Ipsos Reviews

Updated 26 August 2014

3.1

Ipsos Chairman and CEO Didier Truchot
Didier Truchot

Pros
  • emerging as one of the most comprehensive market research entities on a global scale (in 24 reviews)

• Flexibility with work schedules, great people on the team (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Management acts like they own you - there is no work-life balance other than lip service paid to the concept (in 22 reviews)

• Some extremely dull work, long hours for which you are not recognised, poor pay (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

good company and fun people

Current Employee - Director  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Director in Sydney

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than a year

Pros

fun place to work. Good people and great attitude. But, I hear things have started going down

Cons

not much clarity on where the company wants to go (grow).... depends too much on individuals to drive the growth with out clear direction from the management.

provide clear goals -- coach, mentor and compensate employees for their efforts.

Overall Good place to work

I have been working at Ipsos

Pros

smart and interesting people. everyone is always willing to help out if someone needs it. team is great to work for.

Cons

protocols are different when working with our divisions. ops is a little slow and can't really help if project is outside the norm.

Environment is ok but career prospect is very limited

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

I worked at Ipsos full-time for more than a year

Pros

OK working environment and friendly colleagues

Cons

Very slow career progress & low salary
    Colleagues are not very bright, I could not learn much from them
    Learning and growth opportunity are quite limited

Should put more focus on people: recruiting and retaining talents

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Battling BUs- make sure you are in a good one!

I worked at Ipsos

Pros

Good reputation. Generally smart motivated people. Intellectually stimulating. Some very good data scientists. Great clients.

Cons

Too dependent on division heads. My division's leader was a total middle manager- a sycophant to those above him and a dictator to those below. He had no sense of market strategy and his energy was internally facing. I finally had to leave. Last I heard he got removed from the position, but is still with the company.

Take your own advice and think outside the box. Get rid of the middle management mentality and battling business units. Innovate around big data and analytics. Your data scientists are your biggest assets.

Avoid this company unless you are a machine

Former Employee - Research Associate
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Even an entry-level researcher have opportunities to meet and discuss with CEOs, senior management of client companies. Able to get a lot of practical skills such as presentation, report writing, statistical analysis.

Cons

Great pressures from management to meet sales target, which lead to embarrassingly poor work quality. Most likely to work more than 12 hours a day to produce crap reports but junior's contributions are taken for granted. Low salary compared to the competitors in the industry. High turn-over rate without a doubt.

Researchers are not a machine....

Great company struggling to not lose what made it great ever since Synovate acquisition

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Ipsos attracts really smart people, and my division was full of both smart and good people. Ultimately, I remained at Ipsos longer than I should have career-wise because I enjoyed the work and loved my colleagues.

If you start your career here, there will definitely be room for you to learn and grow your career over time. They offer terrific training (Ipsos University) as well, which is there for the taking.

Cons

Compensation is not great compared to competitors (and certainly not compared to corporate/client side).

The culture and general management has been suffering since the Synovate acquisition--rather than what made Ipsos great helping to make Synovate better, the ills and weaknesses that plagued Synovate have bled into Ipsos. While this varies by division, being a matrix organization, the company generally (and certain divisions specifically) is blind to this infection and struggling to stay on track performance-wise as a result.

If you move to Ipsos mid-career, be prepared, you may likely find that room for growth will be limited...exec level positions tend not to open often and, when they do, too often are filled by outside hires than inside promotions.

Pretty average for a global company

Current Employee - Research Manager
    Current Employee - Research Manager

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Varied projects. That's probably the only good thing.

Cons

No work life balance. Over promising to clients by seniors creates tremendous work load on researchers. In a motive to please clients and win business or meet monthly numbers, seniors promise impossible deadlines to clients. As a result, researchers are burdened. But bosses don't understand why researchers need adequate time to finish a pretty darn good output. Some project deliverables are literally like building Rome in a day. It might seem lucrative for short term to win projects by agreeing to whatever clients demand, but in the long run poor quality, haphazard deliverables will ultimately drive business away.

Some very incapable assoc/directors. Just because they have clocked in more years does not mean they are good. They may be expert researchers but can be hopeless people managers. Also, some are extremely lethargic and not at all detail oriented.

Work environment is pretty drab amd boring. Not a place where creativity in research can be applied. Very 'by the book' approach to almost everything. Information systems/job books are too cumbersome and outdated.

Overall, good start in your resume if you are new. But not a good long term prospect.

Listen to employees. Annual surveys are formalities. Recognize who works and who doesn't. Make work environment fun. Encourage chirpy chit chat within and across departments. Keep the mood upbeat and lively.

Learn to control clients and not be controlled by them. Try to win clients because you do a damn good job, not because you can bend at their will.

And finally, please recognize that employees have lives outside of the office too.

It was great.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Ipsos as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Collegues are nice and willing to teach.

Cons

As an intern, low salary is the biggest headache.

Good research companies with many solutions

Former Employee - Associate Director  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at Ipsos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good research companies with many solutions

Cons

Bottom line driven; Not care about employee that much

Care more about employee

First ever international work experience.

Current Employee - Group Finance Controller  in  Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Group Finance Controller in Paris (France)

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than a year

Pros

- supporting team members
    - contact with people from different countries
    - huge responsibilty

Cons

- poor training to staffs
    - a lot of manual work

Worked for Ipsos? Contribute to the Community!