Insight

Updated 19 December 2014
2.9

Insight President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth T. Lamneck
Kenneth T. Lamneck

Pros
  • Good people for the most part, challenging work (in 12 reviews)

• Good place to start for entry-level IT sales (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • terrible hostile work environment, terrible home work balance terrible upper management team (in 10 reviews)

• Work/life balance is non-existent (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

No career path, can't go anywhere

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Looks good on resume, teammates are so unqualified it is easy to look good

Cons

There is no way to move up in the company and no type of career path, pay is below average and if anyone gets a yearly raise it might be $.10 an hour, there is absolutely no training and all the management is completely unaware of what they are doing and are only in their jobs because they have friends in upper management. Benefits are ridiculously expensive and it's literally joked about in staff meetings how underpaid the office workers are.

Start hiring people that are actually qualified for their jobs, managers are literally hiring people that they know are unqualified and about to retire so that they know their jobs aren't at risk because they should clearly not have the position they do

Long time sales rep

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CEO has the long term vision to lead this company. Sales people are empowered to grow business the way they see fit. Insight is willing to try new things, attack new verticals, etc. A really good place to work.

Cons

Leadership can roll out new ideas without thinking them through. Many times initiatives fizzle. Lately decisions are guided by pipeline and forecast which results in an overall short-sidedness.

Get out of the spreadsheets and focus on the "sales" part of sales management.

Great place - not enough pay

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours are the best - M-F and 8-5 with all holidays off and paid. Laid back work space, friendly people, lots of contests to win prizes and cash! On site Healthcare office with only 10.00 copay. Built in cafeteria.

Cons

The compensation plan stinks. Once you lose your first year of guarantee, you lose 10k of income. It is practically impossible to make that up in your commission sales - especially in year 2.

Get quotas to you on time and increase compensation.

No vision or long term focus

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong product offering--combination of hardware, software, and services and enterprise expertise are hard to beat.

Cons

Leadership is not focused and doesn't have long term vision of success. Lack of empowerment. Values on paper are good but not embodied in the company.

Have a long term vision of success and stick to it. Empower teammates, improve pay and benefits to attract higher caliber talent.

Would recommend

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, on-site clinic, several free food days and give-a-ways. Everyone is friendly, hours are flexible.

Cons

Don't expect to be promoted and the salaries are way below standard.

Once money is out of the way, people will work harder. Also to be more involved with their employees. The mailroom knew my name and my director called me a past employee's name for a year before I left.

Great company and great people!

Former Employee - Partner Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Partner Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clear company values and communication about direction the company is taking. Great culture. Lots of free giveaways from vendors and sales contests. Sales and recognition are great.

Cons

As with any large company you can sometimes get lost in the mix. Such a large company it was hard to make changes to processes. Training for some positions was little to none.

Develop a clear path of advancement for those interested. Promote from within. Have management take training on how to develop their people.

Good industry and leadership with many opportunities for training and working in different positions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Growing industry (IT), opportunity to develop new technical and leadership skills, Fortune 500 global company with a 25-year track record, environment is constantly changing/evolving which creates opportunities to work in different positions (you don't have to wait for someone to leave in order to have the opportunity to do something new)

Cons

Benefits are competitive for what the average large company is offering today; however, if you don't have $2500 in your savings account to cover your medical expenses, don't work here. It's a high deductible plan with a healthcare savings account. The entry-level sales positions are extremely challenging.

Figure out a way to grow revenue and increase market share. It's hard to create a winning culture when we are constantly in cost cutting mode and unable to achieve planned results.

Anonymous Former Employee for 10+ Years

Former Employee - Anonymous in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Executives have moved from the "good ole boy" mentality to the current century. They offer a TON of training, but you do have to go to HR and ask for it if you want anything beyond "new hire" training.

Cons

Salaries and benefits WAY below industry standards. Favoritism is rampant - I know of someone who got the largest annual raise on the team because he was buying a house and "needed the money more than anybody else did." Executives PRETEND to care about their employees, but all they really care about is the bottom line. They set nearly impossible goals, offering incredible rewards - and when the employees make those goals...they hire a bunch of new execs who don't honor the promises put in place by the former ones. Morale is the worst I have ever seen at any company I have ever worked at. After 10+ years of great performance reviews and not a single negative one, I got a new boss who didn't like me for no reason in particular. He told me his second week there that if I didn't quit I would be fired. When I asked him why, he named a few people who told him they didn't like me personally - absolutely nothing to do with my job performance. I was fired because of gossip.

Employees are your greatest asset, not a bunch of warm bodies (as one former Insight Executive called us.) Employee turnover costs a LOT more than keeping the ones you have happy.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Partner Sales Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Partner Sales Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of paid for lunches and bonuses

Cons

They are sometimes going to bars that aren't as family oriented.

N/A

Client Services Advocate.

Former Employee - Client Services Advocate in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Client Services Advocate in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight (more than an year)

Pros

It's a good company to work for.

Cons

not very good benefits. They will only pay for a single person's benefits but if you have a family they will make you pay full price

Too much micromanagement.