J. Crew

J. Crew Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler

Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • Enthusiastic coworkers, encouraging supervisors, great discount (in 82 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, Great Employee Discount, Great brand image cultivated by Mickey Drexler (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • On Call shifts, management that doesn't know how to properly schedule employees (in 35 reviews)

• You get No Benifits they keep all employees at part time (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job in college

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsGreat discounts, friendly and fun staff, upbeat environment, and you get commission. I loved it!

ConsThe on-call shifts are really annoying, and you basically have to be available if they need you, so its hard to make concrete plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the on-call shifts!!!

Absolutely perfect!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsI love it here. They are very organized and professional. They have great employees and my managers are awesome. One of the best retail job's I've ever had. Love the product too, they are quality.

ConsI do not have much to say about the cons of working here so far, but I guess they could improve the J.Crew credit card to be more beneficial.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Great Company

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsI worked for J.Crew for about 3 years and the environment was always a positive one. You get great perks like awesome employee discounts for working there and you get rewarded (individually and as a store) for meeting goals.

ConsI have nothing bad to say about working for J.Crew.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to keep your employees excited about the brand and well informed about new sales and clothing. Also, constant communication matters a lot in retail since things are constantly changing (clothing styles, sales, floor sets).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

keyholder

Keyholder (Former Employee) Canton, CT (US)

ProsGreat environment. Fun intelligent staff. Cross trained on all aspects of the store. Great benefits. Wonfderful discount

ConsWith the exception og 4 managers the store was entirely run with part timeres, as a result lots of turnerover.Poor communication between upper management (corporate) and in store management, Very minimal increases in pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe right hand needs to talk to the left

Fantastic place to work as a Personal Shopper

Personal Shopper (Former Employee) Nashville, TN (US)

ProsJ. Crew is amazing, if only for the discounts. However, the people are pretty great as well. It's a great way to make a reasonable living while working part-time.

ConsWorking on Saturdays is the pits. Store is busy, and that means more money, but your weekend is shot.

overall easy and relaxed company to work for.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Deer Park, NY (US)

ProsThe management team is friendly and easy company to work for

ConsThe company lacks up to date technology

Loved the company and people

ProsGreat discount, co-workers and product

ConsGrowth in the company is slow

Good company, but didn't make enough money to support myself.

Very Personal Stylist (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGreat discount, good company, fairly flexible hours.

ConsTerrible customers, compensation wasn't enough for the amount I was working.

Better than a lot of places you could work, but not by much.

Merchandise Processor (Current Employee) Lynchburg, VA (US)

ProsThe schedule ranges from 5-6 days a week with plenty of opportunities for overtime whether it be at the distribution center or a sample sale. An employee receives 2 breaks a day and in conjunction with a full-time schedule can receive health care benefits, tuition compensation, an amazing employee discount (35-50%), and up to 200hrs of paid time off. A bonus is rare, but each employee receives a pay raise at every yearly evaluation along with 25 to 50 cent shift differentials. Bereavement pay is also available should you lose a love one while employed.

ConsThe main issue is the 40-50 hr a week schedule. Most of the time its hard to balance family, work, and school. Management can be distant or uncaring at times, often over loading one employee with enough work for three people. An employee will spend the majority of the shift standing on a concrete floor and will lift heavy packages (up to 30lbs) multiple times a day which can lead to pulled/torn muscles. Most of the employees who are above the regular associates but below supervisors are much of the time under qualified for their positions and only got the job due to favoritism and lack a good work ethic and organizational skills. They only tell the employees what to do instead of helping to assist in the work load. There is a clear distinction between the have and the have-nots in this company. Many of the employees in the call center walk around with an attitude like they are better than the other distribution center workers. Plus they get paid more for sitting on their butt all day and dealing with customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can be nit picky. Often consulting with an employee if their percentages (production, IQA, attendance) drops even as much as 2%. Many of the managers/supervisors talk down to regular employees and often ask in a rude manner for the employees to complete a task. In the DC, even though cell phones are not permitted on the floor but only on breaks, managers will still walk in high traffic areas scrolling, texting, or sending emails which is a safety hazard.

Great company to work for. Provides great benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits from the get-go

ConsNot easy to move up

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!