J.B. Hunt

www.jbhunt.com

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
J.B. Hunt – US – “Corporate Office”

J.B. Hunt – US – “Corporate Office”

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III

John N. Roberts III

Pros
  • Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Learning experience and good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Needs to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Expected to Work Long hours and always on call (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Trapped by competence

Delta Center (Former Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

ProsGreat bonuses. Nice office. Good hours.

ConsIf you are good at your job, have a skillset they need, and work in the delta center, there you shall stay...

Good intentions but poor execution.

ProsPersonal growth, access to upper management, cleanliness and surrounding area.

ConsOver-worked and under-paid, not enough communication across teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more, communicate more, learn from the big companies, provide coffee in the break room at all times!

I enjoy my job and the people are wonderful

Account Representative (Current Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

ProsMy manager listens to me, I work in tight knit group people and we all cooperate and help one another, we have a common goal. I am allowed to take on additional projects to keep me busy, interested, and challenged. Plenty of room to grow if you start early in your career, and are willing to change departments every few years. The Account Representative position gives you the opportunity to build relationships with customers, and is very rewarding.

ConsVery strict attendance policy for the position ofAccount Representative in Van Marketing Division. I see more people terminated for being consistently a few minutes late than for being subpar at the job. Do not stay in one position for more than 2 years if you want to move ahead in the organization and make J.B.Hunt a successful career. The Account Representative position takes about a year to learn and be comfortable doing. It is a very stressful job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am rated as a role model in the AR position. I am at the top of my game. I have been trying to get promoted for years, but I get feedback that I make too much for other departments to want to take me on, and my lack of experience working in other departments is hurting me. I got that too high salary because years ago I was asked to take a pay raise and commit to stay in the department for a few more years. It destroyed my chances at a career with JBHunt. I am repeatedly told a lateral move to get more experience in other departments would include a hefty pay cut. I am honest, loyal, and extremely intelligent. I have the respect and admiration of my peers. I am sad that I will have to leave a company I love in order to move forward in my career. I will miss you and you will replace me, but it will be very hard for you to find any one person to match my caliber and potential.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company. Challenging work. Great people.

Senior Programming Specialist (Current Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

ProsChallenging work, great people, stable work environment. Pay is reasonable for the area.

ConsAggressive deadlines that are not realistic. Work life balance is not always honored. No real incentive to work harder. Employee ideas may be heard but they are not given any real consideration by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't mind working hard, but the long hours are burning me out. Give REAL incentive to work hard. A raise that barely covers the cost of living increase doesn't cut it. People need to feel valued, money is not always the answer but a lack of a reasonable raise speaks volumes to how we are valued.

Also, expand the career path. A decent developer with 10-15 years of experience will top out in career path easily. The only way to grow at that point is to go into management or leave the company. Those with a technical bent typically leave, I have seen us lose many great developers for this reason.

final mile

Local Truck Driver (Former Employee) Aurora, CO (US)

ProsSome good people you work with

ConsThey want you to work 12 to 14 hours a day and your pay never adds up. No one can fully explain how your pay is being broken down! You get written for just about everything even thing that is really out of your control. They are truly about making money for the company. Your pay changes week to week unless your there favorite.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take this job if you value your home life!!

A good place to work, good benefits, good opportunity to advance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

ProsLove the NW Arkansas area. Opportunity to advance or transfer out of jobs. Generally a nice place to work.

ConsI haven't found anything to be dissatisfied about.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with people. Clue them in on upcoming changes or directions.

My time at JB Hunt was very enjoyable and challenging. The experience I obtained while an Account Manager was valuable.

Account Manager (Former Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

ProsFast passed environment, benefits, the people.

ConsAt this time, I cannot list any.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery manager has his/her own management style and the result of their disposition is their own success or failure. JB Hunt had great management teams.

Not a good company to work for.

Fleet Manager (Former Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

ProsI started off as a FM on the OTR side of the company then was "promoted" to a special project manager position. Traveled a lot, and with experience gained. My next career path will be a walk in the park in comparison.

Consextremely long hours 5am-5pm, I worked with pop-up accounts and was basically working 7 days a week, pay was 33k so I was extremely underpaid. I knew this, asked for a raise/another manager to help out with day to day operations (at least a two man job). Little to no training, trial by fire mentality, and to be honest about everyone there was so miserable it was depressing to come into work with all the sad people around you. I had to run/workout during lunch to keep from getting fat and depressed like the people there.

Anyways, the company has great potential, but they are far from there. There is no team building, training, and an extreme lack of synergy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake you team out to lunch, have a softball or ultimate frisbee league, cookouts, anything to get people to be part of a team not just a miserable cubicle farm with sad fat people. TRAINING, it works, the trial by fire deal.. not the best way to motivate your employees. Lastly, compensation.. seriously. I was up in NY, NJ, PA, CT, RI etc working 7 days a week for 33k. That was the back breaker that made me move on.

Great Learning Experience

ProsExcellent Environment and people
    Growing company

Conspay is not up to current industry standards
    politics

independent agile programming

Programmer (Current Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

Prosability to work on your own

Consmay get lost easily, no specified breaks

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!