Jenny Craig

www.jennycraig.com

Jenny Craig Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Monty Sharma

Pros
  • Helping people change their lifestyles to achieve and maintain their weight loss goals (in 31 reviews)

• Great/Healthy way to lose weight when the program is followed (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Training is poorly thought out and the upper management doesn't really seem to care (in 24 reviews)

• Manipulative Market Directors, long hours without lunches and low pay (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

An ok job.

Weight Loss Consultant (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsI like helping people with their health goals. I like the 2-3 week training at the beginning. I like the teamwork. It's quite fulfilling and satisfying. i like that they can cover my shift quite easily if I need to take time off.

If i didn't like working with most of the people in my team, i wouldn't stay.

ConsYou are paid pretty much the minimum wage to consult to clients - and consulting can sometimes be emotionally demanding. You also have to consult, take the menu order and pack food for clients in less than 20 min each. When you have clients booked, one after each other, all day long, it can be exhausting, stressful and tiring. The commissions are so little, they are not worth the stress and minimum pay.

You will need a second job, a financially supportive partner or to live back with your parents if you want to make this your career - otherwise you can't support yourself on this salary!

Advice to Senior ManagementSince the arrival of the new CEO/owners means that most Weight Loss consultants' hours have been cut in the name of productivity. They will surely, maybe sooner, find out that we will not be able to deliver the high level of service in the less time to service clients, creating stress and dissatisfaction for the both the consultant and the clients.

Pay the consultants more and you'll get more loyalty, focus and commitment back.

Never work in this job

Weight Loss Consultant (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsFeels great to help clients

ConsBad management, poor hours, fallen promises, no career progression

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the way how you deal with employees. Management in each centre need to learn how to appreciate their staff in order to increase productivity instead of subtlety bullying them into work. Also make set hours and stop changing them in accordance to how the business is running. Learn how to appreciate what good your employees are doing and stop focusing on the bad only. If you are so strict on them all the time than how about train them in the first place and not throw them in the deep water or make sure that people actually have certain qualifications before you hire them. Stop changing your business all the time in a negative way you are pissing off clients and breaking relationships and also have high staff turnover because noone wants to put up with insecure crap. Set your hours straight, stop changing policies so much, appreciate your employees and create actual career opportunities. Employees can't have a career with a job that changes so much within themselves and with their employees. I believe some Jenny Craig centres are run very well around the world but with the bad eggs out there it is creating a bad impression for the rest. So far more than 50% of comments about Jenny Craig all over the net are negative.

Weight Loss Consultant - A Rewarding Job

Weight Loss Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsI worked as a Weight Loss Consultant in a Jenny Craig Center on the East Coast for two years. I worked part time (25 hours) during college and then went to full time (38 hours) once I graduated. I had a great experience and the job was a great fit for me at the time. The position was largely commission based, so the paychecks were not exactly the same every time, but I feel that I was fairly compensated. A little bit of sales knowledge was necessary to maximize every sale and in turn maximize my paycheck. Even if we were very busy, everyone pulled their weight because they knew that their paychecks would be impacted based on their contributed amount of work.

Helping people lose weight was a wonderful experience. It was great to be there with my clients every step of the way. A lot of my clients credited me with their weight loss success and thanked me endlessly. Of course they did all the work but it felt wonderful to be an inspiration to my clients.

ConsThe compensation is largely commission based, so it was a competitive environment among my female colleagues. There were also strong personalities that did not always mix when working in such an environment. In my center, there were some clear rules on when you should get credit for a sale and when someone else should get credit for a sale, and as long as everyone did the right thing, there were no problems.

There was not much room for growth. As a consultant, when my Center Director left, I wanted to be considered for the Center Director role with my newly obtained college degree. I was told that I needed to first move up through the appropriate levels including being a Program Director for at least a year. I was not interested in being a Program Director and ultimately left the company for an external corporate position.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sure a lot of employees do not like the commission based compensation, but I do. It makes each employee accountable for their amount of work. I don't think its a bad system and I feel that I was fairly compensated because the more work I put in, the more money I got in my paycheck.

