Joie de Vivre

Add Photos

Niki Leondakis

It's Bigger Than Hospitality

I have been working at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is a passionate group of people that work very hard to make a difference in the industry. They are humble and caring. The company is growing, which means lots of career opportunities and growth. You can make an impact, be creative and have fun! There is open discussion and the CEO (Niki) and leadership team are very approachable and willing to listen.

ConsGrowing quickly, so it can be challenging for the processes and internal procedures to keep up with that growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Try to continue to expand the benefits packages. Don't grow too fast. Protect the unique culture that you have been building for the past year.

Wonderful Company

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time for less than a year

ProsFluid work schedule. Easy work environment. Great co-workers.

ConsNot an international business which is fine if you want to stay in country.

Overall a good experience in my career

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than a year

Pros-If you are hardworking, there is opportunity for advancement.
-Despite the issues I had with certain people there, my department manager is one of the best managers I've ever had. Received training I will use for the rest of my hospitality career
-Stayed at many great properties in the company, free!
-Made many friends and contacts. Referral bonus for getting friends hired

ConsPolitics.
Too many changes. After the merger with Thompson and Commune, it didn't feel like a small company or a big corporation, it was like an identity crisis.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire supervisors who say "I shouldn't have to praise people just for doing their job".

Not the company it use to be, and that's not a good thing.

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome really good people in place at the mid level management level.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement. A lot of talk of the company growing, but they have lost more hotels from their collection than they have added over the past 2 years. New CEO doesn't walk the talk. The Senior Leadership team she has assembled from her Kimpton days are all talk and little to no action. Overall poor communication from Sr. Leadership. the company culture is worse than ever. Unfortunately, when Chip left, so did Joie de Vivre.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some top quality talent that doesn't have a Kimpton pedigree.

Doesn't live up to the hype

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than a year

ProsA couple free nights at a JDV hotel each quarter

Cons- Dysfunctional management
- Lack of integrity
- Low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Be honest with them. Pay them appropriately so they don't flee to other companies. Give them genuine career opportunities. Offer decent benefits. JDV doesn't compare to other local companies. There's quite a bit of lip service to old JDV programs and services, the reality is a disappointment.

Growing company, new CEO making big changes

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than a year

ProsGrowing company with the merger of Commune hotels. Opportunity for growth is expanding rapidly.

ConsCorporate office is going through so many changes which trickles down lack of communication to the hotels. We are not getting answers on a lot of the direction the company is heading, bonus plans changing consistently with lack of communication to external sales departments at the hotels.

Overall I would say Joie de Vivre was a pretty good company to work for.

Bartender (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI would say the best part about working for JDV were the people that work there. The hotel I was working at got purchased by JDV and they came in and made a lot of changes. All in all the changes they made to the hotel were okay. They made some renovations to the F&B outlets of the hotel and brought in a new chef ect.

ConsWhile I was working at JDV there was a lot of change going on in upper management which led to an atmosphere of uncertainty amongst employees. With all of the renovations I would have expected to see in increase in business but that was not the case. I feel like JDV could have done a better job marketing and advertising to bring in business.

A perfect example of what might have been.

San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat opportunities to move up.
Great front office leadership across properties.
Training available to develop a career

ConsLack of Vision. Used to be a fun environment but has lost its glamour when founder stepped aside. HR department that is only interested in advancement not the employees needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because a company grows doesn't mean it should become corporate. Make sure your employees are taken care of

Not so joyful life

Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsOpen door policies
Company is continuously growing and has infinite growth potential, creating what would seem to be a lot of opportunity for those looking for a career.

ConsBeing at one of the properties outside of California you don't feel as though you have a lot of people to turn to as an example of company culture. Management seems to be young and inexperienced. Being outside of Cali. leaves you with little option for using your company perks. It is always said that this company is looking to promote from within but for the year and a half that I was there I never witnessed anyone actually be promoted, though various positions opened up. It was also my experience that there was absolutely no follow through on disciplinary actions. The hotel became known as the job no one could get fired from which might be a pro to some. Last but not least, running out of essential items such as, toilet paper, amenities, etc. for the guest, is completely unacceptable.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management would be to stop the madness. Yes you should be able to have fun at work, but there is a time and a place for that and there has to be a standared set. Stop treading on those that are asking for rules and regulations, aka. structure. You will eventually lose those in the staff that work hard, because nobody wants to work at 100% when the person next to them is getting paid the same amount and only doing 15% of the job. Also teach your managers in the workplace about proper fratinization and keeping boundaries amongst themselves and their employees. Keep the open door policie alive but actually do something with the legitimate concerns employees bring in to you.

Awesome company with great values

Server (Former Employee)
Santa Cruz, CA (US)

I worked at Joie de Vivre part-time for more than a year

ProsThe people that Joie de Vivre attract as employees make the experience. They are always upbeat and management looks for ways to improve the experience for them

ConsAs with most hotels there are a ton of seasonal positions, so turnover is extremely fast paced and makes it difficult to acquire full time positions

Worked for Joie de Vivre? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Joie de Vivre reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Joie de Vivre CEO Niki Leondakis. All 18 reviews are posted anonymously by Joie de Vivre employees.