JDSU Reviews

Updated 21 April 2015
196 reviews filtered by

I was with them for 14 years at a Director and Senior Management level. I also worked in 4 different locations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA (US)

I worked at JDSU

Pros

It allowed me to move around North America. The team I wor with was very professional and highly competent.

Cons

The current Management Team has no confidence in the employees and will not allow any decision without their approval. It is crippling the Optical division.
    It is being run like it was a garage company and not a publicly traded company

Advice to Management

I would empower the team to make the good business decisions they are capable of. The lack of respect given to these professionals is obviously holding them back.

Calling all workhorses....this place is for you!

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

People are genuinely nice and there are many opportunities to learn from some exceptional people, especially in IT. Some departments have flexible work hours and allow their people to work from home part time. But there are no 40-hr per week jobs at this company.

Cons

There are too many expectations on far too few people. Excessive outsourcing to low-cost regions takes a huge toll on the the people in the US who have to work around the clock to make that outsourcing somewhat successful. Sometimes Management says thank you, but the situation doesn't improve.

Advice to Management

Company needs some new leaders with proven track records.

No long term vision.... hopefully changing with the restructuring

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

Great co-workers. Dedicated and professional team. Decent benefits and compensation.

Cons

Manage quarter to quarter. Missed numbers in a quarter means layoffs. No patience for longer term projects that require ramp time. No long term vision.
    Cumbersome processes relative to available resource bandwidth.
    Organizational silos means even growing product lines and business units have cuts made to supporting organizations - left hand not talking to right. Why grow a product line if you can't service, sell or support it?

Advice to Management

You have an opportunity with the upcoming restructuring - don't waste it.

5. Short lived experience

Current Contractor - Logistics Coordinator in Minnetonka, MN (US)
    Current Contractor - Logistics Coordinator in Minnetonka, MN (US)

I have been working at JDSU as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyable coworkers and enjoyable hours

Cons

Cliques are a big trend in this office.

Advice to Management

Being more forthcoming and clear in messages would greatly improve the confusion around this office.

The best place I've worked, with incredibly talented colleagues... can leadership get its act together please?

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Milpitas, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at JDSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* JDSU is what you make it. The culture is much more personal and caring than a typical Silicon Valley engineering company. There are opportunities for people to really personalize their job roles in the direction of their own natural preferences. If you're good at what you do and are accountable to get things done, you can often "write your own ticket".
    * The engineers and specialists are outstanding in terms of both technical skills and attitudes (in general). Management skills have generally lagged behind technical skill development, and have only recently has there been any focus on helping managers be more than glorified supervisors. More consistent manager courses have begun to teach managers basic skills
    * There is a strong work ethic everywhere in the company. Work/life balance comes up a lot on employee surveys and is something company leadership addresses continually. Teams and individuals influence their own work cadence.
    * Despite a tough market, there are growth opportunities both in new jobs, new skills, and interesting projects that come up based on customer needs. Having a strong network internally helps to highlight these opportunities when they happen.

Cons

* Leadership is driven more by ego than good business sense. Senior leaders are not on the same page and barely communicate with each other. The culture is as good as it is in spite of them not because of them.
    * Decisions often based on whatever the highest ranking person in the room is thinking.. .that day. It's clear which executives care about the company and which care only about their own bonus payment or next job. Not sure whether they're not very smart or they think we're not very bright.
    * Promotions don't come along very often, they're usually driven by unusual events or reorganizations or power plays. Good training opportunities, but usually not enough time in the day to take advantage of them.
    * Silos, silos, silos!!! Business functions and tech teams often don't talk to each other. Information is not shared or assumptions are made the send people running off in different directions.

Advice to Management

Be a team. If you can get along with one another, it'll be easier for everyone on your direct report teams to do the same. If you want people to have work/life balance, have some yourselves. If you want people to be improving their skills, improve yours. We can tell what's important to you based on what you're actually doing, then we do that for ourselves. Be good examples. Lead.

7. Very talented people & good work environment, but hard to meet business expectations

Former Employee - Network & Service Enablement Business in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at JDSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People were very talented and willing to coach and train others
    Very flexible on work hours
    Vision for the company was reasonable, but was taking longer than desired.

Cons

Intense focus on quarterly results.
    It felt as if there were many teams, not necessarily one company or one business unit.
    They depended on too few critical people to make things happen

Advice to Management

Growth areas need sustained investment or they can't take hold.
    Too many execs hired from the outside....need to cultivate more from within.

8. High school drama on repeat

Current Employee - Production Technician in Santa Rosa, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Santa Rosa, CA (US)

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

The money is okay,
    There's a few people who will be friends for life.
    The things we do are really amazing/cool

Cons

The people dont treat temp employees nicely. Or eachother actually

Advice to Management

Fire stupid people.

It was a Job

I worked at JDSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Facility ok.. If you like 6x6 cubicles

Cons

Micro Managing down to the minute...

10. You will get really good work at JDSU but always there will be risk of cost cutting

I worked at JDSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for JDSU India. JDSU hires really brilliant talent and I was proud to be one. Office culture is really good, people around you are of helpful nature. If you like to do variety of work then it's a good place!

Cons

There is always risk of cost cutting.

Advice to Management

Management should trust their employees.

11. workplace with a lot of politics

I worked at JDSU full-time

Pros

there is overall good benefits

Cons

a lot of politics, lack of training