Ingersoll-Rand Reviews

Updated 20 August 2014

3.2

Ingersoll-Rand Chairman, President, and CEO Michael W. Lamach
Michael W. Lamach

Pros
  • As a huge company the benefits are decent and there is a fair work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• good benefits and the time off policies are pretty fair (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult, depending on the assignment (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management does not have a clear vision for the future, earning distrust from the employees (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, Good product

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand full-time

Pros

People are great, work hard-play hard mentality

Cons

Long hours for entry levels but that is to be expected anywhere

Solid leadership and diverse set of businesses. Struggles to figure out how to grow.

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand

Pros

Career opportunities for those that are willing to be stretched.

Cons

IR is looking for the perfect organization to unleash growth. Growth starts with outside-in mindset...IR needs to lead with the customer.

Delayer!

Very Corporate, but Fair

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Hastings, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Hastings, NE (US)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive Compensation
    Interesting Work
    Good People at the Local Facilities

Cons

Inept Middle Management
    Glacially Slow at Change
    Hire and Promote for Wrong Reasons

Learn to hold on to top talent
    Stop working the plow horses so much

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Product Development churn

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Bloomington, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bloomington, MN (US)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ability to see work that ends up in finished product. Company compensation was fair for industry.

Cons

Endless cycles of product development. Lots of globalized vendors, heavy night hours were frequent.

Value-oriented company adverse to risk

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, health oriented, invested in its people, progressive

Cons

Not welcoming to outside points of view and resistant to challenges that could make it a better company. Risk-averse.

Look to leverage the strengths of your internal workforce, especially newcomers who come with fresh ideas and perspectives. You spend millions of dollars on consultants when you have the capabilities in-house that you can leverage and achieve better results.

OK place to gain experience, but no career path whatsoever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  La Crosse, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI (US)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great product, leader in the industry. Not much else to be honest.

Cons

Training is awful; people are training you who haven't done the job themselves in years. Company doesn't value lower level employees, even middle-level management is not respected. The top of IR runs everything, albeit not very effectively - rate of retention should be given more attention. There is no guidance given for how you can work your way up - no clear guidelines for what you have to do to get a promotion, raises are ambiguous, performance reviews are arbitrary. Work-life balance is fine, but good luck ever moving up in this company. It's all about the cronies at the top and who they're connected with.

Value the employee contribution from ALL LEVELS of the company. Better tactics for promoting from within besides who knows who.

Great opportunities for growth!!

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand full-time

Pros

Great opportunities for career growth throughout the company. The company cares a great deal about their employees and long term growth and retention. Health conscience culture.

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult, depending on the assignment. IT organization could use improvement, as tools offered to do business are not best in class.

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They treat their employees very well and will work with you if you need to relocate. They try to hold on to their employees. They have engagement surveys and employee appreciation days. Also, the benefits are great. You get a health savings account that they put money into if you perform certain tasks, The 401k plan is also really great and competitive.

Cons

They do not reprimand people who don't work as hard as others. One person in my department is constantly under where he/she should be, but nothing happens. She literally does less than half the work of most people on the team. I'd like to see them crack down more on people who aren't pulling their weight.

Have the metrics off your employees directly effect their salary. I have a feeling we all get pretty much around the same percentage for the annual raise. People who under-perform should not get raises. People who over preform and keep their numbers up should get a higher raise. You're sending a message where people think it's okay to slack off and let everyone else do the work because they don't have any consequences. The people who work hard realize this and feel they can't do anything about it because it will sound like complaining. It's a slippery slope, but nothing is done about it because our "team" metrics look good.

Middle Management Dysfunction in Memphis

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has wonderful benefits and opportunities. The VP's are focused on improving systems and really care about the company's future. The tone at the top is positive.

Cons

Middle management has free reign over their employees; Micromanaging, incompetent, and ineffective. It's the luck of the draw as to whether you are supervised by an effective and qualified one. Upper management is remote and has little interaction with employees. Complaints to HR are ignored.

Vet middle managers more effectively. Interact with subordinates and gauge their perspective on whether they are being utilized effectively. Supervise middle managers on qualifications and take warnings to HR more seriously when complaints are voiced.

Great learning experience, but I'm glad I'm no longer there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Trenton, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ (US)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at Trane/ Ingersoll Rand was a great learning experience. I learned a lot during my time there, and I'm grateful for that. I had a wonderful relationship with just everyone that worked there. Most of the people were so good to work with.

Cons

The other 5% were not so good. Kind of ruined the experience for me dealing with some of the management as well as some of the hourly associates. That is what ultimately made me to decide to leave. I still miss a great deal of people there... But I'm glad I'm gone.

Look within your organization to promote. Truly appreciate your employees.

Worked for Ingersoll-Rand? Contribute to the Community!