I was at Jenny Craig while working toward my bachelors degree. When I graduated, I wanted to be considered for an open Center Director role in my center. I was told by my District Manager that I needed to move up through the levels first and be a Program Director for at least a year. A Program Director role was not currently open. Ultimately I left the company for an external corporate HR position. I think I understand the reasoning in that JC wants their senior level employees to be strong at all positions in order to fill in when needed. But my advice to management would be that rising through the levels shouldn't be a deal breaker. You probably have top talent in your lowest levels. These people just need to be developed to reach their full potential.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing chance to make a difference.

Manager (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA (US)

ProsSeeing people transform and become the best version of themselves.

ConsLots of continuous change can make things feel unstable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency is critical to gain trust.

Jenny Craig, great if starting off in sales and customer service

Jenny Craig Consultant (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsJenny Craig is a great company if you are starting off in sales and customer service.

The very best thing about this job is the relationships built with clients. I loved working with them week to week and helping them meet their goals. It is personally rewarding to help someone do something they have been trying to do for a long time.

Also office dynamics can be very good depending on the co-workers in your center.

ConsFinding coverage when needing time off was very difficult.

The pay was not great. The raise offered at the yearly review was pitiful.

The insurance benefits offered by Jenny Craig are not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better benefits and pay.

Have floats for various positions to help with coverage when employees need time off.

Great for Clients, Bad for Employees

Program Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsHelping people reach their goals and change their unhealthy dieting habits. Clients rely heavily on the advice shared by consultants, which makes us feel golden.

ConsThe pay is pretty low. There are no perks, no recognition and no room for growth,

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should treat your consultants better, with better pay & recognition, especially since you claim they are the secret ingredient to the program!

If they don't make some major changes, the company won't be around much longer.

Weight Loss Consultant (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsBuild lasting relationships with clients and motivate them to improve their health.

ConsCompensation is very low. Commission based on food sold but with all the new meal plan businesses offering higher quality / organic food, many clients choose to supplement JC meals with others and that takes a huge bite out of your paycheck. Good luck convincing your clients that processed, frozen foods with ingredients like high fructose corn syrup are a better choice!
    Management treats employees very poorly. There is very little flexibility and benefits are slim to none. Expect to work weekends, evenings, and holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-invent food offerings to match the needs and trends of today's health-conscious

Jenny Craig

Weight Loss Consultant (Current Employee) Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Prosclients are amazing best part of the job, seeing them achieve goals

Consdont pay enough, too much phone work, was not hired to be a telemarketer

Good place to start your business career, but don't expect much mobility

Center Director (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThis place has a very friendly atmosphere and the clients are fantastic. It is amazing to watch clients go through a life-changing transformation.

ConsTraining is poorly thought out and the upper management doesn't really seem to care. They are focused more on hitting quotas and retaining clients than actually creating a healthy work environment. Salary is not great at all, and if you hate being put on the spot in front of everyone in a training/sales scenario, this is not the place for you. Calling you out in meetings is the crux of how they train sales with employees. I personally feel that humiliation is often the result and do not pursue this practice as a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay and benefits are rather sad in this company. If you increased pay and benefits, you would ultimately experience a lower turn-over rate. You would also have more driven employees. Also, training for sales and calls should be an individual training event between a manager and subordinate. Stop with the round-robins and group displays. It's not a productive practice and often alienates those that struggle instead of giving personal training and counseling in their weaker areas.

Thank You - Finally!

Jenny Craig Home Office Employee (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA (US)

ProsHelping clients lose weight, co-workers and work location.

ConsLots of changes without the test of time, management doesn't listen to employees, HR practices that make no sense and bossy people. But I'm going to give the new management a chance to make things better.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for shedding the mean blonde duo at the top; they will not be missed and did not have the company's best interest in mind or any sense of professionalism, personal accountability or ethics. Talk about one covering for the other and then calling it legal - what a joke. We're in much better shape now. Nestle was fooled by them but thank goodness you weren't.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Jenny Craig? Contribute to the Community!