Insight

Insight Reviews

Updated Apr 06, 2014

Insight President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth T. Lamneck

Kenneth T. Lamneck

Pros:
  • "Good place to start for entry-level IT sales"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Good people for the most part, challenging work"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Mid level management has the ability to make/break your role and upper management fully allows this"
    in 9 reviews
  • "There is such a lack of discipline from sales reps who do not care very much"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lack of teamwork.

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork location and employee teaming.

ConsLeadership decisions without consultation team input.

Advice to Senior ManagementGather knowledgable input and options before choosing a direction,

Policies? What policies?

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)
Hillsboro, OR (US)

I have been working at Insight as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood pay, pleasant contacts, hands off approach.

ConsNo support, access to employee materials, email etc. No support for Mac VPN, no access to email for 6 months... didn't miss a thing.

Experience is up and down at first job is hyped up to be a great opportunity with huge money potential untrue

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsThey are a fortune 500 co with good benefits

ConsThey do not invest in their employees and have horrible turn rate

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time with employees to help build them

Value in this VAR

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than a year

ProsCut your teeth. Build a solid knowledge base. Practical experiences.

ConsWorst compensation package in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoes excessive dialing everyday nonstop translate into quality research/relationship building. No it does not. Let me leverage a personal relationship to make a sale. Trapped literally in the strangest 125 TAM accounts. Growth; stagnant. Nice.

Should have listened to warnings

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than a year

ProsTelecommute options, teammates. The "minions" try to do the best job they can and actually care.

ConsHorrendously understaffed, poor middle to upped management. They will remain understaffed until they absolutely have to hire more. They will require whomever is left to perform their duties as well as everyone else who has quit. The attitude seems to be to run people into the ground until they quit and then do the same to the next in line.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the good ole' buys group that's developed from executives bringing in their friends from former employers. It will be the downfall of the company. Allowing these people to basically BS their way to get bonuses or whatever is ridiculous. You are a publicly traded company yet if the shareholders knew how poorly things were running and maintained they would run away from the company.

Constant change, no consistency in vision, concerning future overall

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSpecific roles have work from home options.

They are big on easy wins such as recurring 'take your dog to work day' and 'wear your favorite sports jersey' which helps build morale & enthusiasm for some who care about pets or sports.

ConsCompany vision and path is consistently changing, yet they never give anything enough time to work/not work. It's similar to test driving a car, only with a public company. The change results in confusion, no career opportunities (lots of promise, nothing ever on paper), inconsistent salary (especially in commission based roles), and a very strong lack of morale.

Mid level management has the ability to make/break your role and upper management fully allows this. So depending on your team, you may encounter great flexibility and trust or be micro managed.

Benefits continue to become worse. They focus on things such as a health center within your office yet medical coverage is poor and has been a deciding factor in some employees leaving the company.

Work/life balance is non-existent. You are expected to work nights/weekends on a regular basis. Everyone wants to be a team player and step up when needed, but when this becomes the expectation from management you quickly burn out. Also, you aren't ever recognized or rewarded for these efforts and are forced to prioritize yourself, often at the cost of your reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease focus on the people. Don't just talk, but actually follow through and listen. Yes, we all realize numbers are extremely important but without good people you don't stand a chance at making them. Don't treat people as cogs in a wheel, because they will go elsewhere with a sour taste in their mouth & do well with a competitor. This creates a downward spiral in a business where word of mouth is key.

Good Start - Uncertain Future ?

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of Free Training and company is willing to pay for training travel expense. Training is @ manufacturer's cost.

ConsUncertainty - not sure what will happened to me after a year even after 6 months. They aren't the best as far as base salary/compensation compared to the other VARs

Advice to Senior ManagementReport to the right manager - just don't put bodies to any manager. Manager should look at the employee welfare than just the bottom line - billable hours

Insight

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood company, good people, diversified staff and core management.

ConsLacking in communication between sales and serivces

Advice to Senior Managementbring sales and serivce together

awful

Teir 2-Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee)
Bloomingdale, IL (US)

I worked at Insight full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people i was in the trenches with were the reason i stayed so long

Consevery management post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties. work is accomplished by lower level employees. Lower level employees must manage upwards. lower level employees that outshine superiors are frowned upon in his establishment.

I had six bosses. Six. So that means that when I made a mistake, I had six different people coming by to tell me about it. When I started i was gung ho about using my talent and experience to help turn around a struggling department. By the time "my position was eliminated" my only real motivation was not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired. In the end of course I was let go by people who had no idea what the words managed services mean after the company lost 3 major accounts.

Thankfully, the client I served as a team lead for and who knew my work better then my employer, had not renewed their contract and offered me a position the minute i was available. Insight is a short sighted company with a HUGE turnover rate in management. Good place holder job but dont stay long

Company in Turmoil

Pre Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood mix of product to support any size customer

ConsMicro managers covering their own asses.
Almost no leaders.

Worked for Insight? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Insight reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Insight CEO Kenneth T. Lamneck. All 147 reviews are posted anonymously by Insight employees.