Itron

Updated 18 December 2014
Updated 18 December 2014
2.4

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle (in 8 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be Itron until 2008, Now it is I-SLUR!

I worked at Itron full-time

Pros

Itron was a great place to work for until 2008.

Cons

Itron is a sad story. It used to be a great smart-grid company with talented people when I joined. However, many good employees left Itron and weak employees reached high positions in recent years. The upper management did a terrible job of letting super weak and non-working employees reach high positions and now it is too late. These employees didn't work, didn't let others work, and didn't even let us hire strong candidates for open positions! They wanted to fill all positions with weak candidates (mostly their friends!?) that were not a threat to them. All they did was talk and talk and I never saw them work during the years! If you get a management position, you have to put up with the weak non-working employees that they let you hire!

To be successful in current Itron, you should NOT work hard because current employees will gang up against you and do anything they can to make you leave. The majority of the performance reviews are based on relations not your actual work and the harder you work, the worse they get. Simply, "Itron will not evaluate you based on the work you do". You will only be promoted If you are friends with the gang in the office. It is all politics that matters not work. I believe the upper management is aware of the situation but they have more critical financial issues to worry about currently.

I used to work for Itron a while back before they revoked my visa and I had to go back to India. During the more recent years I heard many derogatory comments about me and my country and heard lots of slurs at Itron. It became a common pattern that I wouldn't even notice it anymore until they revoked my visa and did not give me time to find another job. They did it on purpose!

I do not recommend Itron to non-residents, smart young professionals, hard-working people, minorities, and junior employees.

I recommend Itron to friends of the current weak employees that are leading in Itron.

Find the big-talk no-work employees and lay them off. Hire some strong qualified employees for high positions and management positions.

I loved working at Iron, I started with them when they very young and got to grow with then for 25 years.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I wore many "hats" during my working years at Itron. It was a great learning experience and opportunity for personal and professional growth. Itron felt like family in a way and I wanted to make sure I did everything to make the company successful. It was a struggle at times as we grew so quickly and with any high tech company change was the name of the game. Being flexible and willing to work long hard hours sometimes was a real challenge but well worth the growth and learning opportunities I was exposed to.

Cons

I was able to developed my many leadership skills. Itron always offered its employees very good benefits over the years.

Acquisitions were always a challenge as we grew. New management did not always understand what some employees did because it was so different from what they were used to. I think it is really important to try to spend a little more time in this area so they are better able to manage employees and processes.

Needs a strong CEO to clean it up or it will go broke soon

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

1. If you can join one of the cults in the company, not much work and easy paycheck.
    2. Depending on your office you may run into good friendly colleagues too.

Cons

1. Because of weak upper management in Itron, some senior employees have literally formed cults inside Itron offices. These cults run Itron offices and to be successful at Itron, you should forget about the managers and join one of these cults from the first day. Its almost like prison philosophy. The cult leaders are much stronger than the managers in the office so be careful not to step on their toes. Most managers are actually like cheerleaders in Itron and are not involved in the work. If you cant join a cult, they will not let you be successful and they are VERY strong. Even the managers dont mess with them. They can easily do anything they want from misleading you, to giving you false negative reviews, etc.

2. A major drawback of working at Itron is that if you stay for a long time, you will have trouble finding your next job in the energy industry. There are many pissed-off ex-Itron-employees in the energy industry that will not let you get a job at their company.

3. Itron is formed from many different departments that are not working well together. In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security. They have some smart people there and the rest of Itron is just slacking. If I were the CEO, I would keep software and get rid of the rest.

4. Competitors have thrown Itron to the sidelines. Although they blame it on tough competition and bad market, the lack of success is mostly because of poor internal management. The management does not care much about employees or even Itron's success. To simplify, Itron is poorly managed and poorly managed companies are destined to fail.

5. I see previous reviews have complained about slurs at workplace, but my experience in Itron is that it really depends on your office. There are some offices in Itron known for that stuff and you only have to avoid people from those offices. Having said that, Itron belongs to a rare breed of red-neck renewable companies and it is definitely not a good place for minorities.

Use strong military-type managers to clean up the company from cults.

