Itron

www.itron.com
Employer Engaged

Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been there for more than 5 years. The people there are great to work with and very helpful. I've enjoyed pay increases and bonuses on an annual basis. The benefits are excellent. I love to travel and my job allows that 40-45 weeks a year.

Cons

Technology is cutting edge and you have to be a self-motivator to keep up. Opportunities are available, but you have to apply for them. Work pace can be brutal at times.

Don't get stuck in the rut, consider other ways of doing things.

Good Smart ppl love this job

Current Employee - Intern IV in Waseca, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Intern IV in Waseca, MN (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good people, heavy community involvement, smart people, give scholarships and believes highly in education

Cons

honestly if i was gonna say anything they could use more eye candy walking around

Great changes taking place

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There has been a lot of change in management lately, but I think it's very much for the better. A lot of people were in roles that they were grandfathered into due to tenture, but had no business or aptitude for that kind of role. The new management is looking at things with a clean pair of eyes, and initiating good changes. I'm very excited about the future.

Cons

Corporate communication regarding changes and direction is kind of slow coming. Also, there are so many layers of management, it's hard to navigate sometimes.

Keep the changes exciting and fresh. Everyone working here has been craving changes and inspiration for a long time.

Chaotic lawless offices!

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Itron offers paycheck, healthcare, and benefits so it is better than being unemployed

Cons

Complete chaos! It feels like working in a western movie. Nobody follows the law in itron. If you talk about law, management laughs at you. Then in every meeting they wonder why the company is not performing well.

US has law so Itron should follow the law.

Racial bias... Poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Itron

Pros

None that I noticed when I worked there but now I know some connections that I made are quite useful.

Cons

The upper management in itron are all 60 y.o. male rednecks that promotes racial bias under cover. Some lower managers hire minorities (females, ethnic minorities, foreigners) not knowing the company's non-written policy and trouble starts there!
    A recent outcome is that itron already segregated 2 offices (Davis, CA and I think Berkeley, CA) by firing or forcing minorities to leave or work remotely.
    Overall, not a good place for females, minorities, foreigners, etc.

Advice to CEO: Segregation is not a solution to itrons problems.... Changing every single person in management is!

Incompetent Management

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Do yourself a huge favor and keep looking.

Cons

Incompetent management, poor planning, zero training, unsafe (electrically) environment, dwindling benefits.

Hard work gets no reward and maybe gets you fired by a manager who is worried you'll replace him. The way to get along is politics. Kiss up to your manager and do no more work than he tells you to. Don't take any initiative. Take plenty of time to shoot the breeze with everyone in the building.

Do a total housecleaning of all management. If necessary, get contractors to accomplish this.

I was a product manager.

Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very bright team, solid technology, really nice people.

Cons

I found the Oakland office to be very quiet and frankly kind of boring.

None.

This companies strengths are the people in the field

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Outstanding products and service. The hands-on people are very good.

Cons

Management left a lot to be desrired

People skills are vital to someone in management

I loved working at Iron, I started with them when they very young and got to grow with then for 25 years.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I wore many "hats" during my working years at Itron. It was a great learning experience and opportunity for personal and professional growth. Itron felt like family in a way and I wanted to make sure I did everything to make the company successful. It was a struggle at times as we grew so quickly and with any high tech company change was the name of the game. Being flexible and willing to work long hard hours sometimes was a real challenge but well worth the growth and learning opportunities I was exposed to.

Cons

I was able to developed my many leadership skills. Itron always offered its employees very good benefits over the years.

Acquisitions were always a challenge as we grew. New management did not always understand what some employees did because it was so different from what they were used to. I think it is really important to try to spend a little more time in this area so they are better able to manage employees and processes.

Slur-Alert! Slur-Alert!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

If you are good at lobbying and have good communication skills you don't need to work much at Itron. You will be evaluated based on other factors not how much work you have done! All I can say is working hard gets you nowhere at Itron so just try to connect with the right people internally to succeed!

Cons

Itron has hired many state government lay-offs over the years many of whom were laid off because of behavior issues. Needless to say that you will hear racial slurs, will be discriminated against, and your work will be sabotaged on daily basis in Itron. Such incidences are so common that HR considers them as non-fixable! So all you can do is to avoid troubling employees or to leave the company.

The HR employees and managers pretend they do not hear these slurs because they know they cant fire more than 50% of the employees! At the same time, You cant blame the HR because control of the situation is already out of their hands and they rather dont open the can of worms.

Instead of covering-up the office mess, try to correct it.