Iron Mountain Inc

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated 24 January 2015
Updated 24 January 2015

William Meaney

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance, options to work from home depending on the nature of your position (in 19 reviews)

• Global company with good benefits & on site subsidized cafeteria (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis (in 16 reviews)

• Outsourcing customer service to the Phillipines initlally irritated customers (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Stuck in the Dark Ages

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good strong global brand and heritage doing records storage.
    Great place to learn about corporate politics and ineffectual leadership.
    Good people, trying desperately to cover for the businesses incompetence, for tiny rewards.

Cons

No vision or aspirations for the business.
    If it can be bungled, it will.
    Still think they understand and play in the space they did well 10-15 years ago.

Take a look at Kodak to see where you are going, pull your heads out of the navel gazing politics and actually align the business.

Client Relationship Executive

Current Employee - Client Relationship Executive in Royersford, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Executive in Royersford, PA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company tries to do right by employees, even if they make a decision and it's not well received they attempt to change it to accommodate the employee population

Cons

Sales team are segmented out. Management is okay but . A lot of constant change and no room to advance.

Managers need first hand knowledge of how to do sales role, they need to be open to help, educate, and listen.

A good traditional company with opportunities for the ambitious, flexible, patient, mobile, and ops-inclined

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is absolutely attainable if you use your time and focus effectively. Career advancement opportunities are yours for the taking if you actively pursue development and growth opportunities (you must have smart initiative), if you are willing to wait, and if you are willing to relocate. Benefits are solid - middle of the pack for good large companies, and they make continual improvements. Many resources have been expended and made available to all people leaders to help them be better managers for their direct reports. Iron Mountain is always looking to improve. I think the most recent changes have been in everyone's favor and the growth we need might finally take hold.

Cons

I haven't worked for many other large corporations, and I hear this is par for most of them, but the reorganization addiction really needs to settle down a bit. This is especially true in the IT department. The disconnect between the aspirational core values and the realities of management/shareholder-driven business decisions is jarring and could use some soul-searching and reconciliation. The supervisor role is in need of a re-evaluation of duties; too much of the role is administrative and tactical, and they need much more time available to spend being mentored and developing their people leadership.

I'm all for change for the better, but sometimes you need more than 6 months to see if a change worked or not. Or, let's not decide to do a change if there's strong evidence that it's not the right direction, and maybe we won't need to course-correct in 6 months. I'm not saying we should freeze up every time we are trying to make a decision. But sometimes I don't know if leadership across all levels truly owns their decisions, including the fact that it might take extra assistance and resources in the short-term in order to implement the change well and take care of unforeseen circumstances, even if we are trying to save costs in the long run.

But the future looks good and the past year we saw some encouraging changes in leadership behavior. Emphasize the "Good to Great" mentality so that folks aren't constantly worried that the company is tanking every time we talk numbers, but rather that we're looking to be even better than the good we already are. Limit initiatives across the company and give leaders time to fully implement one before rolling out another one.

Where is Iron Mountain headed?

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good company! Leader in the industry. Iron Mountain has good intentions to be fair to employees. Benefit package is good compared to other companies. Excellent work/life balance for many in sales. Freedom to work in the office or home thanks to VOIP technology. Most employees have been with the company for more then 10 years now. Historically, many are proud to work for this organization.

Cons

The industry is changing and Iron Mountain is struggling survive. Customer are no longer storing paper due to the cloud. Many layoffs and pay cuts is common place now. Most of the long term talent is gone due to salary, commission changes (on top of an unrealistic quotas to store more paper) . Every year, there is a new program. Nothing sticks long enough to measure results. The year Iron Mountain was forced to change to a REIT, the dynamics of the company changed.

Stop the good talent from leaving! Dig deep in the field to have a better understanding. Money drives behavior so go back to realistic quotas. At this point, no one is happy. Morale is low!

Get rid of some of that real estate and invest in new customer focused technology to stay relevant.

Stagnant work.

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wfh and flexible timings. Nice space.

Cons

Culture of meetings for everything. Late night calls, support expectations, Indian management is so called not worth a bit.

None

Opportunity exists for mature business with continued focus on Customer

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mature business with potential for growth outside of North America

Cons

Balance focus on International and emerging market growth with mature North America business

Stay focused on the customer

i had a great time with the company.

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

open culture.
    friendly people.
    work life balance.
    work from homes allowed depending on the team you go.
    compensation is just like any other company like infosys, wipro and a little high.

Cons

training depends on your managers approval. hard to get. you need to show your metal to get it .
    quick org. changes

Laid off in reorganization

Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and service in my division but the rest of the company is poor.

Cons

rigid and outdated systems, policies and upper mgmt.

Need to invest more in front line employees and listening to customers feedback.

old school box management company that was struggling to evolve

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

big company with typical resources and benefits, decent mid-level compensation depending upon role

Cons

no clear strategy, lack of stability, dying business

develop a true mission and strategy, be loyal to customers and employees