Itron

www.itron.com

Itron Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields(in 5 reviews)

• Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • India (Energy) business being deliberately killed(in 4 reviews)

I loved working at Iron, I started with them when they very young and got to grow with then for 25 years.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Liberty Lake, WA (US)

ProsI wore many "hats" during my working years at Itron. It was a great learning experience and opportunity for personal and professional growth. Itron felt like family in a way and I wanted to make sure I did everything to make the company successful. It was a struggle at times as we grew so quickly and with any high tech company change was the name of the game. Being flexible and willing to work long hard hours sometimes was a real challenge but well worth the growth and learning opportunities I was exposed to.

ConsI was able to developed my many leadership skills. Itron always offered its employees very good benefits over the years.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcquisitions were always a challenge as we grew. New management did not always understand what some employees did because it was so different from what they were used to. I think it is really important to try to spend a little more time in this area so they are better able to manage employees and processes.

Good employer that's facing market challenges

ProsGreat people, reasonably challenging work

ConsStruggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up the top ranks to outsiders and new ideas

Not the right place for professionals

ProsNot much. The paycheck was not bad. Good place for retired folks who want to spend time and get paid until the end of their career.

ConsThis company has a bad reputation in the renewable industry so if you want to stay in renewable industry in the future, you may reconsider.
    Expect to be ignored at expositions and conferences when you show up at Itron booth. I used to work with them a while years ago and after that, i had to convince people at interviews that I was not associated with them and just worked there for a while. If you stayed there for a short period and you are planning to stay in the renewable business, I recommend removing Itron from your resume. They will not tell you but will look the other way when they see that name.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider reconstructing the management and use stronger and more active managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place for seniors and retired folks, not a good place for minorities!

Energy Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsEasy paycheck while government still contracts this company. That may not last long though as the government cut back on many projects.

ConsThe company is a government contractor and the main work is generating long, boring, and useless reports for the state government. Lack of efficiency and too many senior employees who do not actively take part in the job cause writing reports to take much longer than expected which is a huge waste of government money. These reports do not have much value but you get your paycheck and you can be happy with it. The easy paycheck however comes with a package of rude and offensive colleague behavior. You can expect to hear a long of interesting "words" from the seniors at Itron.

Things were good at Itron until 2011 but I think in recent years the government noticed lack of value and cut back on many of the projects so Itron started struggling with losses. Many of my hard-working and efficient colleagues started leaving in recent years.

Itron has many bits and pieces that are not working well together and the CEO does not even know that some of these bits exist! The CEO only manages the company stock and couldnt care less about the body of the company. You will receive 2 emails a year form the CEO who does not know where his email goes!

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should consider rebuilding the company and shut down the offices that are not attached to the rest of the company. They should hire young professional active managers to improve the quality of work. They should push senior employees to actively take part in the work.

The consulting department is just horrible

ProsOffice furniture and equipment are good and the office environment is clean which is typical for consulting firms but nothing other than that is a pro.

ConsDisrespectful seniors
    No training for the job
    Slurs at the workplace
    Losing market-share
    Limited to very specific projects which are dissapearing as the state of California is changing its incentive policy
    Lousy managers that only seek time to pass time and get paid

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider having an HR employee in the office to monitor the office environment

Lost Cause

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Spokane, WA (US)

ProsVery friendly, warm people. My supervisor is great.

ConsBig pay inequities, poor company performance means little to no annual bonus or merit payout. No career plan. No coaching or mentoring. There would not be time anyway, since you are to busy doing your current job.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt takes the whole company to be a successfully one, not just a select few.

Large Corporate company losing site of their employee morale and happiness to make stockholders richer.

(Current Employee)

ProsPay, Benefits - though slowly declining.
    Some flexibility offered, some telecommuting though not consistent with this offering even within the same teams.

ConsHas fully taken on the DO MORE WITH LESS mentality. Just because revenue was inflated 1-2 years from GOV funding, we shouldn't act like a starving company with our 2+billion in revenue.

Lose employees though they never replace. Just give people more work load. Management doesn't fight for their teams or get job duties out of their department that belong somewhere else. Sometimes feels like mid management is just fluffing their stats to look good to upper mgmt.

Lost 1 personal holiday this year - No accrued sick leave program, no performance raises or delayed - why strive for high marks on annual review with no benefit?

Little communication or leadership from management.

No team building activities or morale boosting events.

Way too many jobs duties assigned to each employee to ever be able to do efficient and effectively. Constant feeling of failure because you can never keep up, even for the best employees. You just know mgmt wants you to work 60+ hours per week.

NO Training department. Customers have little or no way to get training on products. Major Itron Gap where customers pay price. (This could bring in a lot of revenue.)

Training for new employees is horrible. Felt like I was dropped in the middle of the ocean for the first year to just "figure out how to get to shore."

Work here if you want to sit in a corporate cubicle (your bubble) with no fun, excitement, or coworker morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people to mgmt just because they have been here for 20 years, many of them should NEVER be in that position. Find leaders, not managers.

Gradually bringing new technologies to the industry.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMature corporation, industry leader.
    Take proactive actions to reorg and improve efficiency.
    Nice people.

ConsStill slow decision making.

Finally turning around management

ProsInternational company, amazing coworkers, good pay for Spokane

ConsNot enough investing in growth and development

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're not comfortable managing or directing people, you shouldn't be a manager or director.

It was a good career experience

Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

ProsManagers were approachable and are good career mentors. I have a flexible work hours.

ConsIm a Canada based employee for a US Based company. There's no much room for growth for me.

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!