Itron Reviews

Updated 24 August 2014
Updated 24 August 2014

2.5

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 5 reviews)

• Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • India (Energy) business being deliberately killed (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Itron is a bizarre company in Raleigh - the red headed step-child

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Decent pay.

Cons

Office is in not the best neighborhood - they hire a security guard to watch the parking lot during winter months when people leave in the dark. Also, despite promises otherwise to build Raleigh, have laid off, terminated, failed to renew, or have resign a good number of engineers in firmware and test.

Do not let Occonnee be the center of the universe. Bring more to Raleigh.

Fun while it lasted-Roller Coaster every two years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people (peers) are great. When the times are good, the job is fun.

Cons

Every two years there is a layoff so they can "gracefully" eliminate people. It is always called a "restructure". Executive management cannot lead by example, since they spend and tell everyone else to cutback. Ask them how many fly coach overseas on a company bought ticket...

Figure out what you want you wan to do when you grow up. Ask what Leroy would do! (Previous Chairman of Board)

challenging but leave you very satisfied

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  West Union, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in West Union, SC (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a global company.

Cons

Demands what area you work in. You have to meet your deadlines.

Come with an open mind and contribute your opinions with your team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too Much Politics forcing competent people to Quit..... Leading towards a Downfall

Current Employee - Sales  in  Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Sales in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good History, used to be a good Company in Actaris times.. Now nothing more that property of few Politicians

Cons

Poor Talent Retention, Lacking market Focus, Too much Politics.. India (Energy) business being deliberately killed.

Wake-up , your Political Mid management is Looting the company and forcing Good people to leave

Once great place to be - Now more and more depressing

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great employees. Lots of talented people that I enjoy working with.

Cons

Very depressing:
    Summer 2012 - layoffs
    Early 2013 - wage freeze: No raises regardless of annual review results
    Fall 2013 - another round of layoffs
    Early 2014 - announced that the layoffs will continue and they haven't finalized the list.

Good news is a fading memory at this point.

Morale is suffering. I hear more and more dark humor about the state of our jobs and the company. I love what I do but I can no longer tell my friends that this is a good place to work. PLEASE do something to show that you care about the employees. Right now, it feels like we're being sacrificed to the shareholders.

Great product. Unique culture. Still Made n USA

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

My experience at Itron was positive. There is no perfect company of course so anyone who doesn't find good in a company is looking for the perfect company. Itron has great technology, they have worked hard to keep things "Made in the USA" when most other smart grid companies have shipped things to China or Mexico where it's been proven the quality and reliability of smart metering is significantly less. If you have a Itron meter it's quality. Like most companies they were hit with downturn in sales due to many factors beyond their control. Overall when things were rolling and sales up, my time there was great. Management tries to give people opportunity and some work life balance.

Cons

Because it's a mid sized company and sales are not predictable things do feel unstable when sales are down. Also cross training and development of other experience an you are hired for isn't easy to get. I think there is a lot of talent there that should be developed more.

Invest in a robust University recruiting program to help fill the difficult to find engineering talent that is needed. If you do that then also support the managers with resources to train the new grads. This will pay of 10 fold as there is a lack of available talent for the complex technical needs Itron has. After doing this change your compensation system to allow out of cycle raises to these engineers. You don't want to invest in new grads, train them on your dime only then to lose them to other companies when they offer them a 20-30% increase 3 yrs later. Technical talent goes up in value rapidly so small 1-5% raises won't work. You will lose this talent quickly if you don't keep their salaries inline with the market. Final suggestion is to formally cross train other employees so they stay challenged and gain more experience. In doing this you will profit from employees who have a broader scope of expertise and in turn that employee will want to stay with e company.

Former Employee - Quality Engineer  in  Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Pleasant work environment.
    Very friendly people.

Cons

Luck of direction and support

Strategic focus

Integrated, Tested and Repaired Power meter with Smart module integrated into them (cellular Phone modules).

Former Employee - Machine Operator/Integration Technician/RMA Technician  in  Flowood, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Machine Operator/Integration Technician/RMA Technician in Flowood, MS (US)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At the time it was a company with large growth potential.

Cons

We were bought out by Itron Inc to discontinue our product that was there completion.

There was a lot of other product we had going for us besides the Smart Meter Module. Like the Grid Router and the DCX ((Direct Connect eXternal) box that could be connected to lots of product besides the power meter, like water meters gas meters etc...

Itron lacked training classes that were necessary

Former Employee - Undisclosed  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Undisclosed in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time for less than a year

Pros

Team of very friendly people

Cons

Training skills from professional to day to day were really lacking.

Try job sharing as a beginning for training

Used to be great, now struggling

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pleasant work environment, great people, little politics.
    Comparatively large number of enthusiastic employees with initiative in lower ranks.
    Promotion policies are good up to middle management.

Cons

Company is currently undergoing crisis for a lack of strategic focus. Trying to "me-too" with competitors instead of assembling talent to tackle Smart Grid proactively.

Senior management is mostly male and white, tired, lacks original thinking, indecisive, depressing for troops. Does not "get" software, Seems more focused on satisfying stock analysts by laying off low-level staff than sticking to a strategy.

Clean out dead wood at HQ. Promote younger, more female managers into senior management, or hire an outsider or two.

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!