Interpublic Group

Michael I. Roth

limiting

Downers Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Prosas a whole, IPGs offerings through its new specialty agencies are highly strategic enabling new opportunities for strategic growth and development. the challenge has been at the management level in making these offerings tangible and accessible.

Conslack of growth and development
inconsistent direction and competing vision
general lack of creativity
management pigeon holds great ideas as they feel threaten

Absolutely no communication, leadership, or training

Invoice Controller (Former Employee)

I worked at Interpublic Group

ProsBenefits were okay, and the casual dress was a nice change from most jobs. The hours were okay. Honestly, however, I'm racking my brain to think of these pros.

ConsA complete lack of cohesive training. There were three people training me during the first week and I was told different things by all three. There was no positive feedback, or any feedback for that matter. I was hired because of anticipated heavy work increase, but that never materialized and then without warning, after 21 days of employment, was let go because I was "not progressing fast enough". How can a person learn a job when the work doesn't exist and they are kept busy by pulling staples for three days? After I was let go, I didn't receive my check for 20 days afterwards, and the check I received was incorrect. I would not recommend IPG to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't even know where to start. This company needs a complete overhaul and communication, leadership, and training needs vast improvement.

Manage DBA's

Technical Architect (Current Employee)

ProsWork Life balance Salary Culture

ConsNot all management is on same page

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide consistent view

Good exposure to various aspects.

IT Business Analyst Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Interpublic Group

ProsThey provide excellent opportunity to explore and put forth new ideas.

ConsThey do not sponsor Visa.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to provide an opportunity to talented international students.

Clueless management, bad atmosphere

Account Supervisor (Former Employee)
Brussels (Belgium)

I worked at Interpublic Group

ProsIt's a good place to start working in advertising. The network is still substantial and some of the clients are good to work for. There is a desire to do things differently. Maybe the place will get back it's vibe once the whole industry revives as well. Young people often get substantial responsibility early on in their career.

ConsThe atmosphere is just plain rotten. Cost cutting has started to undermine all motivation.
The only news we get from senior management is that they've seen the light and that we're a team
and we're all going digital which is as substantive and credible as a 60's ad for soap. There is a culture of making excuses and cooperation between the various silos is just not working.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some professional middle management in, preferrably not from the ad industry to install proper procedures and motivation. Stop raving about being a creative powerhouse when you're not.

Great benefits and vacation, but not a long term place to call home.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Downers Grove, IL (US)

ProsVacation
Pay
Benefits

Great place for taking time away from the actual work, but not a place that you can feel that you will have a long term career.

ConsToo much turmoil both at the company and especially at the holding group. Wish that there had been more stability.

There IT Department lacks talent & management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Interpublic Group

ProsThe pay is OK... That's it!

ConsThe IT group for IPG varies from building to building each with its own set of IT folks. The management however 9 times out of 10 are NOT technically knowledgeable at all. The management do not have a clue and spend a great deal of time requesting a status instead of allowing you a chance to complete your work. Even though this is an advertising firm, the demand on the IT dept. is as high as if you were working for a Hedge Fund (just without the pay). Sr. management does not care about the IT satff and as far as they are concern you are roaches there to do there bidding. "Just get it done" is the motto, you mean nothing, you have a job so be happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of wasting talented people in the field replace the "YES-MAN" management you have. You may find that you get a lot more done and spend alot less money!

Still analog

I have been working at Interpublic Group

ProsThe companies in the umbrella provide a generally moderate pace of work.

ConsNo advancement in digital groups.
Analog creatives rule the roost.
Experienced employees are not valued.
Forward Movement is more important than management skill.
Technical support is abysmal.
Bean counting controls everything.
No conferences, education, or supplementary tools.
Not enough staff, for most groups. An exit-culture.

Advice to Senior Managementif you are ever going to be truly competent in digital, then you have to change from a job-to-job management approach to building a lasting team and then using it as a powerhouse to generate new business.

IPG is a caste system

I have been working at Interpublic Group

ProsFree coffee and great views... some colleagues are nice, but they leave all the time. It's hard to make a nd keep friends.

ConsManagement is promoted based on friendships with higher-ups. Competence and good management skills are not considered for promotions. HR is the least "human" function.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared to justify your $300,000+ incomes to the rest of the staff who make less than one-quarter what you make, yet do all the heavy lifting.

The work could be challenging, but knowledge is contained and protected by those in management positions.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Interpublic Group

ProsThe work-life balance is quite fair. The flexibility to work from home or managing your own work hours is very refreshing.

ConsThere is no career ladder at IPG. Former Agency Employees hold most of the leadership roles and are stubborn when it comes to discussing new ideas or approaches that may help the company grow. Compensation is very poor. Contractors make twice as much as full time employees and have better job security because they protect their information/knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to allow fresh ideas and young talent to grow. Stifling a new generation of thinkers and eager workers will only lead to high turnover with a bitter resentment towards an old-school style of management.

Worked for Interpublic Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Interpublic Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Interpublic Group CEO Michael I. Roth. All 49 reviews are posted anonymously by Interpublic Group employees.