Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Johns Hopkins University President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels

Ronald J. Daniels

Pros
  • Very friendly environment and excellent work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • merit increases frequently capped at 2 % with no additional cost of living(in 6 reviews)

• There is safety issues around the Medical Campus, although it is less of a concern around Homewood(in 7 reviews)

Student Employee

ProsWorking on campus allows for a balance between academics and employment.
    Depending on where you work within Hopkins, hours are flexible and accommodating to busy student.

ConsStudent employment jobs are filled quickly.

Nice place to work and study

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsExcellent studying atmosphere, top level professors and college students, great campus environment.

ConsSometimes pressures from courses. Bad neighborhood for the medical campus.

Great classes, research opportunities. Take very good care of their students/employees, always innovating and improving

ProsGood benefits, great community, motivated employees

ConsVery competitive environment, can be a bit stressful at times.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

like the university a lot, good place to do a phd.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

Prosgood place to do a phd degree. very nice professors and atomphese.

Consproject can be very challenging and need a lot of time investment.

It was a wonderful place. The staff there were absolutely nice and very helpful and resourceful.

Mail Clerk (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsThe pros are that once you are in the Johns hopkins family its easier for you to move around for professional growth.

ConsThe cons were that if you are temporary even at your best efforts you could be let go of due to hiring status. I encourage you to keep trying!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for allowing myself to work with you and one day we shall work again in a different forum.

Worked at CTY, great program, great people.

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Lancaster, CA (US)

ProsSurrounded by brilliant people
    Students are really excited to learn
    Willing to give first time teaching opportunities
    Great staff culture
    Lancaster is a really fun, young town

ConsPay isn't great
    Tough hours
    Housing isn't great, especially for teaching assistants

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat program, keep getting talented instructors, perhaps get rid of study hall, as not much really happens there.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsIt is really a good school for scientist and students. The salary is OK, just house expense is too high in Baltimore.

ConsIt is really a good school for scientist and students. The salary is OK, just house expense is too high in Baltimore.

Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsBeing a teaching assistant was an enlightening experience: you saw how tests were graded and, sometimes, the flexibility that came in grading (maybe this wasn't a fair question; maybe this was worded funny; etc.). The pay was also pretty good at $12/hr. And usually professors are understanding come finals time.

ConsNo major cons really. It's a good experience that I would recommend taking if you have the opportunity. I guess the schedule isn't as flexible as other student jobs because you'll have to be there for class, but that's certainly understandable.

Great place to work. Very friendly.

ProsRoom for growth. Good bonuses

ConsSome evenings, need to cover sick days

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep people happy

Very fortunate to work here.

ProsSurrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits.

ConsSalaries are low and salary increases typically are less than cost of living increases, expensive parking, tight departmental budgets that don't allow for hiring of additional staff despite high workload volume.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have an exceptional performance appraisal, salary increases should be more than 1 or 2%. Salary increases keep staff motivated.

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!