Illinois State

Updated 12 September 2014
Updated 12 September 2014
4.1

Timothy Flanagan

Pros
  • The work/life balance is really commendable at Illinois State University (in 4 reviews)

• Great work family balance, great benefits, very nice people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage pay and time management (in 3 reviews)

• winters are so cold and summers are freaking hot and humid (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

It is what it is

Current Employee - Academic Advisor  in  Normal, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Normal, IL (US)

I have been working at Illinois State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Solid and stable. You get to work with great students. Nice but not spectacular benefits.

Cons

Definately a two-tier work place: faculty ar treated preferentially over other staff. Little to no opportunities to advance. This is a dead-end keep this job until you retire type job.

Very limited opportunity within Administrative Technologies

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Normal, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Normal, IL (US)

I have been working at Illinois State full-time

Pros

The medical/dental/vacation benefits are the best pros for ISU. If you are hired as a civil service, there are also retirement options that may be beneficial (assuming the state stays solvent, which is not a certainty). Its also a wonderful diverse tolerant community. Working with students is always dynamic and exciting. ISU is also in good fiscal health compared to other universities.

Cons

Within Administrative Technologies there are a number of issues: 1. The movement away from hiring people with a civil service classification (which makes it difficult to get laid off) to one/two year contracts. You take much less pay working for ISU, the typical tradeoff use to be job security, that is now changing. 2. Lack of clear upward advancement -- Many people keep the same job duties forever. There is almost no potential for advancement. Hand in hand with this is no way to move up in salary. If you are taking a job at ISU, make sure your starting salary meets your future needs, you will not have anything more than a 1% to 3% raise, depending on the health of the university. 3. Enterprise mentality - In the last two years, there has been a movement towards treating people as they were working within a large enterprise. This has meant mandatory overtime for large numbers of IT staff. So be prepared to be asked to work evenings, weekends, and have blackout/brownout periods which limit your ability to take time off. 4. Poor morale - As for Fall of 2014, morale is poor within Administrative Technologies and most competent people that are not tied into the civil service retirement are leaving. Administrative Technologies has had about 40% turnover in the last 2 years. 5. Politics - Every job has office politics. The issue with ISU is that there is no bottom line, so it is very easy to make decisions based on friendships, instead of ability

Need to take care of your workers. Clear advancement would be a first and offer raises when people acquire new skills and responsibilities.

Great professional development

Current Employee - Admissions  in  Normal, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions in Normal, IL (US)

I have been working at Illinois State as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Leadership, professional development, networking, public speaking, organization

Cons

advancement opportunities, salary rate, long work hours for low pay

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent

Former Employee - GTA
    Former Employee - GTA

I worked at Illinois State for more than a year

Pros

Department staff is excellent. Professors I worked with were excellent and accommodating. Gave me opportunities to grow as both an educator and in my academic research.

Cons

None. Just be prepared for occasional long nights of grading :)

ETL Developer

Current Employee - ETL Developer  in  Normal, IL (US)
    Current Employee - ETL Developer in Normal, IL (US)

I have been working at Illinois State part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work environment but slow growth rate. Profile growth is slow.

Cons

Lack of experience, changing employees

Very Poor Leadership

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Normal, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Normal, IL (US)

I have been working at Illinois State full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The College of Education has a wonderful mission to educate teachers to teach all children in Illinois. The College has historically been nationally recognized and has received many accolades.

Cons

There has been an overall change of leadership in the College since 2012. The current leadership team is very hierarchical and punitive. They meet behind closed doors, do not allow for substantive input from faculty or staff and generally treat employees extremely poorly, with little concern for their personal welfare. The new leaders in the College are widely perceived as micromanagers more concerned with controlling employees than with responding to the new challenges of teacher education.

Unfortunately the culture has become negative and coercive. There needs to be an entirely new paradigm and management needs to allow for input. Current leaders are practicing the opposite of the College slogan "Realizing the Democratic Ideal."

Student Worker TSC

Current Employee - Student IT Technician  in  Normal, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Student IT Technician in Normal, IL (US)

I have been working at Illinois State full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexiblity with hours, duties and other tasks

Cons

Have to clock out to take a break. Labor laws violated and not fulfilled on behalf of their employees.

Do it for your staff.

Wonderful experience with great people!

Current Employee - Facility Manager  in  Normal, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Facility Manager in Normal, IL (US)

I have been working at Illinois State part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work atmosphere is both fun as well as productive
    Everyone, including the higher professional staff, are friendly and willing to offer help in any capacity

Cons

Not a very large amount of opportunities to move up within the department

As a recent graduate of this university, I would say I enjoyed my time there.

I have been working at Illinois State

Pros

The academic buildings on campus are close to one another and the quad is beautiful at all times of the year.

Cons

There aren't very many career opportunities with what I studied for (psychology & speech-language pathology research).

I worked at Illinois State part-time

Pros

- you get a stipend and your tuition paid for.
    - you keep learning while working
    - you work with friendly people and the environment is nice.

Cons

I do not see any cons.

Worked for Illinois State? Contribute to the Community!