Kangaroo Express

Updated 20 December 2014
Updated 20 December 2014
2.2

Dennis G. Hatchell

Pros
  • You get to meet a lot of new people as well as get to know you're regulars (in 2 reviews)

• meeting new customers and new people (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • under paid , bad upper management no full time no benfits , (in 5 reviews)

• I work minimum wage, but there is no such thing as a raise after one year (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Depends on your location

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Kangaroo Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cashiers start above minimum wage, promotions possible, fun atmosphere if you are in one of the newer stores, nice touchscreen registers

Cons

Also depends on location but likely very high customer volumes, store managers low salary, assistants about 10 hourly, swing hours

Corporate needs to address the condition of some stores and focus less on marginal profits

A Studdy of Mixology (of sorts)

I have been working at Kangaroo Express full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The important thing to realize, as with the cons, is that your experience working for the company will ultimaely vary based on which location and specific store you work in. Your coworkers will influene your experience considerably, as will the customers that frequent your store. In my personal experience, my managers have generally been very friendly but the assistant manager has an attitude problem that even the manager can't stomach. The manager is flexible with the schedule (a plus side for college students and employees with active lives). I work full-time, and have for the last 5 years or so (and have worked with the company for 8 years all-in-all, going on 9) and have dental, vision, and health benefits. Also, free drinks while on the job (but that's about as far as the perks go).

Cons

Now, the downsides...Unfortunately the people who oversee the company as a whole don't quite seem to understand that every location is different from the next and so they won't always have the same customer base. They waste a lot of money on trying to make most stores carry the same things despite the interests of their customers not being the same, and they specialize in micromanagement of even their store managers and district managers. They expect you to keep the store in top clean condition ("hospital clean" was the last thing I heard it referred to) but they cut back the budget with which the store gets supplies to do so. They'll stuff the term "plus selling" down your throat so often you want to vomit it back up in their faces (particularly because your customers will eventually get angry or annoyed at hearing it repeatedly, but God help you if they catch you not doing it regardless). It's extremely difficult to move from part-time to full-time employee now. They focus more on what the public thinks about how the store looks than on how you make the customers feel, and the head office seems to go to great lengths to undermine your executive decisions ("I'm sorry that our employee caught you stealing and kicked you out of the store. Here, have a gift card and feel free to come back anytime." ...Yeah. That seriously happened, and then they wonder where their money's going?) Part-time employees don't get the option of the benefits full-time employees get, and if you want a raise, you need to almost constantly remind managemen that you're due for one. You'll usually start off at around $8/hour, though. You will sometimes work with coworkers who just can't be bothered to do anything (and get away with it, when you may or may not be able to do the same) and who have the worst attitude imaginable, and others who are bright and sunny and hard working. Management may be devoted and considerate or cold and rude. Don't get sick too often, or you might have to have a talk with the district manager about not missing more work under threat of losing hours in the future and have to bring a doctor's note for missing two consecutive days of work (what a waste of money THAT is.) Also, there are a variety of customers; some are nice and friendly and will joke around with you, others are shy or just not into talking much and just make their purchases and leave, while others are loud and vulgar and the rudest people on the planet (*cough*collegestudentdrunks*cough*). Corporate does not seem to value the rights of their employees in some cases (see Advice to Management.)

Corporate needs to stop micomanaging everything their lower employees do, and place more emphasis on each place as an individual location rather than lumping them all into one pile and then scratching their heads wondering why their business model isn't working. Don't undermine your employees for trying to do what's right for the company by rewarding bad behaviour. Put deep consideration into employee reviews conducted by the corporate big wigs, themselves, rather than blindly taking someone's word for it because you have a lot of dead weight working for you in places and people who work doubly as hard as they should just to make up for it so the stores meet your expectations. Your customers are not always right despite the saying, and not all of them are innocent angels; your employees have rights, too, and you need to consider acknowledging them when we're cussed at instead of giving the customer cussing us FREE MONEY because we asked them to leave. :/

It's a job, I guess. Hours of standing with no real breaks and low pay. The typical gas station job.

Former Employee - Cashier in West Hattiesburg, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in West Hattiesburg, MS (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express

Pros

Free drink and coffee all day (which is a con as well).
    Insurance
    Laid back at times
    Weekly pay is convenient

Cons

No discounts
    Incompetent store managers
    High employee turnover
    Old fashioned cash accounting process

Not So Good

I worked at Kangaroo Express

Pros

Met new people and made a lot of friends

Cons

No set schedule, low pay, and bad environment

Its work if you need it

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Kangaroo Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

they are always hiring people

Cons

they are always hiring because the turnover is so high due to poor upper management

value your employees and communicate with them

Sales Associates

I have been working at Kangaroo Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, flexible schedules, fast paced

Cons

compensation, some customers, no benefits for part time

Poor Management

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Kangaroo Express part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get free drinks. That's it. One time, the company even tried to take that away.

Cons

If you would like to know how little the company cares for their employees let me share this little story: A young man worked there and got called in all the time because of other employees were always calling out, although he never missed a day. One day he was called into the office because they said that he had too many hours and that they had to cut him back for almost an entire year. So, they forced him to sign a paper authorizing them to punish him for being a good employee. I saw this poor kid in tears begging them not to do this to him. Did they care? Of course not. Then, when full time positions came around they refused to give it to him "because of his work ethic." Bullcrap. All I can say is that I hope that young man gets a lawyer and sues the pants off of that company for how they treated him. I do NOT recommend this company to anyone.

Grow a conscience and realize that you are screwing with people's lives.

Awesome great customer service friendly

I have been working at Kangaroo Express

Pros

friendly Customers being able to make the customers happy and love coming here knowing that it's very clean it's caring

Cons

Rude mean customers bad attitudes

You dont always have to be mean and hard to have great workers

It was a wonderful life learning experience.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hoover, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hoover, AL (US)

I have been working at Kangaroo Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed meeting all different kinds of people. It was a very diverse group of customers.

Cons

Lack of advancement in career.

No advice to share.

Madness

I have been working at Kangaroo Express

Pros

Free drinks are hardly considered a pro

Cons

No breaks
    Shifts consisting of janitorial, customer service, stocking & cash register duties which your required to do all almost at the same time
    You can't work more then 28 hours a week. At minimum wage after taxes are taken out that's making less then $690 a month, if you get that many.
    I haven't even been here 4 months & the only reason I'm staying is because it's close to home, I'l definetly be leaving soon.
    Even if you make 9$/h your making less then someone working ft @ minimum wage

Allow full time work people have bills to pay and families to feed