KB Home Reviews

Updated 29 June 2014

2.9

KB Home President, CEO, and Director Jeff Mezger
Jeff Mezger

Pros
  • Very good training program both in product training and in Sales skill set training (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to learn if you want to get started in the business (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • High pressure, micromanaged, long hours, no work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• The Raleigh division unfortunately was vary disorganized at the local level (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great atmosphere! Great upward mobility

Former Employee - DUP  in  Vero Beach, FL (US)
    Former Employee - DUP in Vero Beach, FL (US)

I worked at KB Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

KB Home prides itself on its brand and general employee morale. I enjoyed my time at KB and would likely still be there if construction hadn't come to a grinding halt.

Cons

Management above the local division level did not care to understand the specific local issues confronting our division. They assumed that due to their company's size they could dictate timelines to local municipalities. It created a slight cognitive dissonance for the rank and file employees

Keep the great atmosphere, but listen to the local division mangement.

Work work environment of my life

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at KB Home for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers were some of the best people.

Cons

Management doesn't know what the workload is like for "lower employees". Everyone is overworked and underpaid. Each person they call a coordinator for the different departments is a fancy way of saying whipping post or flunky. Decisions are made with in a knee jerk way and they are reactive instead of proactive. I've never worked somewhere that constantly piles on the work yet tells you they are unhappy with your performance but in the next breath they ask you to write a job description of what you do. How can you be unhappy with my performance if you don't even know what I do? The reason they don't know what anyone does around there is because the turnover is so high they just put people in chairs and tell them to get to work. There's no training or explanation about what to do because there hasn't been anybody there long enough to know what to do. Management runs around barking orders and expects everyone to bow in front of them like everyone else is beneath them. I had the same role the entire time I worked there but at one point I was doing manual labor like moving furniture every week for the sales meetings. It wasn't until I put my foot down and said that I could no longer move furniture that they hired someone to do it. What makes this so comical is that the time it took me to move furniture every week wasn't taken into consideration for my other duties. So I would get asked why I didn't get other things done. I wanted to scream and say it's because I WAS MOVING FURNITURE! I did everything from fetch breakfast and lunch to payroll functions and complex data analysis for pennies. My salary wasn't equal to the things I was asked to do.

Think long and hard about the things you ask employees to do before you make a decision. Stop changing things like the wind. Make a decision and stick with it. Instead of having morale boosting barbecues in the parking lot every 90 days, pay the employees more money.

Great Company

I worked at KB Home full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working for an established home builder. They moral was high despite the times. I was laid off within a year, but the year that I worked at the corporate office, I truly enjoyed.

Cons

Pay was not very good. No perks or bonuses for administrative staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

love the job, not the finance company

Current Employee - New Home Sales Consultant  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at KB Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love my job. It is your business. What I hate is the preferred lender. They have awful customer service and they wait till the last minute to deny a buyer; even if they would have qualified with a different bank. You can make really great money. Long hours, time management is huge. Benefits are great, 401K company match

Cons

Long hours. You can work less if you want to make less. No paid vacation time off. Never a weekend or holiday off. Sometimes on your day off you are going in to write a contract. Construction sometimes not on the same page and the structure can become disorganized.

I think more unity on structure between construction and sales needs to happen.

Treading water

I have been working at KB Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, flexible work schedule

Cons

No room for career growth

Great Builder

I have been working at KB Home full-time

Pros

This job provides a good opportunity to make great money

Cons

I am not a fan of working every weekend and holiday

Ok Company. Lacks innovation. Quick to hire and fire.

Former Employee - Forward Planner
    Former Employee - Forward Planner

I worked at KB Home full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Salaries and decent benefits. They do a good job of corporate branding and team building.

Cons

It is an economic home builder that wants to crank out economic houses for good margins. There is nothing wrong with this, but it feels more like an assembly line rather than a premier developer. Corporate executives make decisions on local communities even though they lack micro economic knowledge on these metros. Decisions are often made like high frequency wall street traders....in essence if executives read a headline that the home market is slowing they could be firing, if they read a headline that says otherwise they will hire. So basically there is not a lot of stability or long-term strategy. It is make a profit quickly at any expense. They are not thinking of 5 or 10 years from now.

KB Sales Associate

I worked at KB Home for more than 5 years

Pros

Very good training program both in product training and in Sales skill set training. The agent learns also much about the construction process.

Cons

More difficult than most agents think. Far more responsibility for managing sales and site. Must meet quotas. Work weekends and Holidays.

Give incentives as well as periodic time off since Work Life Balance is difficult for those who have families.

Incompetent management and executives

Current Employee - Not Sales, Corporate Related
    Current Employee - Not Sales, Corporate Related

I have been working at KB Home full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Name is ok depending on division, decent experience, some of the people are great

Cons

No opportunity for advancement, way too much corporate reporting, only thing that matters is what people in LA think, no decision making at the local level whatsoever

Solid Company. High expectations. Not for wimps.

Current Employee - New Home Sales Associate
    Current Employee - New Home Sales Associate

I have been working at KB Home full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clear expectationswith a culture of accountability.

Cons

There are no excuses accepted if you don't achieve your numbers.

Worked for KB Home? Contribute to the Community!