Illumina

Illumina Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley

Jay Flatley

Pros:
  • "Illumina is a fast-paced and exciting place to work with bleeding edge product development"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Some amazingly dedicated and smart people work at illumina"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "The worst middle management I've ever had in my professional career, the work life balance"
    in 17 reviews
  • "No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Cutting edge and exciting!!!

I have been working at Illumina

Pros-Latest, greatest and coolest technology.
-Flat level hierarchy – your voice is heard.
-Great perks and facilities.

ConsGrowing pains and lack of structure as the company grows.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep allowing your employees to speak up and have their voice heard to grow and strengthen the company.

Quality of the products are dropping

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people and fun work

ConsIt has changed from a start up to bean counter central

Advice to Senior Managementreduce the number of projects. Effort is too scattered

Illumina Inc. Review

Senior Manager, Diagnostics Instrument Manufacturing (Former Employee)

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCutting edge technology, motivated and hard working employees, great people on a personal level

ConsSame management team since early in the companys growth. Transitioning from start-up to small company to medium sized company with same management team has been challenging since they started as a Life Sciences company and are currently transitioning to add diagnostics and medical devices which are regulated by the FDA. Management often "doesn't know what they don't know". Without former experience with the FDA, sometimes management has overreacted to minor observations and not reacted enough to the need for more robust quality system needs. They are getting better but it has been more painful than it should have been.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who have former experience with the FDA and other regulatory agencies. It may not seem needed initially, but will pay itself back ten fold if 483 observations are minimized and product recalls are prevented.

Excellent learning experience.

Finance/Accounting (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat atmosphere, very relaxed and transparent. The company has a lot of potential and has grown exponentially within the past few years.

ConsSince the company is still growing, there are processes and procedures continuously changing.

Good opportunity to make your mark

Senior Web Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIllumina has a very entrepreneurial spirit. The company has the resources to support it's employees and does so. Work environment is great. You will work some of the smartest people around.

ConsIllumina is having some growing pains. The company is eager to transform into a large company, but at what cost. Not a ton of opportunity for career enhancing moves.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek out and encourage the managers/directors that are finding the right balance of process infrastructure and aggressive, entrepreneurial spirit.

If the company had any respect for my profession, I'd love to work there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Illumina as a contractor for less than a year

ProsInteresting technology, great business "space" to be in
Lots of smart people as worker-bees
Awesome campus
good place for someone who in the scientific part of the biz

ConsMy comments mirror many of the others....this company spends its money on the people who are developing the technology - the chemical, genetic end of the house is difficult to staff, and Illumiina works hard to find and attract talent to that area
BUT
the rest of the business suffers as a result. Business process infrastructure and systems are old; documentation is bloated, poorly managed, delivery of information is neither nimble nor scaleable. Current systems - like SalesForce - are so poorly implemented their use is avoided. Software is old and cobbled. There is little project managment (ya know, a schedule, critical path, risks, a goal..?), and I was a little amazed at the arrogance of some people who insist on ignoring best practices..

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place needs a PMO office yesterday. Perhaps its acquistion by Roche will help push it into reality. My other advice would be to reconsider the grandfathered position bestowed on staff. The place uses a lot of contract workers. Good contract talent seems to be sacraficed and less productive staff remains. Bad for long-term health of the org. (See: teacher's union; tenure).

High tech, high speed

Senior Quality Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Illumina as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIllumina is doing very interesting leading edge work in gene sequencing. Some very smart people here, doing very cool work. Pace is very fast, change is rapid in many areas. The folks I worked with were looking for better ways to do things. On-site cafeteria is pretty good too.

ConsThere are some political battles and defense of territories. It was clear some struggles had been going on for quite some time and had become entrenched. It's a big company, with all the big company overhead and the burden of hide-bound procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for ways to get people's eyes on the task at hand, rather than on the political territory. Not all teams are on the same page regarding changes to methodology... better buy-in and more clarity about "here's where we're going" would help.

great place to learn lots quickly

Software Developer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros- developers are used to make new software, not maintenance of existing systems
- lots of interesting projects in the bio-tech industry
- fun place to work.
- get to work with the latest software technologies

Cons- not a software company. It's a hardware company first.
- they don't have enough testers, or designers

Advice to Senior Management- hire more testers and designers

One of the best companies to work for in San Diego

Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBleeding edge technology in a field that has huge growth potential and the company is the market leader. Work on something that will actually impact human health and understanding.

The senior management has a proven record of guiding the company through many strategic decisions and is still positioned really well in the market.

Campus is amazing, possibly the best in San Diego (beach volleyball, basketball, soccer, gym, amphitheater, koi ponds, cafe, Starbucks) and is being expanded with even more amenities.

Software is becoming a key part of the overall strategy and there are tons of interesting projects and opportunities. Great place for talented software engineers. Lots of interesting "Big Data" problems that don't involve 140 character messages...

ConsAs most companies that have such extreme growth there are plenty of growing pains, but there are also plenty of opportunities. Departments that are cost centers don't get enough support, but this is not unusual.

Layoff late in 2011 probably sparked more negative reviews than the company deserves. I've personally never been approached for weekend work, again this could be different in other departments, but this is 1600+ person company.

Internal systems are sub-par and under-staffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-invest in your employees and internal systems for the next 10 years...

Disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFast pace and cutting edge technology

ConsLack of teamwork, poor management leadership and guidance, does not promote work-life balance, and a CYA environment

Advice to Senior ManagementEither develop or hire personnel in middle management

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!

Illumina Videos

Illumina – Why Work for Us?

What we do at Illumina may seem complicated, but our vision is simple. "To advance human health by unlocking the power of the genome." Innovative Technologies: At Illumina, our goal is to apply innovative sequencing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Illumina reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Illumina CEO Jay Flatley. All 115 reviews are posted anonymously by Illumina employees.