JDSU

JDSU Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter

Thomas Waechter

Pros
  • There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week(in 9 reviews)

• Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are overworked - no work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Upper Management can't seem to get it together especially when dealing with the customers(in 10 reviews)

Up and down

Security Pigment Recon (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA (US)

Prosbenefits are ok
    like who I work with

Consmanagement seems lost and way to busy for be so top heavy here in Santa Rosa

Advice to Senior ManagementLets layoff more six figure staff the ratio of management to employee is tilted heavily toward management.

Not a good place for women

Finance (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA (US)

ProsCompany has fairly good benefits, quite old HQ office in Milpitas. Good work / personal life balance, had chance to work from home when had to. If you negotiate upfront, salary is at par with market. On-site cafeteria, very small gym. Very nice colleagues, smart people you can learn from.

ConsGood ol' boys club. Working in Corporate is highly political, women are promoted very rearly. Everything depends on the fact if you have an executive sponsorship - friendly VP who will put in a word for you, otherwise, you will die waiting for promotion.

Negotiate your salary upfront, salary raise is not happening there either. Merit happens once in a while. Bonuses promised, but after bonus calculation you get a small portion of what was promised to you. High attrition.

If you are an assertive smart woman with career aspirations, you are seen as threat to your male colleagues, given a hope for promotion and loaded with extra work (temporary as promised); however promotion never happens and temp assignments stay with you forever. Some senior managment is clearly lacking experience, you are expected to train them. Be aware of annual reviews: nitpicking and back stabbing is a norm.

Going to review meetings with executive management is seen as an opportunity to show that you are a part of the decision making, therefore is being coveted and reserved for directors and above only. Even if they can't explain details of your work due to lack of understanding.

Corporate vanity fair at it worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the house.

JDSU is a rewarding and interesting place to work!

Compensation Analyst (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA (US)

ProsThe company cares about employees and demonstrates this thru respectful management practices while pushing hard to compete in the marketplace. Management has done a good job in staying visible by communicating to the employee population on an ongoing basis thru the company website LightSource. When we showcase our products, we also showcase the people who make it all happen. The company takes employee feedback seriously and takes actions based on regular employee engagement surveys.

ConsChange is constant since we conduct a lot of acquistitions. We have a bonus plan, but it need to pay out at 100% more often.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep striving to win. Stay the course.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior software engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsFlexible work time in this company

ConsNo good career future in this company

Advice to Senior Managementcare more employee development

Big Company with a ton of Resources

Territory Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGreat People to work with

ConsBig company so lots of politics to deal with. Upper Management can't seem to get it together especially when dealing with the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot every territory works the same way.

It is a risky business if you join JDSU or if your company (business unit) is being bought by JDSU

Desktop Support Lead (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are still hired and if they don't sell your business out.. then it is okay..They do give out quarterly bonus (which means you don't have to wait for a year before leaving a job)
    Also you are pretty much on your own... if you like remote management

ConsRemote management is bad, since the company bought the business unit, I have 3 or 4 IT managers. All we did was talk on the phone to the manager. Basically, there is no interaction at all. Also, JDSU tends to like buy and sell. When it acquires business units, lay off follows, then if they find out your business unit does not make enough money, they will sell you out regardless... That means you are risking of losing your job if you join already acquired company by JDSU and/or work in the company that is about to be acquired by JDSU.

In addition, don't expect you can go to any training they offer. For the past few years I worked there, they were just "talking" about giving employees free training, sending out free classes, then the next day they said "using vouches"!, Even worse, after weeks of remote management meeting, they didn't even bother mentioning it. It is like trying to make you happy, and hold you there.. but never deliver the promise. Those are not close to the managers may not get anything but Talk !

Also, if they spend money, they don't really spend it wisely. Some people who are close to managers (i know politics) may benefit from it. Anyway, they tend to waste a lot money on travel expenses. They send employees out (all the way from head quarter) to other places to do the unnecessary task like to pack computers to ship back, and do migration. Sometimes they send them overseas. If they know how to manager, that amount of money could be saved by hiring consultants to do. Of course, as the chosen employee, you may like it, but I see it not practical at all!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake up your mind when you acquire. People will get disappointed at you eventually if you can't make your acquired business stay!

Mostly good products, mostly good people, terrible management

Engineering (Former Employee)

ProsGet to play with new toys and technologies early and often. Opportunity to travel, see challenges around the world if you're so inclined. Compensation is at or above industry average.

ConsThe higher up the ladder you look, the worse the quality of the leadership. Constantly shifting management initiatives often in conflict with each other. Outsource and reduce travel cost. Grow emerging markets but design everythign from NA/EMEA requirements. Improve margins but stick with all the wrong contract manufacturers. R&D and marketing run like a global company but without sharing resources across divisions, so act like competitors, meaning little-no opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo private, issue debt, or divest CommTest.

JDSU: Leadership Still Stuck in First Gear

Corporate Marketing (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA (US)

ProsEmployee insurance benefits; some of the best available.
    For the most part, talented, caring and hard working employees.

ConsCEO appears to have been sent from central casting in Hollywood, however, his personality and ability to lead and inspire the troops rivals that of a wet bag of cement. Additionally, HR leadership's focus on the employee engagement surveys (inflated scores does not equal employee satisfaction) must be something they are trying to impress the board of directors with.
    Overall, the executive management team talks a good game and posture's as if they care about the employees, but in reality they are several levels (and millions of dollars in salary) removed from caring about the employees of JDSU. As a mid level manager, as a whole I usually found the executive staff to be aloof, pretentious and distant. At JDSU, the higher you rise in the organization does not necessarily translate to how nice a person you are; the politics and backstabbing only seems to get worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not in executive and upper management's DNA, but for what it's worth, my advice would be to embody those Level 5 leadership qualities that you all supposedly follow and espouse. Sadly there's not a natural, authentic leader in any of them.

Quit the blaming

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Salem, VA (US)

ProsAmazing group to work with (co-workers).

ConsManagement has no idea of the culture created.
    "Age of accountability" has everyone scared of committing to a decision unless it's the "perfect" choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle mgmt - look at what your staff knows and stand up for them
    Sr. Mgmt - get a clue. It appears there is no connection to the customer, only Wall Street.

Great people, too many management layers

ProsBright colleagues, flexible working, cool office, reasonable autonomy

ConsToo many layers of management, don't have a clue what is going on back at the floor so make decisions in isolation. Decision making really slow, with no value having to go thru. Work life balance not great. While flexible working it means you work long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making decisions which impact people doing the role without knowing what it really means. Can't keep relying on those left to pick up the pieces. Why so many directors, vp and svp and do they all need to be involved in every decision. Get your top management lean.

Worked for JDSU? Contribute to the Community!