J.B. Hunt

Updated 15 August 2014

3.3

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III
John N. Roberts III

Pros
  • Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Learning experience and good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Needs to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Expected to Work Long hours and always on call (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Fleet Manager

Current Employee - Fleet Manager
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager

Pros

Relaxed environment. Potential for growth if you are willing to relocate or work in their corporate office in AR.

Cons

Very old fashioned culture. Long hours. Strict schedules.

Keep up with modern times

Inexperienced drivers may want to avoid...

Pros

Pay is right there, Decent benefits, Uniforms, Lots of safety training, Needless to say J.B. is all over the place, so, ability to transfer/ relocate

Cons

Equip. is not always well maintained (good luck if your truck goes to the Joppa Md. garage) As with many large company's, very often one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. To corporate, you are just a number. PERIOD! Easily replaced. All incidents are recorded, no matter how small, which can be grounds for dismissal (with mild accumulations) or, make you an unfavorable prospect to another Co. Unless you pretty well know your way around in this biz. and a particular position would be VERY convenient for you, i would strongly think twice about working for them! As one of the instructors said during orientation, "gentlemen, this is a hard job to get & an easy job to lose" Also, if you are serious about working for them, talk to at least 3-4 drivers from the terminal where you would be driving out of, & as always, google J.B. Hunt driver reviews...

Likely, this box doesn't have enough space.

Bad experience with J.B. Hunt

Current Employee - Fleet Manager  in  San Bernardino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in San Bernardino, CA (US)

Pros

Co-workers are great. they are very helpful.

Cons

Management lacks any kind of respect to its employees. My way or highway attitude. Management shows preference to white people.

Listen and be respectful to employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Shop Foreman  in  San Bernardino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Shop Foreman in San Bernardino, CA (US)

Pros

very fast pace environment. paid time off. vacation time.

Cons

standard repair times doesn't seem fair. no room for mistakes.turn and burn .over worked.

listen to what employees have to say .

JB Hunt Review

Current Employee - Fleet Manager  in  South Gate, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in South Gate, CA (US)

Pros

Definitely a lot of opportunities for growth within the company especially in operations in transportation logistics and other departments within the company.

Cons

Time-off policies differ with every department, since its a 24hour operation, time off is very strict. Work life balance is very poor. 50 hour work week mandatory

Pays the bills

Current Employee - Account Representative  in  Lowell, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Lowell, AR (US)

Pros

Learning experience and good work/life balance

Cons

Male dominated industry and not much advancement opportunities

Career planning and advancement support to employees

Intermodal Driver

Pros

The convenience of never being no more than 4 hrs from home! No touch freight. New Trucks are a plus as there is nothing older than 3 yrs.

Cons

You're just a number! FLEET Managers are a dime a dozen here. Just when you think you have one trained, they switch them out and bring in fresh meet!

Bring up the pay, and more people will stay! Do something with the crappie benefits too!

Good Job, Long hours

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Fair Compensation, Vacation, Full Benefits

Cons

Expected to Work Long hours and always on call

Work-life balance needs to be imporved

I enjoy my job and the people are wonderful

Current Employee - Account Representative  in  Lowell, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Lowell, AR (US)

Pros

My manager listens to me, I work in tight knit group people and we all cooperate and help one another, we have a common goal. I am allowed to take on additional projects to keep me busy, interested, and challenged. Plenty of room to grow if you start early in your career, and are willing to change departments every few years. The Account Representative position gives you the opportunity to build relationships with customers, and is very rewarding.

Cons

Very strict attendance policy for the position ofAccount Representative in Van Marketing Division. I see more people terminated for being consistently a few minutes late than for being subpar at the job. Do not stay in one position for more than 2 years if you want to move ahead in the organization and make J.B.Hunt a successful career. The Account Representative position takes about a year to learn and be comfortable doing. It is a very stressful job.

I am rated as a role model in the AR position. I am at the top of my game. I have been trying to get promoted for years, but I get feedback that I make too much for other departments to want to take me on, and my lack of experience working in other departments is hurting me. I got that too high salary because years ago I was asked to take a pay raise and commit to stay in the department for a few more years. It destroyed my chances at a career with JBHunt. I am repeatedly told a lateral move to get more experience in other departments would include a hefty pay cut. I am honest, loyal, and extremely intelligent. I have the respect and admiration of my peers. I am sad that I will have to leave a company I love in order to move forward in my career. I will miss you and you will replace me, but it will be very hard for you to find any one person to match my caliber and potential.

Good company. Challenging work. Great people.

Current Employee - Senior Programming Specialist  in  Lowell, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Programming Specialist in Lowell, AR (US)

Pros

Challenging work, great people, stable work environment. Pay is reasonable for the area.

Cons

Aggressive deadlines that are not realistic. Work life balance is not always honored. No real incentive to work harder. Employee ideas may be heard but they are not given any real consideration by upper management.

I don't mind working hard, but the long hours are burning me out. Give REAL incentive to work hard. A raise that barely covers the cost of living increase doesn't cut it. People need to feel valued, money is not always the answer but a lack of a reasonable raise speaks volumes to how we are valued.

Also, expand the career path. A decent developer with 10-15 years of experience will top out in career path easily. The only way to grow at that point is to go into management or leave the company. Those with a technical bent typically leave, I have seen us lose many great developers for this reason.

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!