www.irs.gov

Updated 26 February 2015
Updated 26 February 2015
3.5

John Koskinen

Pros
  • It also offers a great work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo (in 5 reviews)

• Work can become redundant and its hard to move around once stuck in a job series and grade (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good benefits & work/life balance, but budget is an issue

Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Excellent government benefits, including paid leave plus separate sick leave. 5% matching on TSP, which IMO is better than most 401(k) plans. Flexible work schedules, including working from home. When the Service is hiring, there are lots of different jobs within the agency if you're looking for a change in duties.

Cons

Congress has slashed the budget, which has caused pay & hiring freezes, lowering morale. Promotion opprtunities are currently scarce. Quality of management varies by area & working unit.

A lot of changes that need to be made...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at IRS

Pros

The benefits and pay are good...

Cons

Management and its hard to advance due to the "buddy system".

I have been working at IRS

Pros

There's guaranteed raises every year.

Cons

The training is awful. Upper Management does not care.

Not worth it if you're wanting autonomy in the workplace

Current Employee - Accounts Management Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Accounts Management Customer Service Representative

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

health benefits and retirement

Cons

constant worry about budget constraints and how it will affect your future employment, negative public perception, constant bureaucratic problems, horrible management

For the Lazy

Former Employee - Economist in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Economist in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at IRS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Don't really need to show up. Don't have to do so much work. Pay is good for the hours worked. Talk to interesting people in the private sector. Automatic promotions based on seniority. Great work/life balance.

Cons

The other employees are pretty lazy, angry, mean. Most don't show up and don't do the work. Some are over-zealous and yell at other people all day. There's a total lack of incentive structure and lack of accountability. I could never tell who was in charge or what we were supposed to be doing. Meetings at times can be almost everyday and take up the entire day. Other times, people don't show up for a month.

The inability to fire workers leads the federal government, in particular the IRS, to retain the meanest and laziest employees whom are unable to find work elsewhere. Since there is no accountability or incentive, the only recourse for those hard working employees is to leave. This causes a perpetuation of negativity and ineptitude. A private sector CEO knows that no matter the ability of an employee, if the employee is perpetuation a negative culture, that employee must be fired or otherwise will harm the morale of other employees. As I had no recourse for the constant harassment by the other employees, and the increasingly depressing environment, I had to leave an otherwise interesting job. Management has "Town Hall" meetings to answer questions from employees, but ends up telling us about our complaints with no suggestions on how we can improve. They then congratulate themselves for being great leaders. Arrogance abound. If we have complaints to the "leadership" we will be punished and/or fired. We have no HR - we have a union which charges each employee outlandishly high fees, intimidates us to pay them, and ultimately provides no service. We are then left with no recourse for complaints or suggestions. We are promoted on seniority (the employees who must stay there a few years without quitting because they're unable to find a job elsewhere) and not merit. My complaints of harassment, sexual harassment, illegal forced overtime, violations of law, waste of funds, corruption, and incompetence were ignored. Their only interest is keeping me quiet. I felt guilty about leaving the government in such a mess, rather than doing my duty as an American citizen to improve it. There was nobody to listen and nobody to care. Nobody wants to rock the boat. They're just waiting for their retirement. Wasting your life watching TV and harassing coworkers until you can retire is a truly shameful way to live.

Review

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Andover, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Andover, MA (US)

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Benefits and security definitely plus the commute is fantastic. obviously I should have decent pay because I have been there over 17 years now. The credit union there has been a life saver and helped me out tremendously also!

Cons

Definitely that the job I feel is not structured or organized well. The way things are done makes it hard for employees to get to know their job in my department Accounts Management especially because there are too many different things we are expected to do with no adequate training. Also hard for employees to have a lot of morale because of Congress cutting budget for so many years now and with so many pay freezes recently.

To streamline and change some procedures in the job so employees feel like they know and can do their job better. This will give employees more confidence and satisfaction with their job and also give them more morale.

High stress, always on the move

Former Employee - Case Advocate
    Former Employee - Case Advocate

I worked at IRS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people and working with others outside the service to solve taxpayers problems. Online learning opportunities.

Cons

Lots of extra work all times of the year but not enough people or time to get it done still expected same quality of work to get done in same amount of time

irs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at IRS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great schedule, flexible shifts, great opportunity to move about company

Cons

need to interview more, some positions are hired on skill only.

allow consecutive days on time off. Hire from the outside more.

Good place to work

Former Employee - IRS Agent in Providence, RI (US)
    Former Employee - IRS Agent in Providence, RI (US)

I worked at IRS (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked for 30 years as a revenue agent. People I worked with were professional, knowledgeable and dedicated. Training use to be top notch. Basically received a masters in taxation when initially hired. Work life was great. Woman receive equal pay and do to EEOC laws minorities and woman have a better than average chance of promotions.

Cons

Because of budget cuts, training is now virtually nonexistent, promotions are limited and supplies are tough to come by.

Managers aren't alway the best. Although, I was fortunate to have good ones during my career.

IRS Photos

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (Photo thanks to Flickr user cliff1066tm, available under by 2.0)
IRS Building (Photo thanks to Flickr user davidboeke, available under by-sa v2.0)
Grand Architecture - This grand facade is the IRS Building on 12th Street NW! (Photo thanks to Flickr user SP8254, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo