InterDigital

Add Photos

InterDigital President, CEO, and Director William J. Merritt

William J. Merritt

Patent or Perish!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay and bonuses well above industry average
    Work on cutting-edge wireless
    Job security for authors/co-authors of numerous patent applications
    Mostly good people to work with
    Relaxed working environment (typically no product deadlines)

ConsHard to advance past Member Technical Staff for engineers
    Has a reputation as a patent troll
    Limited transparency of executive decision making down to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to drive the business through engineering innovation instead of purely patent driven decisions. Good engineering will always create value in some form.

Experience not great overall. Coworkers were great to work with.

IT Support (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA (US)

ProsCompensation is on par with industry for engineers and IT, however the KOP location is rather remote from any activities or a city.

ConsEntrenched in outdated processes, The Board and CEO trying to sell the company. Department projects and goals rarely met which affected your bonus - when they didn't cut it at the year's end. No yearly bonus if you leave before 12-31. KOP location is rather remote and all major access roads have heavy traffic during peak times.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to sell the company so The Board and CEO can have a payday, and get back to letting the engineers be innovative. Prorate bonuses when someone leaves of their own accord.

Need some talented higher management to drive this place

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA (US)

ProsGood work environment,
    open research environment

ConsR&D not applicable that much to product development
    The company is trying to invest in many small projects and this make it not specialized in any thing in particular

Advice to Senior ManagementUnclear vision for most of the employers on where the company is heading and its future. Management should make this message clear.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horizontal structure and easy-to-work with Engineers

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA (US)

ProsProfit-sharing, Annual bonus, opportunity to work with latest wireless technologies

ConsLack of vision; This company is big into patents and legal so Engineers are treated as second class citizens.

Advice to Senior Managementlook at long term goals rather than keep changing your strategies every short while. This will create a lot of distraction in the work place and results in a poor efficiency from the Engineers.

Fantastic place to work

ProsFamily friendly, fantastic people, great opportunity for advancement, interesting work, great benefits and compensation

ConsCan't think of any downside to working at InterDigtial

InterDigital is a place that can be both a wonderful and frustrating place to work.

Manager Equivalent (Current Employee)

ProsVery intelligent workforce; excellent salaries, benefits, bonuses; many avenues for learning - rotations in departments, training programs, and some really good people who are willing to teach you things and share their ideas. We can challenge ideas freely. While there's always a lot of change going on, it's a great company and our CEO is really approachable and totally gets it. There is a friendly, family-like atmosphere, very casual. It's easy to look forward to going to work.

ConsWe could update some of our internal technologies and maybe run certain areas more efficiently but the company is always looking at ways to improve so I have no complaints!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like the board of directors has always been too conservative to give good advice to a tech company so I would say to try and get more tech savvy and younger members on the board. They should be more willing to take risks on future technologies. We are extremely smart engineers and management has good ideas. I always have gotten the impression that the board blocks a lot of the more risky and interesting ideas.

The experience was not good. I worked in a myopic, entrenched chain of command.

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA (US)

ProsSalary
    Incentive plan
    Good location for families

ConsSuffocating, unexciting environment
    Unstimulating work
    Personal development opportunities very limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at past achievements of new hires and use that to carve a challenging career path for them.

Good pay for very senior level engineers and managers, poor pay to junior engineers

ProsGood pay for very senior level engineers and managers

Conspoor pay to junior engineers

Good money for the work hours.

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Melville, NY (US)

Prosa very relaxed pace of work, good base salaries, good bonus and compensation, freindly atmosphere, job stability, very good work- life balance

Consinsufficeint technical challenge, poor middle management who does not care about proffesional and carrer growth, most people are near retirement- very few young and dynamic people. Dfifficult to change groups- easy to be stuck in a rut

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the fat!. This is a top heavy organisation. Add more young engineers. Make promotions more uniform. Allow people to change groups

Intelligent, Motivated and Respectful Co-workers

Intern (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsInter Digital is a small company that focuses on the design of patents for cell phone technology. There are many opportunities to learn from an experienced R&D team. Everyone seems very motivated and there is a very good feeling of respect between employees (corporate politics exist but are kept to a minimum).

ConsThe employees are very skilled technically and tend to keep to themselves. You really need to engage yourself in discussion with other employees more so than at other companies. However if you make the effort, everyone seems very happy to help.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek to improve the efficiency of communication. Emphasize small meetings and discussions between a few people over large time-wasters. I spend way to much in "required" meetings. (This may not apply to everyone in the company but many of my co-workers have voiced this same concern).

Worked for InterDigital? Contribute to the Community!