Itron

Updated 21 November 2014
Updated 21 November 2014
2.4

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle (in 7 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Tattooed on my arm "READ ONLINE REVIEWS" after working for Itron!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Nothing more than a paycheck and if you are interested you can teach yourself in the time you have there. If you are junior you will work more than 50 hours and will learn a lot.

Cons

I literally tattooed on my arm "READ ONLINE REVIEWS" because I would have never joined Itron if I had read their glassdoor reviews.

90% of seniors are hired as government lobbyist and you will not learn anything from them. With so many "lobbyists", there is usually lack of work and Itron pushes government to create more work out of already won projects instead of trying to win more. You will be blamed for not working and lobbyists are promoted after the make up 100 lies!!

Itron suffers from terrible management. Managers keep making false promises that management is turning around and new work is coming when everybody knows they are not telling the truth.

Management and other employees frequently talk behind your back and take any opportunity to make you look bad. They tell you one thing and report another. You cant do anything to stop them so your only option is to leave.

Government does not offer itron any more projects because of bad previous experience. You cant do much when you have 2 months to get a task done and your manager tells you about it 1 week before the deadline!! Then he lies to you that it was assigned last week (when you are sure it was not) and lies to upper management that this guy missed the deadline because of his poor performance.

Dont make false promises of management turning around. In the past few years, everything in Itron turned around except management!

I was a product manager.

Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very bright team, solid technology, really nice people.

Cons

I found the Oakland office to be very quiet and frankly kind of boring.

None.

This companies strengths are the people in the field

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding products and service. The hands-on people are very good.

Cons

Management left a lot to be desrired

People skills are vital to someone in management

Unprofessional and hostile environment!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Not much, only a paycheck! Good if you cant find any other job.
    As far as I know, most senior employees work at Itron because they cant find any other job.

Cons

1. Terribly managed company. Nobody knows who is who, not even the upper management.
    2. Anybody can insult you at Itron and get away with it. If you report to HR, they will only help retaliate against you! It is a mess.
    3. Only junior employees work, so if you are a junior, you have to work double time to make up for seniors not working.
    4. Work is boring and monotonous.
    5. If you end up in a bad Itron office you will hear slurs every day! Depends on your luck but you can do your research ahead of time.
    6. Unprofessional environment. You get the feeling you have gone back to grade school.

1. Management needs to be turned around. Hire some successful outsider managers to help improve the company.
    2. Spend at least 1% of your time to care about employees not the stock-market!

Many stay away of Itron and for good reason!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Competitive benefits and payment (although not more than competitors)

Cons

I worked or I am working in Human Resources at Itron (trying to keep anonymity).

1. Managers at Itron use HR employees as a shield all the time. Managers try to hide behind HR employees and use (or abuse) them in difficult situations. You will look bad in front of employees, colleagues, and even yourself. They make decisions on their own and blame it on HR most of the time!

2. As an HR employee, you have to deal with a lot of employee frictions in Itron offices. Use of slurs were reported but not often since I joined. However, derogatory comments, ridicule, offensive behavior, employee clashes, GRIT, and office frictions were reported VERY VERY OFTEN, 4 or 5 times more than my last employer. In majority of these cases, you have to cover-up for the employer and pretend everything is alright and nothing really happened.

3. Itron does not care much about employee comfort, employee morale, etc. To upper management, it is survival that maters.

4. It is difficult to recruit for Itron for senior positions. Offers are usually turned down and you look bad for not being able to hire.

5. Shady promotions are very common. You will see many employees who work hard (maybe even 60 hours a week) and they are stuck at the same spot for years, but some others with effective work of less than 15-20 hours a week get promotion after promotion.

6- A major problem of working for Itron is that you will get involved in a bunch of things that are not morally right just because your management wants you to do them. You will always have a feeling of guilt and will always have problems with your colleagues.

7- Some long-tenure employees have grown beyond control of managers with their circle of friends. Managers don't deal with them in fear of retaliation and have HR employees deal with them from time to time. Later, the managers cave and you will be retaliated against!

