Itron
www.itron.com Liberty Lake, WA 5000+ Employees

Itron Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2014

Philip Mezey

Pros:
  • "Management tries to give people opportunity and some work life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "India (Energy) business being deliberately killed"
    in 4 reviews
  • "If I missed an expense, it was out of my pocket"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Too Much Politics forcing competent people to Quit..... Leading towards a Downfall

Sales (Current Employee)
Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood History, used to be a good Company in Actaris times.. Now nothing more that property of few Politicians

ConsPoor Talent Retention, Lacking market Focus, Too much Politics.. India (Energy) business being deliberately killed.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake-up , your Political Mid management is Looting the company and forcing Good people to leave

challenging but leave you very satisfied

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
West Union, SC (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is a global company.

ConsDemands what area you work in. You have to meet your deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome with an open mind and contribute your opinions with your team.

Itron is a sinking ship due to poor planning by incompetent management.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent pay, while you're there.

ConsItron hires more people than they need so they get their projects done. Then they lay off the extra people they no longer need. They go by which project you're working on, not seniority, knowledge, skills or work ethic.

Without question, Itron has the most unprofessional management I've ever been around. One manager reminded me of a 6th grade bully.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's too late for advice. This company is going down.

Once great place to be - Now more and more depressing

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat employees. Lots of talented people that I enjoy working with.

ConsVery depressing:
Summer 2012 - layoffs
Early 2013 - wage freeze: No raises regardless of annual review results
Fall 2013 - another round of layoffs
Early 2014 - announced that the layoffs will continue and they haven't finalized the list.

Good news is a fading memory at this point.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale is suffering. I hear more and more dark humor about the state of our jobs and the company. I love what I do but I can no longer tell my friends that this is a good place to work. PLEASE do something to show that you care about the employees. Right now, it feels like we're being sacrificed to the shareholders.

Great product. Unique culture. Still Made n USA

I have been working at Itron full-time

ProsMy experience at Itron was positive. There is no perfect company of course so anyone who doesn't find good in a company is looking for the perfect company. Itron has great technology, they have worked hard to keep things "Made in the USA" when most other smart grid companies have shipped things to China or Mexico where it's been proven the quality and reliability of smart metering is significantly less. If you have a Itron meter it's quality. Like most companies they were hit with downturn in sales due to many factors beyond their control. Overall when things were rolling and sales up, my time there was great. Management tries to give people opportunity and some work life balance.

ConsBecause it's a mid sized company and sales are not predictable things do feel unstable when sales are down. Also cross training and development of other experience an you are hired for isn't easy to get. I think there is a lot of talent there that should be developed more.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a robust University recruiting program to help fill the difficult to find engineering talent that is needed. If you do that then also support the managers with resources to train the new grads. This will pay of 10 fold as there is a lack of available talent for the complex technical needs Itron has. After doing this change your compensation system to allow out of cycle raises to these engineers. You don't want to invest in new grads, train them on your dime only then to lose them to other companies when they offer them a 20-30% increase 3 yrs later. Technical talent goes up in value rapidly so small 1-5% raises won't work. You will lose this talent quickly if you don't keep their salaries inline with the market. Final suggestion is to formally cross train other employees so they stay challenged and gain more experience. In doing this you will profit from employees who have a broader scope of expertise and in turn that employee will want to stay with e company.

Quality Engineer (Former Employee)
Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron as a contractor for more than a year

ProsPleasant work environment.
Very friendly people.

ConsLuck of direction and support

Advice to Senior ManagementStrategic focus

Integrated, Tested and Repaired Power meter with Smart module integrated into them (cellular Phone modules).

Machine Operator/Integration Technician/RMA Technician (Former Employee)
Flowood, MS (US)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAt the time it was a company with large growth potential.

ConsWe were bought out by Itron Inc to discontinue our product that was there completion.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere was a lot of other product we had going for us besides the Smart Meter Module. Like the Grid Router and the DCX ((Direct Connect eXternal) box that could be connected to lots of product besides the power meter, like water meters gas meters etc...

Itron lacked training classes that were necessary

Undisclosed (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time for less than a year

ProsTeam of very friendly people

ConsTraining skills from professional to day to day were really lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry job sharing as a beginning for training

Used to be great, now struggling

Senior Technical Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPleasant work environment, great people, little politics.
Comparatively large number of enthusiastic employees with initiative in lower ranks.
Promotion policies are good up to middle management.

ConsCompany is currently undergoing crisis for a lack of strategic focus. Trying to "me-too" with competitors instead of assembling talent to tackle Smart Grid proactively.

Senior management is mostly male and white, tired, lacks original thinking, indecisive, depressing for troops. Does not "get" software, Seems more focused on satisfying stock analysts by laying off low-level staff than sticking to a strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out dead wood at HQ. Promote younger, more female managers into senior management, or hire an outsider or two.

Technical Consultant II (Former Employee)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than a year

Pros-- Good work culture
-- Well regarded in its industry

Cons-- Very poor managers
-- Very poor expense report policy
-- High prevalence of insider culture. Only a few people get the plum assignments
-- No support for innovative and critical thinking
-- As a company missing the boat on the big analytics market

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture. It might be a painful process to build better products but it will be worthwile

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Itron reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Itron CEO Philip Mezey . All 60 reviews are posted anonymously by Itron employees.