Good employer that's facing market challenges

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Great people, reasonably challenging work

Cons

Open up the top ranks to outsiders and new ideas

Not the right place for professionals

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much. The paycheck was not bad. Good place for retired folks who want to spend time and get paid until the end of their career.

Cons

This company has a bad reputation in the renewable industry so if you want to stay in renewable industry in the future, you may reconsider.
    Expect to be ignored at expositions and conferences when you show up at Itron booth. I used to work with them a while years ago and after that, i had to convince people at interviews that I was not associated with them and just worked there for a while. If you stayed there for a short period and you are planning to stay in the renewable business, I recommend removing Itron from your resume. They will not tell you but will look the other way when they see that name.

Consider reconstructing the management and use stronger and more active managers.

Good place for seniors and retired folks, not a good place for minorities!

Current Employee - Energy Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Energy Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy paycheck while government still contracts this company. That may not last long though as the government cut back on many projects.

Cons

The company is a government contractor and the main work is generating long, boring, and useless reports for the state government. Lack of efficiency and too many senior employees who do not actively take part in the job cause writing reports to take much longer than expected which is a huge waste of government money. These reports do not have much value but you get your paycheck and you can be happy with it. The easy paycheck however comes with a package of rude and offensive colleague behavior. You can expect to hear a long of interesting "words" from the seniors at Itron.

Things were good at Itron until 2011 but I think in recent years the government noticed lack of value and cut back on many of the projects so Itron started struggling with losses. Many of my hard-working and efficient colleagues started leaving in recent years.

Itron has many bits and pieces that are not working well together and the CEO does not even know that some of these bits exist! The CEO only manages the company stock and couldnt care less about the body of the company. You will receive 2 emails a year form the CEO who does not know where his email goes!

They should consider rebuilding the company and shut down the offices that are not attached to the rest of the company. They should hire young professional active managers to improve the quality of work. They should push senior employees to actively take part in the work.

The consulting department is just horrible

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Office furniture and equipment are good and the office environment is clean which is typical for consulting firms but nothing other than that is a pro.

Cons

Disrespectful seniors
    No training for the job
    Slurs at the workplace
    Losing market-share
    Limited to very specific projects which are dissapearing as the state of California is changing its incentive policy
    Lousy managers that only seek time to pass time and get paid

Consider having an HR employee in the office to monitor the office environment

Large Corporate company losing site of their employee morale and happiness to make stockholders richer.

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Pay, Benefits - though slowly declining.
    Some flexibility offered, some telecommuting though not consistent with this offering even within the same teams.

Cons

Has fully taken on the DO MORE WITH LESS mentality. Just because revenue was inflated 1-2 years from GOV funding, we shouldn't act like a starving company with our 2+billion in revenue.

Lose employees though they never replace. Just give people more work load. Management doesn't fight for their teams or get job duties out of their department that belong somewhere else. Sometimes feels like mid management is just fluffing their stats to look good to upper mgmt.

Lost 1 personal holiday this year - No accrued sick leave program, no performance raises or delayed - why strive for high marks on annual review with no benefit?

Little communication or leadership from management.

No team building activities or morale boosting events.

Way too many jobs duties assigned to each employee to ever be able to do efficient and effectively. Constant feeling of failure because you can never keep up, even for the best employees. You just know mgmt wants you to work 60+ hours per week.

NO Training department. Customers have little or no way to get training on products. Major Itron Gap where customers pay price. (This could bring in a lot of revenue.)

Training for new employees is horrible. Felt like I was dropped in the middle of the ocean for the first year to just "figure out how to get to shore."

Work here if you want to sit in a corporate cubicle (your bubble) with no fun, excitement, or coworker morale.

Stop promoting people to mgmt just because they have been here for 20 years, many of them should NEVER be in that position. Find leaders, not managers.

Lost Cause

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very friendly, warm people. My supervisor is great.

Cons

Big pay inequities, poor company performance means little to no annual bonus or merit payout. No career plan. No coaching or mentoring. There would not be time anyway, since you are to busy doing your current job.

It takes the whole company to be a successfully one, not just a select few.

Finally turning around management

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

International company, amazing coworkers, good pay for Spokane

Cons

Not enough investing in growth and development

If you're not comfortable managing or directing people, you shouldn't be a manager or director.