www.intertek.com

Updated 21 November 2014
2.8

Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser
Wolfhart Hauser

Pros
  • Good pay, benefits and flex time (in 5 reviews)

• Intertek provides good entry-level jobs that help employees build their customer service skills and teamwork tactics (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I was denied a request to work fewer hours to improve my work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• There is no communication from management, decisions are constantly made without consultation and schemes are often introduced with no notice given (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Average -good for career start ONLY

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok. Lots of inexperience around.

Cons

Very poor morale
    Different rules for different people. A lot of unfairness.
    People are expendable. Very Very high staff turnover.
    Bottom line is king..equipment and furniture is ancient. Something out of the 70's.
    Utter disgrace...many unprofessional people work for this company. They hire the first in so they dont get bogged down with interviews and doing their job properly.
    Promotion by attrition.
    Brains go unrewarded.
    9 years in the same role...opportunities extremely limited.
    A multinational run like a corner store..decisions made on the run and zero planning for the future at any level.

Get rid of the top layers (big $$$ little input) and give some respect to employees.

marine surveyor of more than 10 years

Current Employee - Marine Surveyor in Geelong
    Current Employee - Marine Surveyor in Geelong

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

overtime, car allowance and small friendly team

Cons

work overload, no back up, irregular life

invest staff more with training, promoption and work life balance

Intertek

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I have been working at Intertek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is stable and offers fairly good benefits. The work load and expectations are reasonable and the employer is accommodating to flexible family needs.

Cons

The work environment here is very cool, people keep to themselves and since the company large, the feel is very corporate. On-boarding was rough and after having been in the group for 6+ months, I feel there is not much team spirit.

Too much upper management and not enough people to perform the testing. Most employees have been there for 15+ years.

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at Intertek full-time

Pros

Starting 4 weeks vacation. Friendly people.

Cons

No contact with upper management. Problems get passed off to the next person.

If you show some appreciation and worth towards entry level employees they would be more likely to stay. High turnover rate. Many employees actively seeking other employment.

High turnover.

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

20 days off a year, good benefits. Adequate pay for what you do. A lot of corporate managers and observers to watch over what you do.

Cons

High turnover. This leads to being constantly in an "orientation" mode. They won't train you because they don't know how Always recruiting for the job and not enough training for the job.
    There is a disproportionate number of senior managers, auditors, supervisors. etc, that do not contribute anything to the bottom line, but travel around, cost money, and generate even more work that justifies their traveling around and spending more money

Get rid of half of the non-producers, Either give them something that generates revenue or let them go..

It's ok

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice staff, really friendly atmosphere

Cons

No career growth, most likely will be doing the same for the rest of your life

I couldn't wait to get out

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Leatherhead, England (UK)

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you really don't go and beg for work, you can just sit in a corner doing nothing all day and you will still get paid. Management will ignore any unacceptable behavior as long as you make money for the company.

Cons

I spend over 6 months doing "ABSOLUTELY" nothing before I was provided with any sort of training. Management have no clue of what they do. I had to go begging for any sort of work or training. There were days where I literally fell asleep staring at my laptop all day but having nothing to do.
    Management has zero knowledge about engineering procedures and values. "Experienced" (old fashioned) engineers refuse to adopt to new engineering requirements and management never takes any action against this. Use too many short cuts to increase revenue and by-pass standard requirements.

Have a back bone to take necessary action when needed

No Accountability of Managers

Former Employee - Project Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Intertek as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You can meet many great employees and really expand your network quickly.

Cons

You can really expand your network quickly because of the high turnover rate. Either the good talent get scooped or find a better job or their contract is ended. The people that remain at the company are those that have never tried to get a job elsewhere. Very cliquey staff make internal politics a nightmare. Overall, everyone is very unhappy.

The new director is very good. But the management that was handed to her needs a major makeover. Some of the Project managers are very good. Some are VERY bad. None are held accountable for their actions, or lack of actions. If you want to get good employees, invest in an HR consultant to assist with the hiring process. Making hiring decisions based on the opinions of Senior Staff members and other Temps is both uneducated and unprofessional. Also, please tell the PM/PI and staff to at least wear something nicer than a T-Shirt when interviewing people that are coming in wearing suits and dress clothes. The first impression given is that of "we don't care".

not valued

Current Employee - Administrator in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrator in Leatherhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

FSTE 100 company might look good on one's CV. There are no other Pros for here.

Cons

terrible non existant management
    stupid 'yes men' directors
    pay disparity
    employees not valued at all
    no communication
    no progression opportunities

It Is the Wild West, Depends on What You Make of It

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Truly global organization, operates with small entrepreneurial units despite its gigantic size, opportunity to meet some great people across the world, depending on your role, of course. I worked here 6 years and thrived, but that was largely due to my personality and initiative. That's the thing that's great, if you take initiative and responsibility, you can accomplish much, but don't expect that there to be any formalized professional development or anything, you can get it, though, based on your initiative. What helped me was that I was doing much of my boss's work as well, so this gave me leverage, but I can see why not everyone would be in that position or even want to do that.

Cons

Very high turnover rate, where almost 30% of employees leave the company every year - this is a gigantic number if you take into account the fact that they claim to have 30,000 employees, and they fudge all their numbers a lot. London HQ does not care about this, they even think of it as a great convenience because they don't have to shrink the workforce. There is absolutely no organic growth, and the company grows only through acquisitions. Then I have seen them change the sales targets on the top salespeople, all meant to curtail the payments made to the top sales talent. This is a counter-productive and short-sighted strategy. There is a lot of corporate cheating going on, as the company is set up as over 100-200 legal entities across the world, and many of these entities show that they are losing money. The stock analysts never have true visibility into what the company's operations are. The London HQ offices are kept deliberately modest, but then the Board of Directors really travels in style for Board meetings all over the world, so appearances and claims are very deceiving. Some people get promotions because they have affairs with top leadership members, and these are kind of open secrets.

Have more integrity, value the true talent that is within your company, rather than being a training ground for your competitors.