I think Itron needs more active management and regular visits of offices by upper management.

Anti-Semites and proud of it!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Good for a short stay in between jobs or if you really cannot find a job in bad economy.

Cons

1. I dont know how they hired in Itron that many employees (including HR) turned out to be anti-Semite! I dont think it is by accident. It must have been directed somewhere up in the company, maybe even by the CEO. You will hear a lot of antisemitic and neonazi conversations and you have to nod along!!

2. Managers constantly use security equipment to listen to your personal conversations and read your personal emails, etc., to gossip with their friends in the office! Managers dont take work seriously and take their stay in Itron as fun.

Take work seriously!

Slur-Alert! Slur-Alert!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

If you are good at lobbying and have good communication skills you don't need to work much at Itron. You will be evaluated based on other factors not how much work you have done! All I can say is working hard gets you nowhere at Itron so just try to connect with the right people internally to succeed!

Cons

Itron has hired many state government lay-offs over the years many of whom were laid off because of behavior issues. Needless to say that you will hear racial slurs, will be discriminated against, and your work will be sabotaged on daily basis in Itron. Such incidences are so common that HR considers them as non-fixable! So all you can do is to avoid troubling employees or to leave the company.

The HR employees and managers pretend they do not hear these slurs because they know they cant fire more than 50% of the employees! At the same time, You cant blame the HR because control of the situation is already out of their hands and they rather dont open the can of worms.

Instead of covering-up the office mess, try to correct it.

Used to be Itron until 2008, Now it is I-SLUR!

I worked at Itron full-time

Pros

Itron was a great place to work for until 2008.

Cons

Itron is a sad story. It used to be a great smart-grid company with talented people when I joined. However, many good employees left Itron and weak employees reached high positions in recent years. The upper management did a terrible job of letting super weak and non-working employees reach high positions and now it is too late. These employees didn't work, didn't let others work, and didn't even let us hire strong candidates for open positions! They wanted to fill all positions with weak candidates (mostly their friends!?) that were not a threat to them. All they did was talk and talk and I never saw them work during the years! If you get a management position, you have to put up with the weak non-working employees that they let you hire!

To be successful in current Itron, you should NOT work hard because current employees will gang up against you and do anything they can to make you leave. The majority of the performance reviews are based on relations not your actual work and the harder you work, the worse they get. Simply, "Itron will not evaluate you based on the work you do". You will only be promoted If you are friends with the gang in the office. It is all politics that matters not work. I believe the upper management is aware of the situation but they have more critical financial issues to worry about currently.

I used to work for Itron a while back before they revoked my visa and I had to go back to India. During the more recent years I heard many derogatory comments about me and my country and heard lots of slurs at Itron. It became a common pattern that I wouldn't even notice it anymore until they revoked my visa and did not give me time to find another job. They did it on purpose!

I do not recommend Itron to non-residents, smart young professionals, hard-working people, minorities, and junior employees.

I recommend Itron to friends of the current weak employees that are leading in Itron.

Find the big-talk no-work employees and lay them off. Hire some strong qualified employees for high positions and management positions.

I loved working at Iron, I started with them when they very young and got to grow with then for 25 years.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I wore many "hats" during my working years at Itron. It was a great learning experience and opportunity for personal and professional growth. Itron felt like family in a way and I wanted to make sure I did everything to make the company successful. It was a struggle at times as we grew so quickly and with any high tech company change was the name of the game. Being flexible and willing to work long hard hours sometimes was a real challenge but well worth the growth and learning opportunities I was exposed to.

Cons

I was able to developed my many leadership skills. Itron always offered its employees very good benefits over the years.

Acquisitions were always a challenge as we grew. New management did not always understand what some employees did because it was so different from what they were used to. I think it is really important to try to spend a little more time in this area so they are better able to manage employees and processes.

Good employer that's facing market challenges

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Great people, reasonably challenging work

Cons

Open up the top ranks to outsiders and new ideas