Ixia Reviews

Updated 24 October 2014
Updated 24 October 2014
3.2

Bethany Mayer

Pros
  • You will get to work on latest cutting edge technologies (in 10 reviews)

• Great talent and cut edge technology (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Problem with work life balance and salary compare to that is low (in 18 reviews)

• Long Hours, took a long time to get more staff in to ease the workload (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

I like my job

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer II in Calabasas, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer II in Calabasas, CA (US)

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like my job and I have no issues with management. Assignments are challenging and interesting - but you have to like the challenge.

Cons

Does anyone know where we are going?

I think management is on the right track though.. I can't advice.

Great place to lean new things

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will not get bored since product covers so many things...

Cons

some product lines has great response for any request, but some are not... you totally feel isolated.

8 years at Ixia, 3 years Snr Support Engineer, 5 years Snr Systems Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I worked at Ixia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great products, never boring, as I was in a Technical role it was very interesting. over a majority of my time the mangement were great, products are fantastic and have alot of technical depth to learn. Good frequent trips to the US, but this was when the company was smaller, not sure how many trips there would be now for the UK based employees.

Cons

Long Hours, took a long time to get more staff in to ease the workload. work life balance is a challenge to get right, working remote has become easier of the last 2 years I was in the Job.

Look after your employees, take on more staff to help the overworked remaining Engineers.

Mostly positive work environment currently suffering from low morale

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Ixia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly positive work environment where you could talk to management and they would try their best to help you with your goals and career objectives. A lot of free snacks and decent benefits.

Cons

Long hours. Low morale due to layoffs.

Better strategic planning. LISTEN to the employees - while some of the feedback may just be gripes or requests that are not feasible given the current status of the business, there are a lot of smart people with plenty of good ideas that could help the company succeed.

Very nice place to start .

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Bucharest (Romania)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Bucharest (Romania)

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good work/life balance.
    Nice place to learn.
    A lot of competent people.

Cons

Directors are not willing to change things that are getting worse due to self esteem.

Great Sales Opportunity!

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Calabasas, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Calabasas, CA (US)

I worked at Ixia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Never a dull moment as you get to work with companies in test/validation of the latest technical trends. Opportunity to make great commission plus yearly stock bonus. Great hands off management that you get to run and manage your territory like your own business and have direct impact on the outcome of your success. Definitely feel they pay higher than comparable sales positions.

Cons

Sometimes you feel like you are on an island since management doesn't provide much feedback. As long as you make your number they really don't bother. No real guidance for career development/advancement. Tendency to plateau and feel like there is no other consideration to offer new challenges to keep you motivated.

Shake up the sales organization a little and start defining some career paths or else people will start looking elsewhere!

Nice place, but poor organizational culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bucharest (Romania)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bucharest (Romania)

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits slightly above average. Environment is friendly, most of my co-workers became friends. Hours are flexible when work is scarce. Central location in a nice part of Bucharest.

Cons

When there is work to be done, which is most of the time, people are expected to do unpaid overtime and even work weekends. This stems mostly from unrealistic expectations and poor planning, as some projects failed targets from week one, but management can't (or rather, won't) adjust targets.

For a software engineer, work is generally bug fixing, with the occasional new feature needing to be implemented as designed (poorly) by a committee. The overall system architecture is mostly undocumented, with knowledge concentrated in a few key people. This also makes debugging frustrating, as sometimes days of debugging reveal that the problem is someone else's responsability. Equipment is scarce and engineers are often pressed by unrealistic time frames before someone else needs the particular setup.

Globally, there has been much change lately, with the acquisition of at least three companies in the past two and a half years. Each time higher ups makes speeches, talks about change, but at the lower levels that only means reshuffling of managers and slight panic as some people get kicked out.

Finally, there are a few bullies who are known to most engineers. They have a good reputation with management and leverage it to push decisions which are not always correct, while diverting failed results on other teams.

Some of the middle management in Bucharest is nothing more than a machine that forwards emails and makes bad jokes. I don't know how they are reviewed, but it seems like they add nothing of value.

Reviews for engineers should be more detailed. It seems that whatever the performance, feedback is mostly good, but adjustments in compensation differ considerably.

Get out before the next layoff

Current Employee - Architect in Calabasas, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Architect in Calabasas, CA (US)

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is clear that the HR department is creating glowing reviews to try and stem the tide of departures since the last layoff. I cannot count the number of critical people lost since the most recent purge. But these authors are certainly pros.

Cons

Reality. . . There has been and continues to be a lack of vision. Clearly management is out to protect their jobs at the expense of all those below them. The new CEO has her job cut out for her, but honestly she got hers coming in the door. If she can survive the first year, she should clear a cool million bucks, that might have been better spent retaining key people.

Research the market, understand the problems, and effectively solve those problems. Stop vying for the "bragging rights" and tossing money down the drain on pet projects. You bought a gold mine in Austin, and are driving away a most outstanding talent pool. Without the support of those key people you are doomed. Show people you value their service with money, not words. Good luck Bethany, you will need it. Perhaps you can purge the motivational destroyers that report to you.

Not the place to bee anymore!

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer, Team Lead
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer, Team Lead

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with latest technologies.
    The place where you can learn a lot.
    Good compensation and benefits.

Cons

Missing work life balance most of the time.
    Poor leadership and strategy.

Company needs leaders with vision.

Boundaries are important.

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great people! Every day offers new opportunities.

Cons

As long as you allow it, Ixia will allow you to work yourself into an early grave.

I'm hopeful that the new CEO coming on in September will be afforded a true opportunity to make a difference for the better of the company and employees.