Intertek Reviews

Updated 31 August 2014
2.9

Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser
Wolfhart Hauser

Pros
  • We have the power to move into any industry sector where we see growth opportunities and the people to make sure we are successful (in 5 reviews)

• Intertek provides good entry-level jobs that help employees build their customer service skills and teamwork tactics (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I was denied a request to work fewer hours to improve my work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• There is no communication from management, decisions are constantly made without consultation and schemes are often introduced with no notice given (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Average -good for career start ONLY

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Perth, Western Australia
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are ok. Lots of inexperience around.

Cons

Very poor morale
    Different rules for different people. A lot of unfairness.
    People are expendable. Very Very high staff turnover.
    Bottom line is king..equipment and furniture is ancient. Something out of the 70's.
    Utter disgrace...many unprofessional people work for this company. They hire the first in so they dont get bogged down with interviews and doing their job properly.
    Promotion by attrition.
    Brains go unrewarded.
    9 years in the same role...opportunities extremely limited.
    A multinational run like a corner store..decisions made on the run and zero planning for the future at any level.

Get rid of the top layers (big $$$ little input) and give some respect to employees.

marine surveyor of more than 10 years

Current Employee - Marine Surveyor  in  Geelong
    Current Employee - Marine Surveyor in Geelong

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

overtime, car allowance and small friendly team

Cons

work overload, no back up, irregular life

invest staff more with training, promoption and work life balance

It Is the Wild West, Depends on What You Make of It

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Truly global organization, operates with small entrepreneurial units despite its gigantic size, opportunity to meet some great people across the world, depending on your role, of course. I worked here 6 years and thrived, but that was largely due to my personality and initiative. That's the thing that's great, if you take initiative and responsibility, you can accomplish much, but don't expect that there to be any formalized professional development or anything, you can get it, though, based on your initiative. What helped me was that I was doing much of my boss's work as well, so this gave me leverage, but I can see why not everyone would be in that position or even want to do that.

Cons

Very high turnover rate, where almost 30% of employees leave the company every year - this is a gigantic number if you take into account the fact that they claim to have 30,000 employees, and they fudge all their numbers a lot. London HQ does not care about this, they even think of it as a great convenience because they don't have to shrink the workforce. There is absolutely no organic growth, and the company grows only through acquisitions. Then I have seen them change the sales targets on the top salespeople, all meant to curtail the payments made to the top sales talent. This is a counter-productive and short-sighted strategy. There is a lot of corporate cheating going on, as the company is set up as over 100-200 legal entities across the world, and many of these entities show that they are losing money. The stock analysts never have true visibility into what the company's operations are. The London HQ offices are kept deliberately modest, but then the Board of Directors really travels in style for Board meetings all over the world, so appearances and claims are very deceiving. Some people get promotions because they have affairs with top leadership members, and these are kind of open secrets.

Have more integrity, value the true talent that is within your company, rather than being a training ground for your competitors.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dynamic company with opportunities for learning

I worked at Intertek full-time

Pros

The group is a very dynamic as the organisation and business structure keep changing every year. It is a good training ground and yet rewarding.

Cons

Too frequent changes may make one employee feel great pressure in adapting changes. Due to the cost cutting exercise, the employees' performance bonus are cut at the expense of employees' benefits.

Top management does not seem to have clear directions that result in unnecessary changes.

Intertek is in a servicing industry- management should care about employees' welfare. Turning around the financial performance should not at the expense of the employees; especially those who has contributed to the financial performance positively.

Good Company

Former Employee - Lead  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Lead in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company for any fresher

Cons

Not many growth ops after 3-4 years stay

Right Leader to the Right Domain with Right Domain experience would help growth

Flexible, revolving door

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, very flexible management.

Cons

Too flexible, limited leadership, no growth or development of people..

busy

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than a year

Pros

multiple products to work with and execute

Cons

no support from and proper documents

arrange proper training

Its a nice company.

I have been working at Intertek

Pros

People are so cooperative, friendly, nice working environment

Cons

Supporting employees, supporting end user,

A great place to work

Former Employee - Team Leader - Toys and Customer Service  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader - Toys and Customer Service in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was really lucky and had the oportunity from the very begining to create the role into what I wanted it to be. My role was so varied from really focussed customer delivery, visits to new, exisiting and potential clients all the through to supporting my thirst to learn more from a technical perspective.

Cons

With the greatest of respect, some really technical people aren't necessarily great people people (and this remains true even in my job with a different company). Many of the senior colleagues in the business were there (both internal promotions and externally bought in) for technical expertise rather than leadership which was sometimes a miss. The approach at that time to HR issues were a little more generous than other employers. The MD I had when I left was pretty awesome guy though - completely about people.

Look to how you can inspire the team through leadership and possibilities rather than a pure technicain viewpoint. I only left because succession opportunities were limited due to my need to be based in the Midlands - it was such a hard decision to leave and I do still miss it there.

UX Design

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer

I worked at Intertek full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay.Allow Work From Home

Cons

Job subject seemed a bit dry for a creative person.

Worked for Intertek? Contribute to the Community!