Illumina

Illumina Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley

Jay Flatley

Pros:
  • "Illumina is a fast-paced and exciting place to work with bleeding edge product development"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Some amazingly dedicated and smart people work at illumina"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "The worst middle management I've ever had in my professional career, the work life balance"
    in 17 reviews
  • "No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fast paced and making a difference

Scientist I (Current Employee)
La Jolla, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people I work with are amazing. Incredibly supportive and brilliant. One of the reasons I enjoy my work so much is because I really enjoy the group of people I interact with on a daily basis.

ConsMany of the projects appear very under resourced. It appears that it is very hard to advance within the company. Illumina hires outsiders instead of promoting within.

Ever-changing constantly, some cool people, thriving, but needs a little more organization & stability.

Planning (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood thing they have money to keep expanding. The VP is pretty cool. Endless Summer Concerts with free lunches on some Fridays are nice.

ConsThey seem to struggle a bit with stabilizing processes. Why not hire the experts who really know how to set up infrastructure? Maybe there are experts, but people keep finding bugs. Can't seem to get things done right and some of the people who seem great are really not that great. They cling onto job security, are passive-aggressive, but management doesn't even know or let's it continue.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange for the better is a good thing, but things change so often that it's hard to keep up at times. Also, don't just believe that the core team is that great. Sometimes they are the problem. If someone needs people skills, just push them to take management class or ding them on their performance review.

Great Company

Scientist I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

ProsPioneered DNA sequencing and SNP detection related research.

ConsSmall size company and still growing

Project Managers beware

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Illumina full-time

ProsGrowing industry, hiring loads of employees, fabulous building and campus with cafeteria and gym, great benefits

ConsPoor office politics with lots of gossip, very cliquish environment among employees who have worked there for years and do not accept new employees or new management processes. The Marketing dept actively rejects project management processes. I keep hearing the phrase "that's not how we do things here." It's a shame such an innovative company is so short-sided to corporate management processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't promote emotionally unstable people to management.

Great work environment

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

ProsVery smart people to work with.
Great campus.
Products have impact on human health.

ConsVery tight deadline,
Lot is expected and not enough resources ( need more employees) to accomplish work.
Too many projects with same deadlines.

Advice to Senior Managementreduce the number of projects the company is working on

A good place to work

I have been working at Illumina full-time

ProsStrong sense of values and grasp of what it will take to keep growing. They have their eye on the prize for sure.

ConsConfused culture. It's a young company entering its teenage years. They need to identify what it will take to really retain their talent...especially as they grow.

Technician III

Data Technician III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

ProsVery great campus, with all amenities, great people. The work done here is remarkable. This place has all the room to move up into business. It will always be in business. Great staff of people and customers are very trained along with fabulous Customer Service.

ConsLong wait for passwords, networks when your new employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say more "Company" days where the relaxation of coming in to work is felt on certain days. More company activity's to create bonding between departments along with departmental development.

At the cutting edge of DNA innovation; however, be careful not to trade quality for velocity

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

ProsVery responsive to employee surveys regarding concerns. Provides ongoing training & education. Promotes a fun, open and high expectation working environment for all employees. Numerous amenities offered to employees at San Diego headquarters.

ConsGrowing quickly, but does not have correct infrastructure and procedures to support that yet. Should focus more on Information Technology capability gaps in order to realize full potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive for innovation must also be balanced with maturity of that rapidly advancing technology.

Illumina treated me fairly, and in addition to learning a lot, I had many positive experiences with my colleagues.

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIllumina is the leader in its industry, and is keenly aware of, and responds to, competitive threats.

ConsUnless you are in the San Diego office, you are effectively a "second-class citizen". Communication to other offices is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't pay lip-service to developing the management skills of employees who are managers - actually do it, and take it very, very seriously. It would dramatically reduce turnover. While turnover is not great, it could be much lower.

G

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of smart people and management is very accessible. Campus is very nice. Work is fast paced.

ConsToo many meetings means you need to work long hours to get your work done (unless you are management because then meetings are work for you)

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!

Illumina Videos

Illumina – Why Work for Us?

What we do at Illumina may seem complicated, but our vision is simple. "To advance human health by unlocking the power of the genome." Innovative Technologies: At Illumina, our goal is to apply innovative sequencing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Illumina reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Illumina CEO Jay Flatley. All 116 reviews are posted anonymously by Illumina employees.