Insight Reviews

Updated 12 September 2014
2.8

Insight President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth T. Lamneck
Kenneth T. Lamneck

Pros
  • Good people for the most part, challenging work (in 10 reviews)

• Good place to start for entry-level IT sales (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • terrible hostile work environment, terrible home work balance terrible upper management team (in 10 reviews)

• There is such a lack of discipline from sales reps who do not care very much (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor Management

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training around sales and that is the ONLY positive thing.

Cons

Poor management with no direction what so ever. They keep handing out promo leaflets to call from. One day you are calling to sell HP printer and tell the client why HP is better than other, the next day you have to call the same client again and sell Epson or Dell and advise that why it is better than others.

They have hard time paying commission to their sales guys. You dont get any support from management. Within the last 2 years (2012-2014), more than 100 people have resigned due to poor management from their UK office. They micro-manage and do not let you sell your own way. You know your clients better, but they treat you like a kid.

If you pickup recent data about the growth of tech companies, Insight graph is going down. Its a shame to see a good company being mis-managed. They have let very good people go and have changed their way of operation from solution selling to call centre.

You need to treat adults like adults. You can guide them, but do not push them towards what your vendors want to sell

Boastful, cocky, uptight, and uncaring

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun environment. Insight likes to have fun at work. They do pretty creative fun (free) activities to keep you motivated to sell, sell, sell.

Cons

Shaky leadership, bad management, horrible HR policies. Horrible medical benefits.

Give better direction for your employees. Do not put your employees in debt for medical bills. You should be able to provide better insurance for your employees since you're a Fortune 500 company and make more that $5b in revenues per year. Work with your employees so you won't have such a high turnover. Senior management was shifted around before I left. I really think this company should utilize some type of internal affairs department to ensure their employees are being treated fairly. Implement policies that would encourage your employees to stay motivated to work hard for your company. Do not penalize people because they do not fit the mold or perfect in every way. You're only as good as the investment that you put into your talent and your clients can see that and there is no sales script that can disguise that.

This company only had a high deductible plan with a $3,000 deductible plan at the time I was employed there. Lets be honest if your start your employee with $30-$40K starting salary how do you expect to pay an insurance premium and $3000 before it pays anything? Also if you say that benefits start in 30 days please stop using that misleading statement because it could get you in trouble. For example, we waited 30 days to select benefits, pay premiums for another 30 days, then was able to utilize the benefits after another 30 days. People, that's waiting 90 days for benefits.

I believe there is opportunity to move around and acquire other skills to move in other areas of the company. There are certification programs available to you while you are there. Please take advantage of this training as I believe this is very helpful to your sales career there.

Insight does a fair amount of fun activities that will keep you energized for the short term.

Please make your sales managers support your new hires better rather than sell or drown tactics. I cannot tell you how many times I had to depend on a veteran sales rep on critical issues for my clients.

However I like the CEO of the company and I believe he will take this company in the right direction over the long haul.

Good Organization

I worked at Insight

Pros

Plenty of opportunity. Large projects. There are many locations to work at. The benefits are decent and seem to comparable to most average places.

Cons

Too many different directions. Salary is below average. Employer matching is very low (1%). Many projects tend to require extra work after hours

Invest in more career development.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Field Sales Representative

Former Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Insight full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, excellent compensation plan, superb infrastructure. Terrific perks and good management. Definitely a place where you would want to work.

Cons

Resistant to change even if change is in their best interest. They are a VAR and VAR they will stay ... at the mercy of their vendors. They "say" they do services but it is limited to break/fix. Missing the boat on powerful revenue generating practice.

Need to embrace services as part of their growth strategy. Because Insight is so tied to their vendors, Insight is at their mercy. Management should consider branching out in terms of service offerings so they have better margins and better control over their destiny.

Don't do it!

Former Employee - Secretary  in  Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Secretary in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sick time was not regulated -- Could take a good bit off if needed. Was located in a beautiful city and great shopping nearby.

Cons

Everything -- No growth or promotion opportunities. Depressing culture and workplace; Benefits were not good.

Strive to put employees first.

Great people. Horrible management

I worked at Insight

Pros

Great people to work with. Management says all the right things.

Cons

Management is so clueless and disconnected as to what is happening in the company and what needs to be done. They keep talking about fixing it to prevent the turnover.

Stop taking away benefits. Start listening to your employees.

Runaway

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Insight full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, some good people work there. Good training too.

Cons

Most has already been said. Runaway. we started the training and after a couple of weeks, they started firing people. all they tell you is you are not a fit for the company, please take your belonging.
    you ve been warned.
    I would stay away from the company.

Horrible

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Insight full-time for more than a year

Pros

no over time, motivation to look for other jobs

Cons

High pressure, no compensation, lack of leadership,

Run!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility, but not in all areas

Cons

So many, don't know where to start. Teammates are overworked and mentally beaten up with little to no appreciation or return. Merit increases are a joke!

Look at Director/VP level mgmt they manage by fear. To much politics, it's all about who you know, not what you know or the effort put in. You are losing all of your knowledgeable employees due to being pushed out by the Buddy system.

Constant change is the norm.

Current Employee - Inside Sales  in  Plano, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots to learn and keep you busy.

Cons

Structure - need more and less; depends on the area.

Continue listening and implementing changes.

Worked for Insight? Contribute to the Community!