J.B. Hunt

www.jbhunt.com

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
J.B. Hunt – US – “Corporate Office”

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III

John N. Roberts III

Pros
  • Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits(in 8 reviews)

• Learning experience and good work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Needs to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• Expected to Work Long hours and always on call(in 23 reviews)

Management doesn't listen and avoids conflict

ProsNothing good to say about the company.

ConsThe company expects a lot of work for very little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove pay and work/life balance or continue to lose talented frontline operators.

Brokerage Isn't for Everyone

Carrier Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsLaid back environment, constantly busy, increasing responsibility

ConsLong hours, pay doesn't commensurate with stress, incompetent people in Management and higher positions.

Great learning experience in dealing with and managing individuals, but with many long days and without growth potential

Fleet Manager (Former Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

ProsLots of responsibility early on. Will be "drinking from a fire hose". Gives you a chance to really develop and learn foundational elements about the industry. Good bonus when the company is doing well.

ConsThere really isn't much of a training program and what the training that is available is very disorganized. Lots of work and not many opportunities to move up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Home Depot account-Great place to work compared to other nearby companies.

Truck Driver (Current Employee) Van Buren, OH (US)

ProsHome every weekend and newer equipment. Dispatch tries to work with you when getting home and emergencies!

ConsTo many safety (Bendix, Braking to hard, Log reporting, Following Distance, Observations, Going into turns, Acceleration monitoring, etc....) monitoring advances that hinders judgement more than complementing it.

Pay

ProsUpward mobility is possible because people are always leaving or moving to the positions.

ConsExtremely low compared to responsibilities. Training is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse lower level managers to gain knowledge of what is happening in the field, specifically dealing with Final Mile

Your personal experience will EXTREMELY depend on the department you get into

Accounts Payable Office Assistant (Former Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

ProsIn general the benefits aren't too bad.
    If you're in the right area it is really easy to advance/move positions.
    Some of the people are really amazing to work with.

ConsMy department was awful. Seriously, other departments called us "The Morgue". Yeah. Team work was not at all encouraged, no talking to your coworkers, and if you tried to get to know people you would be taken into an office and "officially reprimanded" for wasting time. My coworkers (every single one of them) were just as miserable as I was and we all would describe our work as "The place dreams went to die." On the other side of that spectrum, I have friends that are still with the company that have enjoyed their entire experience. Your own experience will vary greatly depending on who you work for. Some of the managers there really will work their own butts off to advance your career. I would definitely recommend to not even consider it unless you're moving into a salaried position of some sort. Hourly rules are if you are 1 minute late, 4 times within a 6 week rolling period, you will actually acquire attendance points. Literally, 1 minute late. Being on time really wasn't an issue, but just knowing that you have ZERO flexibility? It was depressing just thinking about it. My manager actually told me once that because she was salary it didn't matter if she was 15 minutes late, or took a long lunch. No one tracked her time. It's definitely corporate, and I can't describe how many people I knew there that were in relationships with coworkers, and cheating on them with other coworkers. It's like a soap opera. And Friday jeans days are paid, every week. Rarely do you get a free jeans day, HOWEVER, the money does supposedly go to charity.

Advice to Senior ManagementI could go on forever. Really beef up your HR department and give them the power to make change within the company. When I tried discussing the issues we all had I was just told there wasn't anything they could do about it. Having your HR group really be proactive within the company could change a lot of dynamic.

Great place to advance in the transportation industry

CDP Investigator (Former Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

ProsHigh starting pay even as entry-level. Raises as you progress. Always opportunities to advance within the company. Helping drivers in need.

ConsStressful job requirements. Expected to hit goals that are a lot of time of your control. Having to deal with disgruntled drivers and companies.

Best of all big trucking companies

Inter-modal (Former Employee) Lithia Springs, GA (US)

ProsDecent pay, good miles, decent managers

ConsStill a bit typical, dispatchers will ignore you when there is a problem. Unkept promises

Advice to Senior ManagementFleet managers still act like they are above the drivers. Dont ignore us when we have an issue.

Good place to work if you are placed in the correct job position.

OFFICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

ProsPay and Bosses work with you when you have to take off unexpectedly to take care of important family matters.

ConsStressful place to work everyone is in a hurry .

Great Place to work

Pda (Current Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

ProsLots of room to move.

Cons401k could use some improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore cross training

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!