JDSU

Updated 26 November 2014
2.9

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter
Thomas Waechter

Pros
  • There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week (in 10 reviews)

• Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems disconnected to what is really happening (in 11 reviews)

• Employees are overworked - no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Always at the mercy of financial performance

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great technology and products. Competitive compensation.

Cons

Always felt threatened by layoffs if the company financial performance was not pleasing Wall Street. And it did not matter how good a job you did since it does not effect the stock price in the short term.

Don't just talk that the employees are valuable but demonstrate that you are committed to them through thick and thin. JDSU's culture of shedding employees to please Wall Street means that employees have no real loyalty to JDSU and will jump ship if they have the opportunity.

Transition and direction is not clear

Former Employee - Customer Service in Germantown, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Germantown, MD (US)

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Basic benefits are competitive. Salaries are lower with respect to expectations.

Cons

There is a communication gap between the executives and director levels and it is highly political. Company is getting stuck in process.

Check with the guys doing the actual work to see what they need. Work with those closest to the problem versus ladder climbing individuals.

Beware!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA (US)

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great CEO with great vision and approach. Good compensation package.

Cons

Division leaders are not in the same class as the CEO. Micro manage but talk about delegation and accountability but there is a serious lack of both. No home life balance and there's a lot of talk but the division leader behavior contradicts it. Leaders are indecisive.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Support Services Technician in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Support Services Technician in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits and lots of friends. There are training opportunities but you've got to ask for it.
    My position involves lots of traveling for business so I have the opportunity to travel round the country.

Cons

JDSU is involved in a lots of outsourcing, acquisition and mergers resulting in department and employee lay offs. Also not enough raises.

Good.

I have been working at JDSU as an intern

Pros

Managers are helpful, Internship program was organized

Cons

Interns do expect some gifts while leaving:)

Internship program should be 12week program. Interns should get some gifts !!

Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at JDSU (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good environment, employee benefits are good

Cons

Even I was laied off, european leadership do not understand latin america market

Worst place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA (US)

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing I experienced at this company was that I was paid very well compared to previous jobs. But now that I am on my own I am getting more.

Cons

Where do I start? There's no celebration of success internally. In most instances, when someone got promoted in my department, there was no announcement. We all found out months later, as if the company were trying to hide it. What I came to see is that most of those promotions were politically motivated and not deserved, so maybe hiding it was a good idea on management's part. There is no career development, no matter what HR tries to tell you. They put together some sad little program where they have speakers come in every month and talk to us, and they call that career development. Really? It's not career development, and in the last couple of months, it's not even well-executed. Lastly, JDSU is a company that manages its workforce using continuous layoffs because management is so bad that they can't find a way to make layoffs unnecessary. That would be called "good management". We all understand that even in the best companies, layoffs are sometimes necessary. But layoffs should be a last resort, not a workforce management tool.

When you use layoffs as a workforce management tool, all you're doing is creating a culture of fear. If you really care about the culture and morale of your company, manage your company well from the executive level down so that layoffs are no longer part of regular life, but only happen when there's no other option. There's no better way to create trust. If layoffs are happening continuously because there really is no other option, then you are creating a destructive cycle and maybe it's time to shut the doors.

Company grew through acquisitions, so really depends on which site/group you are a part of.

I have been working at JDSU full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Current CEO has done a good job over the past 5 years integrating all of the different sites to be more unified - one culture, improved communication, common goals.
    Pretty reasonable/flexible work schedule - heavy when critical deadlines, more relaxed when things are slower, not constant sweatshop.
    Diverse in terms of products/technology and sites/locations - opportunity to move around if you want to try something new by moving internally.

Cons

HR is unimpressive - no real concept of employee development/career paths, managers a lot of times on their own to handle their reports, have seen improvements over past couple of years though.
    Saw a lot of hiring from outside at higher management levels, rather than promoting/growing leaders from within.

Good Company

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

Freedom, personal growth is allowed

Cons

No direction, no training and bad benefit

Lots of people who care and want to do well for themselves and the business unit.

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions.

Cons

New management can't harness talent of existing team

Trust your people and you will be successful