Internap Network Services Reviews

Updated 26 April 2015
67 reviews filtered by

pitiful bro culture

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great first job out of college.

Cons

Bad male behavior is not only tolerated at Internap, but openly celebrated and encouraged by management.

(Examples of this are strip club lunches, gay jokes, drunk / hungover during company events, etc.)

Advice to Management

Please help make this place friendlier towards women and minorities.

majorly rethinking my decision

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn colocation and IP.

Can be good if you come with your own accounts.

I've met some great startups my first month here.

Cons

I feel like I've made a huge career mistake. Every day I feel micromanaged and do not have basic sales support. It took me many days to get a login so I could start quoting.

At my first sales kickoff in Atlanta, there was hardly any new product information. There doesn't seem to be much innovation here.

Advice to Management

Please make it easier to work here.

Still Struggling

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Technical talent is excellent (just poorly managed).

Internap marginally improves as iWeb people take over key roles.

Cons

Bringing "cloud" to Internap is like bringing democracy to China -- it may sound great, but it is next to impossible to implement given senior management's misunderstanding and lack of experience with cloud services.

Hardly any sales training on product line, internal processes, or quirks of quoting tools. Internap must fix this ASAP with the current churn in the sales force.

Sales is KPI driven, not results driven. If you inflate your engagement metrics, then you get the leads. We are told to have a pipeline of 20x our quota, which is unrealistic by industry standards.

Frat culture on sales teams. Sales kickoffs are more like spring break than they are professional meetings.

Advice to Management

Consider bringing on real cloud experts and senior management with experience turning around struggling companies.

Rethink value prop. "Hybridization" and "without compromise" messaging comes across as a euphemism for doing nothing well.

5. Operations & Engineering

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time

Pros

Opportunity for both professional growth and career advancement is available and often times, promotions from within are the norm. The employees make the difference, as there are quite a few that are some of the most dedicated and brightest people I've ever worked with. Strong product offering, with a future proofing that customers appreciate.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be difficult to maintain at times, but you get out what you put in.

Upper management needs help

Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, salary is somewhat competitive, office location is convenient, employees are nice to work with

Cons

Upper management has favorites and unless you are a favorite then forget about getting ahead in the company. Upper management seems to only do things if it benefits them and not their employees. No structure for advancement. No team unity environment.

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know your employees. Give more incentive for employees working hard and doing a good job.

7. Interesting strategy moves recently, stock going up, good potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time

Pros

Interesting mix of technology products and services, future-oriented markets (cloud, etc) good recent acquisitions, strong financial position and trend, nice teammates, good work-life balance (you can work as hard as you want but there seems to be less pressure than at some other big companies and small companies)

Cons

Offices spread around the country and world, IT and HR requests can be slow sometimes, some of the offices are much nicer than the others (for example the parent company HQ is nicer than the NYC sales office), some people don't work as hard as at startups

Advice to Management

Keep at it, continue to enhance culture and office environments

Disorganized

Former Employee - NAM in Herndon, VA (US)
    Former Employee - NAM in Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at Internap Network Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was ok, can work independently.

Cons

Need to revamp products, company culture is terrible

Advice to Management

More vision and direction needed.

Could be better but not the worst

I have been working at Internap Network Services

Pros

Great coworkers and team effort

Cons

Management just does not have their finger on the pulse. No real future goals to succeed just treading water at best.

Little leadership, no active planning, constant short-term projects, no focus on customer

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work well under pressure and can get things done on your own, this is a good place for such work.

Cons

The NY office is very startup oriented and fairly disconnected from the Atlanta head office. Unfortunately Internap has failed to adequately integrate its acquisitions so as a developer, prepare to maintain over 5 separate logins and use several testing and QA environments. The technical debt acquired from focusing on immediate goals and short-term put-out-that-fire type work is crippling their efforts to do good work. A major overhaul is required before anything is going to change.

11. murky waters

Former Employee - Support in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Support in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Internap Network Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is on the right track by eliminating field sales positions.

Internap's future is in self serve and turn key solutions. Now it just has to execute on that plan.

Individual people here are okay to work with.

Cons

Cloud strategy is murky, particularly with iWeb executives scheduled to leave. Given the mass exodus, it is not clear how Internap can pay off the millions of dollars in debt that it incurred purchasing iWeb and Voxel.

Internap has lost a critical mass of people in several departments. When people resign and don't leave behind documentation or update coworkers, then the rest of the company suffers deeply.

Support is abysmal. NOC managers are forced to tell customers with major networking problems that a tier 2 support person will not be able to call them back for several hours.

Advice to Management

Don't skimp on NOC headcount.

Continue to purge field sales people and shift those jobs internally. Sales is largely transactional, and this work can be done by our growing inside sales people in Atlanta.