Itron

www.itron.com

Itron Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 5 reviews)

• Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • India (Energy) business being deliberately killed (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid

Manager (Current Employee) Paris (France)

ProsPeople, Experience, Global, Manufacturing, Solid

ConsConservative, Slow to respond to the market

This is a wonderful company that sees the benefit of being fresh and on the game

Engineer (Former Employee) Jackson, MS (US)

ProsThe company is doing what it needs to do to stay very close to the international market, and anticipating their needs.

ConsThe company is a transition and some of the better employees are not being utilized.

Advice to Senior ManagementA corporation is a living entity that thrives on its employees; allow the corporation to grow in quality and learn quality is not the bottom line.

Itron is a bizarre company in Raleigh - the red headed step-child

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsFriendly co-workers. Decent pay.

ConsOffice is in not the best neighborhood - they hire a security guard to watch the parking lot during winter months when people leave in the dark. Also, despite promises otherwise to build Raleigh, have laid off, terminated, failed to renew, or have resign a good number of engineers in firmware and test.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not let Occonnee be the center of the universe. Bring more to Raleigh.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun while it lasted-Roller Coaster every two years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Liberty Lake, WA (US)

ProsThe people (peers) are great. When the times are good, the job is fun.

ConsEvery two years there is a layoff so they can "gracefully" eliminate people. It is always called a "restructure". Executive management cannot lead by example, since they spend and tell everyone else to cutback. Ask them how many fly coach overseas on a company bought ticket...

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what you want you wan to do when you grow up. Ask what Leroy would do! (Previous Chairman of Board)

challenging but leave you very satisfied

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) West Union, SC (US)

ProsIt is a global company.

ConsDemands what area you work in. You have to meet your deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome with an open mind and contribute your opinions with your team.

Too Much Politics forcing competent people to Quit..... Leading towards a Downfall

Sales (Current Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsGood History, used to be a good Company in Actaris times.. Now nothing more that property of few Politicians

ConsPoor Talent Retention, Lacking market Focus, Too much Politics.. India (Energy) business being deliberately killed.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake-up , your Political Mid management is Looting the company and forcing Good people to leave

Great product. Unique culture. Still Made n USA

ProsMy experience at Itron was positive. There is no perfect company of course so anyone who doesn't find good in a company is looking for the perfect company. Itron has great technology, they have worked hard to keep things "Made in the USA" when most other smart grid companies have shipped things to China or Mexico where it's been proven the quality and reliability of smart metering is significantly less. If you have a Itron meter it's quality. Like most companies they were hit with downturn in sales due to many factors beyond their control. Overall when things were rolling and sales up, my time there was great. Management tries to give people opportunity and some work life balance.

ConsBecause it's a mid sized company and sales are not predictable things do feel unstable when sales are down. Also cross training and development of other experience an you are hired for isn't easy to get. I think there is a lot of talent there that should be developed more.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a robust University recruiting program to help fill the difficult to find engineering talent that is needed. If you do that then also support the managers with resources to train the new grads. This will pay of 10 fold as there is a lack of available talent for the complex technical needs Itron has. After doing this change your compensation system to allow out of cycle raises to these engineers. You don't want to invest in new grads, train them on your dime only then to lose them to other companies when they offer them a 20-30% increase 3 yrs later. Technical talent goes up in value rapidly so small 1-5% raises won't work. You will lose this talent quickly if you don't keep their salaries inline with the market. Final suggestion is to formally cross train other employees so they stay challenged and gain more experience. In doing this you will profit from employees who have a broader scope of expertise and in turn that employee will want to stay with e company.

Once great place to be - Now more and more depressing

ProsGreat employees. Lots of talented people that I enjoy working with.

ConsVery depressing:
    Summer 2012 - layoffs
    Early 2013 - wage freeze: No raises regardless of annual review results
    Fall 2013 - another round of layoffs
    Early 2014 - announced that the layoffs will continue and they haven't finalized the list.

Good news is a fading memory at this point.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale is suffering. I hear more and more dark humor about the state of our jobs and the company. I love what I do but I can no longer tell my friends that this is a good place to work. PLEASE do something to show that you care about the employees. Right now, it feels like we're being sacrificed to the shareholders.

Quality Engineer (Former Employee) Liberty Lake, WA (US)

ProsPleasant work environment.
    Very friendly people.

ConsLuck of direction and support

Advice to Senior ManagementStrategic focus

Integrated, Tested and Repaired Power meter with Smart module integrated into them (cellular Phone modules).

Machine Operator/Integration Technician/RMA Technician (Former Employee) Flowood, MS (US)

ProsAt the time it was a company with large growth potential.

ConsWe were bought out by Itron Inc to discontinue our product that was there completion.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere was a lot of other product we had going for us besides the Smart Meter Module. Like the Grid Router and the DCX ((Direct Connect eXternal) box that could be connected to lots of product besides the power meter, like water meters gas meters etc...

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!