals and have the attitude to do what it takes to win and be the best.

Continue to hire what YOU perceive to be the best!

Loving it

Current Employee - Security Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So far I'm really enjoying my time here. I get to do interesting projects for interesting clients. Finally getting stamps in my passport going to fun places. The training has been great. Can't wait to try out new skills in the lab!

Cons

Consulting isn't always easy and IOActive is definitely fast-paced but I think that just makes it more fun.

I really enjoy the team meetings and trips. More of those please.

Fun and challenging

Current Employee - Security Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We get to do what we love every day. I love the new office and it's a great way for everyone to work together. Makes us feel much more like a team. The consulting gigs are always challenging and the research projects really push my skill set. Getting to travel and work with smart people is my dream job come true.

Cons

I wish I could spend more time with other pirates. But the team trips are great and always inspire me to try new things.

More great pirates please!

Best company in the world

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Buenos Aires (Argentina)
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Buenos Aires (Argentina)

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

IOActive is definitely a hard core company. The research makes it really fun and hard. Lots of fun travel and cool people to work with. And we get to be pirates. They bring us together a few times a year so you make a lot of friends, break cool technology and have fun. This company is different than any other in the world.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say about working at IOActive.

I don't know how they do it so just keep doing what you're doing!

Best place to work

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I left a job in IT to work in IOAcitve. Now I'm finally getting paid to do what I love. The gigs are fun and I get to travel around the world. Sometimes it is hard to go back home as now I have had a taste of other lives.

The company has given me the chance to meet people I knew online for years. Now I know them in person too!

Our captain is great. I don't think she ever sleeps!

Cons

I always want to do more and learn more but not enough hours in the day.

I share my research ideas often. Cesar always has great feedback and helps me create new projects.

Great experience

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I look forward to work every day. The team really rallies behind all the sales and marketing efforts. They never make me feel stupid even as I learn the technology. I love my clients and I enjoy all the new challenges they provide. Plus as a sales person getting to be involved in the project delivery makes it the best job ever!

Cons

Always juggling a lot of balls so never enough time in the day but it's all pressure I put on myself.

World domination. Bring it on!

Huge alcohol and party culture. Nepotism is strong with this company.

I worked at IOActive full-time

Pros

Engagements can be fun. You get to travel the world. Coworkers are fun to be around and very motivating. Being immersed in the industry is as career building as working in it.

Their legal department is spot on, always.

Cons

Huge alcohol and party culture. If you don't follow the "norm" in that regard, you will be treated differently and your opportunities will be less.

Operations team does little to nothing for most of the employees. It seems like they just don't know what they are doing and they don't particularly care about you unless you are in their "top 5 consultants" list.

I've seen many employees get the boot or get demoted in favor of friends of management. Often times, those friends don't have the relative experience necessary to fulfill those positions. There is a lack of respect between supervising directors and their charges.

There is no HR department, which makes it very hard to be heard when you do have a problem with another employee. Usually it's just brushed under the rug.

Reorganize your management. Hire individuals who know how to communicate. Let go of anyone who didn't pass a standard interview process.

Totally cool experience

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Chris Valasek teaching me to hack cars, Michael Milvich teaching me to reverse engineer, Mike Davis teaching me hardware hacking. Ruben Santamarta letting me help on his research. My mind is blown daily here.

Cons

I wish we could all be together more often but they arrange as many trips as possible. I look forward to them every time.

We're always reminded that we're a meritocracy. I share my ideas all the time.

Can't imagine working anywhere else

Current Employee - Principal Security Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Security Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Things are always interesting. I get to work on lots of projects with lots of different people. Jennifer is great inspiration and so easy to work with. She definitely understands us geeks. Cesar and Gunter make sure we have lots of research opportunity. The sales team makes sure to sell engagements we want to work on. Even on bad days, can't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

So many new things to try, so little time. I am tackling hardware hacking, control systems, client stuff! It's hard to know what to try first sometimes.

Keep doing what your doing. It just gets better every year.

Amazing

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can express your own ideas and manager your time.

Cons

Some projects are not assigned based on the skills of the people.