Iron Mountain Inc

Updated 25 February 2015
Updated 25 February 2015
2.9

William Meaney

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance, options to work from home depending on the nature of your position (in 19 reviews)

• Global company with good benefits & on site subsidized cafeteria (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis (in 16 reviews)

• Outsourcing customer service to the Phillipines initlally irritated customers (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Stuck in the Dark Ages

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good strong global brand and heritage doing records storage.
    Great place to learn about corporate politics and ineffectual leadership.
    Good people, trying desperately to cover for the businesses incompetence, for tiny rewards.

Cons

No vision or aspirations for the business.
    If it can be bungled, it will.
    Still think they understand and play in the space they did well 10-15 years ago.

Take a look at Kodak to see where you are going, pull your heads out of the navel gazing politics and actually align the business.

The ship is sinking

Former Employee - Business Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Business Sales Executive

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Had great local leadership

Cons

Work life balance is no longer there. Constant change and on going downsizing. REIT status changed companies direction and their customer service disintegrated with all the changes.

Great potential but leaders not addressing real issues

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time

Pros

Nice, well-meaning people; strong culture of doing the right thing; belief in talent as strategy; strong financial management; commitment to social responsibility.

Cons

Gap between intent and execution. Very risk averse; old boy network, especially in the field; too many people who have only worked at Iron Mountain/stuck in tradition; too much DIY for employees to function efficiently (and happily).

Address the "cons." Ask people to help you solve problems, create solutions -- too much input and thinking trapped at the senior level.

Good place to work if you're in the right organization

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, and work/family balance.

Cons

Abrupt organizational changes seem to occur on a regular basis.

Watch your back.

Director

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

The company attracts smart dedicated and smart people. Iron Mountain is a good company with great people who work very hard.

Cons

Iron Mountain's revenue is dependent upon paper storage in its core. Technology is replacing the need for paper and since paper related businesses are experiencing rapid declines (printers, greeting cards, etc.) the company must reinvent themselves to continue to grow.

Don't leave the matter of evolution to the next generation of leaders. It is not enough to place emphasis day-by-day on turned numbers to hit immediate revenue targets. Determine what Iron Mountain is going to be 20 years from now; then invest time, money and energy into what is next.

Under paid. Under appreciated.

Current Employee - Records Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Records Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

Benefits, Bonuses, Volunteering programs.

Cons

Work load, Physically demanding, Annual raise, Treadmill job can't move up. Pay not worth how much they work you

Value your employees like you value you're customers. Tryna to squeeze every little production out of your workers while not worrying about safety our well being.

A good traditional company with opportunities for the ambitious, flexible, patient, mobile, and ops-inclined

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is absolutely attainable if you use your time and focus effectively. Career advancement opportunities are yours for the taking if you actively pursue development and growth opportunities (you must have smart initiative), if you are willing to wait, and if you are willing to relocate. Benefits are solid - middle of the pack for good large companies, and they make continual improvements. Many resources have been expended and made available to all people leaders to help them be better managers for their direct reports. Iron Mountain is always looking to improve. I think the most recent changes have been in everyone's favor and the growth we need might finally take hold.

Cons

I haven't worked for many other large corporations, and I hear this is par for most of them, but the reorganization addiction really needs to settle down a bit. This is especially true in the IT department. The disconnect between the aspirational core values and the realities of management/shareholder-driven business decisions is jarring and could use some soul-searching and reconciliation. The supervisor role is in need of a re-evaluation of duties; too much of the role is administrative and tactical, and they need much more time available to spend being mentored and developing their people leadership.

I'm all for change for the better, but sometimes you need more than 6 months to see if a change worked or not. Or, let's not decide to do a change if there's strong evidence that it's not the right direction, and maybe we won't need to course-correct in 6 months. I'm not saying we should freeze up every time we are trying to make a decision. But sometimes I don't know if leadership across all levels truly owns their decisions, including the fact that it might take extra assistance and resources in the short-term in order to implement the change well and take care of unforeseen circumstances, even if we are trying to save costs in the long run.

But the future looks good and the past year we saw some encouraging changes in leadership behavior. Emphasize the "Good to Great" mentality so that folks aren't constantly worried that the company is tanking every time we talk numbers, but rather that we're looking to be even better than the good we already are. Limit initiatives across the company and give leaders time to fully implement one before rolling out another one.

Wouldn't go back

Former Employee - BDE in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - BDE in London, England (UK)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand, great sales team in Mid Market during my time. Loads of other great folks the business.

Cons

Management of Mid market sales was trapped in 1970's micro management style with no insight or vision, All been brought in from rentagenericsalesmanagers.com. Many had recently moved Jim Henson companies bringing with them a distinct style of management.
    Senior Management included carousel of MD's, each with the their idea how to make things work. We had 5 in 9 years, better chances being a football manager. This produced the instability of constant restructuring and jostling for power.
    Latterly management done everything but listen to the frontline troops and very few of their fixes worked. They operated a distinct closed door policy with some of the SLT imbuing themselves with the status of business Gods and living in suitably constructed ivory towers.
    IM have lost focus and are losing customers by the hundreds.

Get a life.

Client Relationship Executive

Current Employee - Client Relationship Executive in Royersford, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Executive in Royersford, PA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company tries to do right by employees, even if they make a decision and it's not well received they attempt to change it to accommodate the employee population

Cons

Sales team are segmented out. Management is okay but . A lot of constant change and no room to advance.

Managers need first hand knowledge of how to do sales role, they need to be open to help, educate, and listen.