Ipsos

Ipsos Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Ipsos Chairman and CEO Didier Truchot

Didier Truchot

Pros:
  • "Very good company or people that would like to make a career in Market Research"
    in 22 reviews
  • "great work environment if it's your first job, very nice people and free coffee"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "There's no work life balance and the expectation is that you sacrifice yourself for the client"
    in 15 reviews
  • "VPs and account managers do not recognize the long hours associates work and have come to expect it"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great, below average pay

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

ProsGreat experiences, good people, amazing work/life balance

ConsBelow average pay, promotions sometimes take longer than they should

Rewarding, autonomous and innovative

Director (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBroad roles, supportive management, open to innovation and challenge of the status quo. Inspiring senior management.

ConsCareer development is a little hit and miss. Internal networking between markets is tough, too much competition internally for revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an open job site where people can post their CV's and skills to allow movement within Ipsos.

Good people, though they're leaving in droves

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than a year

ProsGood atmosphere, strong product, good people

ConsOverworked, understaffed. When people leave, they aren't replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to backfill those who have left, and respect work/life balance

Good multinational company for a professional development.

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat working environment, team players.
A place where you can learn, where you can develop, where you can grow.
Pleasant events

ConsCommunication at all levels could be improved.
Sometimes, throughout a project , each stage may be influenced by piles of rules and procedures, not very clearly explained.

PM

Project Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable, interesting, a lot to learn

ConsNot much room to grow

Advice to Senior ManagementThink more about people and what they can accomplish for the company.

Market Research Associate

Market Research Associate (Current Employee)
Culver City, CA (US)

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat place to work but it also depends on your business unit.
Very supportive staff.
Creative and down to earth employees and facilities manager
Fun, relaxed, and always have a fun event going on every month

ConsIt is a global company so off-shoring work to different depts can be a challenge

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

My experience is good in IPSOS

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe main reason in working is IPSOS is there is a lot of new thing which I have learnt like new software & how to make budget for different project.

ConsThere is not challenge faced in this company

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good for beginners, not for long term though

Research Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than a year

ProsGOOD CLIENT PORTFOLIO: Some of the top brands and corporations form the clientele, along with top local market brands. Good learning curve and exposure.
DIVERSITY IN PROJECTS: Pretty decent diversity in terms of research projects and objectives. Good exposure to different research methodologies.
BENEFITS: Decent benefits (at least at a mid-level). Not great, but not too bad either.
COLLEAGUES: Not all, but most are good to be with. Some gems of researchers there.
FACILITIES: Good research facilities. Not state-of-the-art, but good enough to get work done efficiently.

ConsA lot.. where to begin.

1) WORK-LIFE: Forget about it. you are expected to work late. In fact, if you leave on time, you are scorned upon by "team-mates" (READ: Superiors). Insane work hours! No one cares if you have to work until 11:30 pm - 12:00 midnight. You are expected to turn up the next day at 9 am with a big fat smile on your face.

2) WORK-LOAD: Bosses over-promise to clients (in terms of timelines and deliverables), which causes immense workload on team-members. Sometimes, they bite more than they can chew (I don't know why... maybe the 'big agency' ego or just to please clients). Prime reason for Point 1, WORK-LIFE. Also, a major reason to cause mistakes in projects. When mistakes happen, there is a prompt reprimand waiting to happen, but no one seems to acknowledge the cause of mistakes - INSANE WORK LOAD. Forget about seniors acknowledging your workload. Instead, once they know you can do it, you will always be the one doing it.

3) "GO BY THE BOOK": Too bureaucratic and corporatized for a company in MR. Rigidity and lack of fluidity in processes. Not all processes can be uniform for all projects.Too many forms and documents for simple, minor things. The proposals, research instruments, reports are highly templated and leave a little room for changes. Rigidity takes over ease and convenience in this case. Takes a long time to get fieldwork quotations which in turn delays the overall project quote which in turn delays deadlines. I guess the ISO compliance has created more issues than resolutions. Simple processes have become highly time-consuming. FYI, many global organizations are now moving away from ISO because of its cumbersomeness. It's basic principle is "Document what you do. Do what you document".

4) NOSTALGIA: So many people are still living in the "When I was in Synovate..." days. Seems that ex-Synovate people haven't been able to come out of that groove. May be that time was better. Who knows....
Whatever it is, it alienates those from the "non-Synovate days".

5) CROSS-COUNTRY RESEARCH: Not a lot of co-ordination. Many last minute changes and issues. Sometimes bordering on the verge of mismanagement.

6) WORK CULTURE: Different departments are different. Literally. Little cross-departmental communication (formal/informal), except the dept. heads who frequently may have KPI/target meetings.

7) OBLIVION: Department/team heads and top management significantly (if not completely) oblivious to employee issues at ground level (READ: work load, work-life or the lack of it, quicker burn-out). Or maybe they just turn a blind eye, as long as someone is there to do the project's hard labour.

8) BOTTOM LINE IS THE ONLY LINE: Too bottom-line driven. Not everything can be and has to be weighted by numbers. For example, when I asked my Director why are we not hiring 1 or 2 more researchers to ease of the workload, the standard reply I got was that, "we are not making enough money to justify another hire". End of discussion.

9) WHAT'S IN A NAME!?: Literally. Jr. RMs, SREs, REs and Assistants are just fancy nomenclatures. They basically spend a lot of time in doing menial clerical jobs due to the rigidity in processes.

10) COMPENSATION EQUITY: If I were doing a regular 8 hour/day job, I wouldn't mind the salary. But there is no system in place to account for all those extra 10-20 hours/week that I put.

I guess this is it.

FINAL VERDICT: If you are young and inexperienced and looking for a great first start on your resume, this is it! Not so great for a long-term stay though. A couple of years and you know it's time you checked out from here. Not a good long-term prospect as it will cause severe lack of personal life and an early burn-out.

I have a mildly negative future outlook for Ipsos, at least in terms of employee retention, employee welfare and manpower empowerment. Certainly not a company for anyone who expects personal life to take precedence over professional life.

Advice to Senior Management1. Learn to say NO to the clients. Not everything the client demands, has to be the FINAL WORD.
2. Try to increase inter-departmental camaraderie.
3. Train people. Trained employees will value the organization more. Training does not mean the training centre website alone.
4. Empower researchers by giving some amount of flexibility NOT TO stick to procedures.
5. Be sensitive and empathetic to work-life balance issues of employees. Know when to stop mindless mounting of work load on employees.

Okay..?

I have been working at Ipsos as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Working with smart and attentive colleagues
- Sufficient working facilities
- Nice working environment

Cons- The nature of the industry creates a rigid team that somehow can't grasp the meaning of teamwork
- Not enough mentoring for the first time of working in the industry
- Undefinable working hours

Advice to Senior ManagementResearch is not a game of guess works, but that doesn't mean that you can't work in the creative and fun way. Working environment is nice, to promote "work" but not to manage the stress level of the employees

Reasonable firm but not good to its people

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedules (though lots of hours). Global reach - can work almost anywhere if you want to.

ConsPoor work-life balance. Salaries/titlesdo not match workloads/hours. Pretty poor (expensive) health insurance for such a large company also.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee retention should be number 1 on the list for the year, not down towards the bottom. Everything else will improve if your employees are happy.

Worked for Ipsos? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ipsos reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ipsos CEO Didier Truchot. All 237 reviews are posted anonymously by Ipsos employees.